Why the spongebob hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the spongebob hate?

I can see how many adults would not like spongebob...it can be...grating on the nerves.

What I dont get is how so many parents seem to think there's actually something WRONG with spongebob. "I'm a good mom. I don't let my kids watch spongebob." My mom even described it as "Fresh", in a negative way.

I don't get it. I'm not saying it's an educational or a great show, certainly there are better shows, but is there actually anything WRONG with SB?

Well, there was something in the news a few months ago about that specific show being bad for kids, but I don't now remember what. Should be easy enough to find, though.

Not anything conclusive, and if I remember rightly, nothing that wouldn't also apply to any number of other shows. But that one was named.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Well, just putting the terms "spongebob" and "bad" into Google returned a wealth of information about why people think it's not good for kids.

I think the show sucks, and some overly-religious twat went public saying how it was bad 'cause she thought Spongebob was gay, and then there's the study that points out that if you give a 4 year old kid a test right after watching an episode, they do less well than if they'd been reading or drawing (like that's going to relate to anything, ever).

I'm sure, if you wanted to actually do any research, you could find a dozen more reasons why people think it's bad, but those are likely the highlights.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

What's wrong with Spongebob?

Simple...he's popular!

Critics just love to latch on to whatever's the flavor of the month at the moment and use it to further their agenda. It's been happening since the dawn of man, and will continue long after Spongebob has faded into obscurity.

Comment

Oh, a lady at work says her daughter refuses to let the kids watch Spongebob because it's "bad".

I'm 25 years old and I still love Spongebob. Of course, I haven't seen anything newer than in the last year or so of it, because it's mostly during summer afternoons I'd watch it the most.

I remember watching it after school as a teenager and loving it.

At one point, I had Spongebob jammies, blankets, pillowcases, lamp, etc etc etc and I was nearly 20.

I'd rather have kids watch Spongebob and what I grew up watching on Nick than the trash that's on there now.

Comment

I like to watch Spongebob when I'm zoning out. Yes, I consider it mindless TV viewing, and I'm fine with that. There are plenty of other mindless TV shows I will watch when I want to zone out. I don't object to my daughter watching Spongebob. She barely pays attention to it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              Well, just putting the terms "spongebob" and "bad" into Google returned a wealth of information about why people think it's not good for kids.

I think the show sucks, and some overly-religious twat went public saying how it was bad 'cause she thought Spongebob was gay, and then there's the study that points out that if you give a 4 year old kid a test right after watching an episode, they do less well than if they'd been reading or drawing (like that's going to relate to anything, ever).

I'm sure, if you wanted to actually do any research, you could find a dozen more reasons why people think it's bad, but those are likely the highlights.

^-.-^
              The reason behind the "gay man" thing was that Spongebob was singing in a song about diversity and tolerance. Yes, about fucking diversity and tolerance. Because the company that made said promotional video was known for being pro-homosexual, they got the idea that Spongebob was gay out of that. -.-

And the preschool-related one was attacked by the creators who stated that Spongebob isn't for that age group.

Comment

Working...
              X