Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtney Love owns Nirvana

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog...-grohl-doesnt/

Hole was playing in Sao Paulo and a fan held up a picture of Kurt Cobain, causing Ms. Love to freaking lose her shit and march off stage. She explained herself afterwards, saying that she owns Nirvana with Frances Bean and Dave Grohl is an evil asshole who rakes in $5 million/concert while Kurt's family suffers, basically. Also, that the Foo Fighters are taking food off her kid's table.

Okay, first of all, Frances Bean is hardly a child and is reportedly engaged. Love didn't even really raise her. So, brava on using your child as a prop, but no go.

The more important question, for me, is...who owns Nirvana? Not just in a "Who owns the rights to the music" way. I would think that the remaining guys who were actually band members (Grohl and Krist Novoselic) would have more of a right to the royalty money than the chick who happened to be married to the lead singer.

Also, she seems to imply that Grohl had no right to go out and start a band of his own..a wildly successful one at that. I'm sorry, but just because a band member decided to shuffle off this mortal coil doesn't mean the other two have to give up music forever. He wanted to make a living making music and he's done that. I don't get the problem there. Now, if you want to call the Foo Fighters sellouts or mainstream, then fair enough. I happen to really like them, but I get that other people don't. But that's not what she's saying.

So, two topic questions: Who owns Nirvana? and Is Dave Grohl a terrible human being for being successful in a different band?

I think if Dave Grohl had given up music after Kurt's death that Kurt would have come back and kicked Dave's ass.

As far as the royalties I honestly don't know but I would think that some should go to Courtney like any other artist where the royalties go to his/her family after that artist's death.

On the other hand I totally support her freaking out onstage. Personally I would think it in poor taste to be all, "Love your stuff but here stare at this picture of your dead husband that the world will never let you move past."

I don't know if her stated reasons were for freaking out were the real ones but really if my dad had become famous for his books before he died and I had to spend the rest of my life hearing about how great he was when I am trying to do my own stuff I would probably lose my shit once or twice.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

I did a bit of Wikipedia-ing after posting the OP. After Nevermind, the band rearranged the songwriting royalties so that Kurt got 75% and Novoselic and Grohl shared the other 25%. After Cobain's death, Novoselic, Grohl, and Love formed a LLC to oversee Nirvana-related stuff. Love nearly broke up the corporation, but they came to an agreement. Love recently sold 25% of her share in the Nirvana song catalog.

I'm not sure how that all pans out in the end, but there it is. Personally, I don't think Love should get much of anything. She's an attention whore and a junkie. Frances Bean, on the other hand, I think should get a nice trust fund.

If she had freaked out about the picture, that's one thing. Taking the opportunity to lash out at your dead husband's bandmate, while topless I might add, is just extreme.

Comment

Working...
      X