No announcement yet.

Cost of Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don´t have a game system,. I game in the same PC I use for work so that saves money. I also only buy games with at least a one year delay, and buy them 75% off on steam.

I bought Fallout New Vegas+ Addons, The witcher and orks must day for less than just new vegas would have cost me. My next purchase will be enclave from Good old Games.

As far as free to play goes the one I like best is DC Universe online.

And I never buy a game I haven´t played before unless it is ridiculously cheap

I never buy games for Windows live, that require a connection to the internet(No more Ubisoft games for example)

I that my gaming money is very efficiently used this way.

I Don´t think ?I will ever again buy a Peter Molineux game again. I bought Fable 3 at launch because I played the first fable and think it is a masterpiece. Fable 3 is something I would be ashamed to have my name associated with.

Also: kongregate.com
    Last edited by SkullKing; 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Steam, Facebook, Kongregate, Pogo, GoG, Newgrounds, PSN, XBL, app stores...

There are literally millions of games out there, many of which are free or have a minimal cost and some of them are really worth the time to find and worth far more than the cost of entry.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't have a Wii yet, although I would like one, even if only to use it as a fitness tool rather than for just games.

I've rarely bought games brand new down here, the last brand new game I bought was Pokemon White. There's a secondhand games shop located not too far from me and they charge a reasonable price for most of their secondhand games. I own a DS, which I really want to upgrade simply because a DS Lite does not allow for WPA encryption, while a DSi or DSiXL does. That was also secondhand. Apart from a cracked hinge, the console itself works beautifully.

Usually I don't have to wait too long to see secondhand versions of new games appearing. Alternately my boyfriend and I have both pre-ordered games on occasion, even through Steam (he's pre-ordered Skyrim and Star Wars: The Old Republic, while I've pre-ordered Pokemon White)
        Last edited by fireheart17; 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I pre-ordered Twisted Metal.

Because Axel is a pre-order bonus. AXEL. The only guy MORE iconic of TM than Axel is Sweet Tooth.
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
            Usually I don't have to wait too long to see secondhand versions of new games appearing. Alternately my boyfriend and I have both pre-ordered games on occasion, even through Steam (he's pre-ordered Skyrim and Star Wars: The Old Republic, while I've pre-ordered Pokemon White)
            I didn't pre-order SWTOR specifically because of EA's dickery on Steam and trying to move shit over to the bloated sack of failure that is Origin. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
              I pre-ordered Twisted Metal.

Because Axel is a pre-order bonus. AXEL. The only guy MORE iconic of TM than Axel is Sweet Tooth.
              Really? I didn´t know that. He wasn´t even in the first one like Mr. Grim, or the specter. but i stopped playing after twisted metal 2.(my last console was the first playstation)

Do you know if the specter is in the game and plays well?(I thought it was really cool how on the first game he is a semi-transparent middle-aged guy, asks to be alive again after winning the tournament, and he is a solid 20-something in the second game)
              Last edited by SkullKing; 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Well, it was early access to Axel, not get it or not. I don't pre-order unless there's physical swag to be had.

We ended up pre-ordering Soul Calibur V through Gamestop because a friend works there, and their swag was a little big-head wobbly Ivy thing.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

GOG has one kickass sale going now:

http://www.gog.com/en/news/buy_one_g...r_a_whole_week

I was saving money to buy this one: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/enclave

Bu i guess it will need to wait for a while.

Comment

What really pisses me off about gaming lately is the price to playing time ratio.

There have been many times I bought a game brand new, at full price, and beat it within a day. The straw that broke the camel's back was Mafia II. I paid $60 for it expecting it to be like the GTA series and beat it within 10 hours. Gawd I was pissed.

It has gotten to the point now where I do not buy games brand new anymore without renting them first. The only exceptions are the Fable and Assassin's Creed series.

I'm a huge Sims 3 nut and I refuse to pay full price for the expansion packs. $40? Seriously??
                    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                      What really pisses me off about gaming lately is the price to playing time ratio.
                      Yeah, another reason I mainly play RPGs and strategy games. Much better value. Mainstream action games are just blockbuster movies now. You're carefully funnelled from one amazing set piece to the next for 6-8 hours then the games over.

I enjoyed Mafia II, but I bought it on a Steam sale and knew it wasn't going to be that involved from the reviews. Not worth $60. $20, sure.

Comment

Not sure if you bought that one at release, but by that day, there was at least one review noting that there was only about 10-13 hours of play time to Mafia II.

I, personally won't buy any game without having several reviews and an idea of things like playability and play time beforehand. There are exceptions, but not often.

^-.-^

Comment

I downloaded and played the demo and read a few reviews, but nothing I read ever said what the playtime was. It was all made out as if it was GTA meets Goodfellas/The Godfather. And then the DLC they put out was just extra cars and clothes, if i remember right. No actual extra gameplay. Just like Arkham City. it's new skins and challenge maps.
                          Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                            I, personally won't buy any game without having several reviews and an idea of things like playability and play time beforehand. There are exceptions, but not often.
                            Agreed. I only make rare exceptions and very rarely pre-order anything.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                              It has gotten to the point now where I do not buy games brand new anymore without renting them first. The only exceptions are the Fable and Assassin's Creed series.
                              Fallout and the Elder Scrolls series tends to be pretty good about it. i don´t buy Fable anymore to Fable 3. And Assasin´s creed due to ubisoft(even though I think the games are good).

Comment

Working...
                              X