Hey Fellow Doctor Who fans *SPOILERS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Fellow Doctor Who fans *SPOILERS*

what exactly did the silence do that made them more evil than the daleks and cybermen?
    I mean the doctor always gives everyone a chance to surrender but not them.
    Why did the doctor need to make the human race be brainwashed into genocide?

While we're at it who was that voice in the tardis last season I mean you'd think after half a season it would have at least been mentioned?

You know at least russel t davies stuck to his storylines.
    Last edited by Boozy; 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM.

The story's not over you know. I have a feeling that it'll pull together.

As for what the silence did

1) The doctor had no way to put them up against a wall to get them to surrender. And even if he could, how would he accept a surrender if they did? He couldn't remember it. Perhaps he knows more than he's letting on. Perhaps he considered them too big a threat, or felt they'd meddled too much.

2) I entirely don't remember the voice in the TARDIS. I don't not believe there was one, I just don't remember it. Could you link me to when it happened? I could at least take a guess.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about continuity in Dr. Who, honestly. I mean, there's decades of Dr. Who to keep track of. My honest advice is really don't be concerned about it. Because there were times that previous doctors didn't give the bad guy a chance.

Honestly, though, I think Moffat's greatest weakness as show-runner is that he's not making a show with time travel, he's making a show ABOUT time travel. Its bound to get a little timey-wimey, as 10 put it. Besides, even if neither question is answered, every series has a few clunkers in it. Remember "Love and Monsters"? And I didn't much care for "Fear Her" either.

I'm not sure whether I like Moffat more or less than Davies. I know I like Smith better than Tennant. Moffat, well, he's got a different style. Its more continuity heavy, which I usually consider a bad thing. But hey, there's things I like and don't like about everybody's tenure on the show.

I think both Moffat and Davies have too many episodes about saving the world. There's only so many times you can save the planet before it starts to become mundane. I think some of the strongest episodes have just been about saving a small group of people.

Doctor who's a hard show to be a fan of. Because its bound to be inconsistent, and there's so much turnover.

Personally, I think the show was ruined when they put a time traveling alien in a perfectly good schoolhouse drama. :P
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

The only voice in the Tardis I remember is in The Doctors Wife from the first half of the current season (which returns tonight ) Where the tardis gets transfered into a humanoid body and something enters into the tardis.

As for the Silence and their 'genocide' it was said by a Silence itself that we should kill them on sight, it might not have said it had it know it was being filmed
      When part of your power is hypnotic sugestion you should choose your words more carefully.
      edit:
      the way the silence works, that brief phrase broadcast in the moon landing feed could later be removed from the recordings by the Doctor or someone wanting it to be just a one off 'warning' for them to keep out of human affairs, even if it was hinted they might have helped us evolve or atleast develop as they had been here for yonks
      They needed a space suit for Melody Pond and we at the time had no plans to enter space, so infiltration and sugestion got us (or the US) gearing up for space travel along with the Russians, so the space race was their fault.

In the trailer for the remaining half of this season River Song is seen with an eye patch that makes her look like a younger version of the 'woman in the wall'.

I like how they had a two parter to establish the flesh and then use that as a means to explain away the tardis' problem with Amy's pregnancy.
      Last edited by Ginger Tea; 08-27-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

season finale last year, crack appears and someone laughs saying the silence will fall

Comment

The big bang episode sealed all cracks I'm sure, Don't have the box set at hand to watch, but the phrase was uttered alot in episode one and I'm sure it appeared throughout (along with the season arc unknoticed by the doctor cracks).

Least this episode (Let's kill Hitler) answered one question I had about the ending to silence in the Library or whatever the second part was called (spoilers so I won't say) afaik the episode airs on the same day in the states as the UK so you have something to look forwards to.

edit:
          Originally posted by gremcint View Post
          season finale last year, crack appears and someone laughs saying the silence will fall
          Or are you on about the mid season break the Devils Run?
          I'm sure I heard silence will fall at some point in this season (aside from maybe a voice over flashback of prisoner zero (as the mother and two children) saying it in the first two episodes centred around the silence.*)

*Spoilers do not read till after watching let's kill Hitler

not the name of the species, but a religion.
          Last edited by Ginger Tea; 08-27-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking about demon's run at all, at the end of last season cracks appeared and someone said the silence will fall, I want to know who that is. Yes I just watched the most recent episode now which help clear it up a little.

Comment

I thought my box set was in storage, like the Eccleston/Tennent run, but I've just watched the last few minutes of the big bang and no "silence will fall." at the end where abouts in the episode is it?

Part of me is thinking it might be an American over dub re the voice, but a crack appearing is a bit suspect for the end of the show seeing as him walking through the one in Amilia's bedroom sealed them all up.
              Much as I like the show, I don't fancy watching all of it just to find one sound bite and visual motif, when both have appeared in most episodes.
              Last edited by Ginger Tea; 08-28-2011, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Well, I'm only partway through season 3 of the modern run, so it'll be a while before I get to the end of Tennant's run.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

actually I was wrong it's near the end of the previous episode with river song in the tardis. a voice says it, the crack appearing I'm remembering must be from somewhere else in the season. doesn't change my question though.

It just honestly felt like they forgot about the storyline right until this last episode.

Comment

iir the cracks are caused by the tardis exploding and then sealed by the doctor walking through the one in Amilea's bedroom.

Will have to watch the panorical opens episode again,

The main unanswered question is, who what where when how, did someone take the tardis from AD whenever to the date of Amy's Wedding, im sure River didnt set the time to then, someone/thing else did.
                    I'm sure this question will be answered, perhaps not in this season, but at some point, something took the tardis to that date and caused it to explode, answering every question in the final episode or leaving questions un answered for the next season, I'd go with looking forwards to answers later on.
                    Last edited by Ginger Tea; 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

The thing is, River is the only one in the tardis and the first time the voice is heard and the screen cracks, I think she is already outside and again when it does happen in ear shot of her she has her hands full with a full on tardis takeover.
                      After being freed from the timeloop they are a bit preocupied with a Dalek and the world's imminant joining of the universe in oblivion to just stop and say "Oh by the way, someone took control of the TARDIS and sent me to the future and said 'silence will fall' quite alot."

Then also, this is River we are talking about, she doesn't like letting the Doctor know spoilers and also the only instance I do know of her post big bang is the Weeping Angels two parter, when she says "I know, I was there when it opened.", OK her Debut two parter predates that, but was that story arc even concieved for them to worry about?

TL;DR only River was there and River won't give out any info of future Doctor adventures, bar asking if hes met this that or tother like in the Impossible Astronaught episode, which I asume is post big bang.

Comment

The doctor does comment that someone took control of the tardis and they need to deal with it.

Comment

I think they did that as a set up for Demon's Run where we find out the Doctor is losing his control. Committing genocide sets him up for becoming the villain and nightmare that people were seeing him to be. Tennant already established that the Doctor has lived too long, and now Smith is starting to deteriorate.
                          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

The question is where do we go from Smith? There's no way he'll be the last Doctor, the ratings are too good.

Tennant's run had to end. But what is Smith's story arc going to be

The 'lived too long' doesn't seem to fit for him. Though the idea of him fighting to keep his reputation from becoming twisted might.
                            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post

The 'lived too long' doesn't seem to fit for him. Though the idea of him fighting to keep his reputation from becoming twisted might.
                              So does him not dying... after all, we do see him get shot... so it is entirely possible that he is trying to change history (even though he says he wouldn't do that, there is a lot of things he's said he'd never do that he has done now).
                              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
                              X