Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like watching Dr. Who?

For people who are british that is.

I've never seen the show, except a brief part of an episode when I was very young that creeped me out, and I just watched one today that was actually pretty cool, if not confusing.

But it occurred to me part of the entertainment is just the fact that many of us americans can listen to a british accent all day and it's just the awesomest thing ever. But if you're already british and don't hear the accent...what's it like?

Whilst I don't claim to be much of a Dr Who watcher, I would say "Depends on the season". As I think the show has straight up changed genres at least 6 times depending on the current actor playing the Doctor, and the show's budget at any given time.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
      But it occurred to me part of the entertainment is just the fact that many of us americans can listen to a british accent all day and it's just the awesomest thing ever. But if you're already british and don't hear the accent...what's it like?
      I'm American and I'm just going to say that's not the reason why I watch Dr. Who. It's good Sci-fi/Fantasy. Yes, the accent's a bonus, but not the entirety of why I watch. Otherwise I'd be able to have BBCA on all day and not care what's playing.
      I has a blog!

Comment

If the confusing episode was from the Matt Smith current season, then yes confusion abound if you haven't seen his first or the rest of this season, there is alot of ongoing story arcs in this one that could play out for some time, as well as encapsulated episodes like last weeks.

Regarding the accent, Ecclestons northern accent wasn't watered down, yet Tennant poshed his Scottish accent out of the way (save for that one episode with Queen Victoria and the werewolf, no idea if thats Smith's normal voice or not.
        AFAIK all previous doctors had Queens English upperclass hues to their voices (even if they them selves might not have been) half due to writing and half being more acceptable to the ears, what if he had regenerated into an actor with a full on Geordie accent, I don't think it would survive stateside without subtitles.

Even local news reporters tend to subdue the regional accent in preference to a more national BBC way of talking.

Comment

The one I saw was like a christmas one with the spider queen and stuff. it made more sense after I read a little bit about it. Overall it's quite enjoyable. But I can't tell if it's meant to be funny or not. I find it funny, but that might just be me.

Comment

The accent's a bonus, definitely, but I watch for the stories and the acting.

I actually watched the spider queen one recently. Even if you were a regular watcher, that one could have been a little confusing as it was a mostly one-off with references to an earlier episode.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

been years since I watched that one.

Yes it can be funny at times, either the Doctor saying/doing something or something else, least its not like the old days where it was piss funny just cos of the 'monsters', just watch Radio dead air's Nash's videos of classic who to see those in action.

Comment

I have to admit, I don't like the most recent Dr. Not a patch on the others. I prefer the old series, with the plastic wasps and men in bacofoil. XD
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I treat the Eccleston Dr as a reboot not a continuation of the old run, even if I'm the only one doing so.

Special FX by blue peter "and here's one I made earlier"

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                    I'm American and I'm just going to say that's not the reason why I watch Dr. Who. It's good Sci-fi/Fantasy. Yes, the accent's a bonus, but not the entirety of why I watch. Otherwise I'd be able to have BBCA on all day and not care what's playing.
                    Yeah, I could watch David Tennant's seasons just to listen to that man speak (God how I have a love affair with his voice)... but even without that it's a good sci-fi show... better than anything American television has come up with since Battlestar Galactica went off the air.
                    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      God how I have a love affair with his voice.
                      Same here with me and Pam Ayres, if she's still alive, even when she was young, she might be 70ish by now, she wasnt a looker, but her voice ...
                      To a lesser extent the same with the original Cadburys Caramel Bunnies voice.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Ayres

Still going, apparently. About mid sixties, if my maths is correct.

Rapscallion
                        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          Yeah, I could watch David Tennant's seasons just to listen to that man speak (God how I have a love affair with his voice)
                          And yet he only uses his real accent in one episode.
                          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                            And yet he only uses his real accent in one episode.
                            not his accent, his voice... I don't care what accent he is using, it always sounds incredibly good

Matt Smith's voice is growing on me.
                            Eccleston didn't leave fast enough.
                            Of course, George Takei also has an amazing voice, as does Leonard Nemoy, and Sean Connery and Andrew Lee Potts.

Yeah, I've told my husband it's a good thing he has a good voice... if you haven't noticed, I have a thing for voices
                            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Oh, I could listen to George Takei talk forever.
                              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X