No announcement yet.

Sexist Soda Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only tongue in cheek, but reverse psychology. "You can't handle it." = a lot of people who will say "Oh yeah? Watch me." I think it is a funny commercial. Maybe not the smartest move, and maybe they missed the mark, but I can't help but laugh at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazzi View Post
      Ginger Tea.. you forgot the bit about the offside rule http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcjlzSod0CE
      That irritates me cuz a) a lot of guys who are into football don't even know what the offside rule is and b) as a woman who loves football, used to play it and has supported the same team since she was a kid, I get very annoyed when guys do the sexist thing of assuming that I don't know fuck all about football, just cuz I'm female.
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

you know what I take away from this? there are 23 flavours of dr. pepper?

Comment

No, there are 23 flavors in Dr Pepper.

But there are quite a few flavors of Dr Pepper, too. I just wish they'd make more of them as regular instead of diet.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            What's funny is that I'm the one who likes the blow-'em-up action movies. Fiance has been trying for months to get me to watch The Notebook. I asked for his man card.
            Oh, go ahead and watch it. It's the sort that's good even if you don't like movies like that.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

What the ad executives were trying to do was get men interested in their specific diet soda. Apparently, there have been studies that show more women drink diet sodas than men. So to counteract this, the company added 10 extra calories (more sugar?) and are telling men, "This one is for YOU! ". They hope that this tactic will somehow make men care about diet drinks.

It's weird that ad executives are making the claim that women don't like action movies. A lot of women will go for the action, while others will go to the movie so they can stare at a hot, muscular man for 2 hours. Seriously, I dare them to find an action movie screening that has an all-male audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
                Seriously, I dare them to find an action movie screening that has an all-male audience.
                If one could be found, I'd be willing to wager that a good percentage of said audience would be rather less than manly.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  Oh, go ahead and watch it. It's the sort that's good even if you don't like movies like that.
                  I would rather drag broken glass across my eyes.

Comment

When it comes to movies, I usually gravitate towards horrors and thrillers with a few comedies thrown in. However, there have been a few "chick flicks" I have enjoyed. For example, I thought "The Proposal" was pretty enjoyable. I don't know if "Four Christmases" is classified as a chick flick (it's sort of a romantic comedy), but I did really enjoy it, too.

When "Dear John" was in theaters, I thought about going to see it, just because I like Amanda Seyfried. I still haven't watched it, though.

As for the sexist ads, yes, it gets old. However, some of the things that people complain about being sexist towards men are also pretty sexist toward women, IMO.

It's not an ad, but people often claimed that the show "Everybody Loves Raymond" was insulting to men because the character Ray was such a bumbling douche (and he was). However, was Debra really complementary to women? Seriously, if someone suggested all women were like Debra, wouldn't that be a put-down to women? I mean, she's fussy. She's a nag. She gets outrageously ticked off over the pettiest things, and overall she has a very nasty mean streak that pops up at very inappropriate times.

Another example is "King of Queens." Sure, Doug is fat, lazy, and he's not above lying and using trickery and underhanded means to get what he wants. But Carrie's not, either. On top of that, she's self-centered, snippy, and materialistic.
                    Last edited by guywithashovel; 01-31-2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      That irritates me cuz a) a lot of guys who are into football don't even know what the offside rule is and b) as a woman who loves football, used to play it and has supported the same team since she was a kid, I get very annoyed when guys do the sexist thing of assuming that I don't know fuck all about football, just cuz I'm female.
                      I have no clue about about the offside rule, but, it was main thing that I remembered about the Yorkie ad. After reading what GT wrote about the rest of the ad, it seemed familiar, so I looked it up for a refresher & noticed that bit was the only bit he missed in his description... good memory there!

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                      I see ads everyday that make stereotypical and sexist pokes at men and nobody really bats an eye, yet Dr Pepper had dared to market a product with an ad campaign that's saying, "Sorry ladies, this is guy stuff!" and women get all bent out of shape[...]

These ads have been running for years, and these stereotypes have been the basis of the ad industry from the beginning[...]
                      And as long as they sell products, either through the ad humour or because someone complains & draws attention to it that way... its a win/win situation for the ad makers I'd actually not heard of the drink before I saw this thread!

Comment

Do the adverts that make out men to be incompetant at "womens work" do so to reinforce the belief that only women should do it? Thus showing a man's inability to do task and a woman taking it over, might as well have the male actor wink knowingly at the camera.

Comment

Seriously, I dare them to find an action movie screening that has an all-male audience.
                          A screening? Easy enough. I've been to the movies a few times when there were only five or ten people in the theater. All you have to do is look a couple weeks after the movie comes out, at an odd time of the week. Surely *some* audiences that side will be all of whatever demographic you want, just by chance

I'd be willing to wager that a good percentage of said audience would be rather less than manly.
                          Action movies often involve well-built guys with less than the average amount of clothing. That part, at least, I'd have thought would appeal to women as well as "less than manly" men.

I would rather drag broken glass across my eyes.
                          As you wish…
                          Do the adverts that make out men to be incompetant at "womens work" do so to reinforce the belief that only women should do it? Thus showing a man's inability to do task and a woman taking it over, might as well have the male actor wink knowingly at the camera.
                          Well, you run into a problem either way. The ads I *think* you're referring to want to make a simple task look hard so that they can then present their product as an easier way of doing things. Despite the fact that, practically speaking, the character *has* to be either a man or a woman, depicting a woman as an idiot is currently considered demeaning to women. So, right now, it has to be the men who are idiots. It's not really better, and hopefully it won't be much longer before they do it either way. (It would be a shame, though, if it led to not being able to depict idiots at all.)
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                            A screening? Easy enough. I've been to the movies a few times when there were only five or ten people in the theater. All you have to do is look a couple weeks after the movie comes out, at an odd time of the week. Surely *some* audiences that side will be all of whatever demographic you want, just by chance
                            Damn you, chance! You've foiled my plans once again!

Comment

Mrs Silverharp watched that commercial, looked at me and went "Fuck that, I LOVE wathching shit get blown up!"
                              I love my wife

Comment

Working...
                              X