No announcement yet.

I'm Not A "Real" Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been told by the masses of snobs that I'm not a real fan of certain movies because I didn't read the books.

I read enough books in junior high and high school to know that the movies are almost always better. If I want to read a book, I'm probably only going to read Hemingway. One day. When I get the energy to go to the library.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
      Kiss has some real stinkers of albums on which there's only one song I like. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything the band brings out.
      I like all eras of Pink Floyd but there are songs on the albums that I don't like as much as some others (Money, Another Brick in the Wall Part II, Dogs of War). I love the Clash and bought an album called "Cut the Crap" and hated it. There are some woofer Zappa albums that I wont listen to. But for the most part, I like most music.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        IThis is going to be really offensive, but I'm just gonna say it. Damn dorks, quit hating on people just because they've found a way to enjoy the same characters that you love. Just because I never read a comic book doesn't mean I can't be a "true" fan of The Punisher or Thor or Captain America, and since I didn't read the comic books and didn't already "know" how The Walking Dead would play out, I'm just a sheep who only watches things because everyone else does or because of the people who play the roles.
        As one of those dorks, I will agree with you 100%.
        That type of false elitism is one of the reasons I never really hung out with other comic books fans even when I was blowing a couple hundred a month on my hold back in the 90's.
        These asshats only end up proving many of the stereotypes about comic book fans to the point where I want to punch them in the head and scream "For fucks sake SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE YOU COMIC BOOK GUY TALKING EMOTIONALLY RETARDED COCK JUGGLING THUNDERCUNT!"

To make a long story short?
        As a long time comic book geek, no offense taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
          One peeve I have about the movies is the way that they tend to like killing off the villains after only one movie. Kind of takes away the hope that they might appear again later, which is what happens when you read the comics. And yeah, I already mentioned the whole "ressurrection" thing that the comics have going.
          I believe this sums it up perfectly

Comment

I love love Batman. Not because its a trend, but he is awesome, no matter plays him. I grew up watching the cartoons in the 90's. I don't have the mental capacity to read a comic, except one. The Sandman series. Be awesome if they made a show/movie with it. I don't watch movies because of certain actors being in it. I watch it cause of it catching my eye. Like Sin City. Big names, don't care. Though Jessica Alba is hot in that movie.

Comment

No worries, I meant no offense towards geeks in general, just the elitist ones.

It's just as bad as the jocks and cheerleaders who won't let you sit at their lunch table because you aren't wearing a Colombia fleece.

Comment

No worries, I meant no offense towards geeks in general, just the elitist ones.

It's just as bad as the jocks and cheerleaders who won't let you sit at their lunch table because you aren't wearing a Colombia fleece.
                Guess I was basically the one in HS who didn't sit with anyone at the lunch table - I was always by myself in my own world. But then it would've been too damn difficult carrying on a conversation with someone in front of me when I had two girls running around in my head getting into trouble back then!

Funny how some adults don't get out of that HS mentality . . .
                If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Oh noes! someone doesn't think I'm a "real fan" of something! Whatever shall I do!?

Oh yeah, same as I always do. realize that their opinion means precisely dick to me, laugh about it, and move on.

Comment

Ooooh NOEEES! Wrath of the Titans doesn't follow the "old myths and legends" of Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. Ohhhh NOES this is just another stupid way for Hollywood to get us idiot sheep riled up and into something that is incorrect.

Judas Priest, get over yourselves. Seriously.

Comment

Ooooh NOEEES! Wrath of the Titans doesn't follow the "old myths and legends" of Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. Ohhhh NOES this is just another stupid way for Hollywood to get us idiot sheep riled up and into something that is incorrect.

Judas Priest, get over yourselves. Seriously.
                      I actually like that they have a different story than a damned myth. Myths can be re-written. Its not set in stone. This is coming from a huge fan of Greek/Roman myths.

Waiting for it to go on DVD, but I do wanna see it.

Comment

Um, myths kind of are set in stone. Rather literally in quite a large number of cases.

It's no better, or worse really, than making a movie with a name of a popular property that has little or nothing to do with the original than the name and perhaps influence.

And if you're not going to use the source material at all, then you should give your movie another name.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't think it really matters all that much.

It was the movies that got me interested in researching some of the "real" myths and learning about them.

Along my same original point that perhaps it's a good thing that these overpaid fluffy Hollywood actors get these roles of superheros of comic books or video games or novels, it gets people interested in things that may not have been touched on well in the movie(s).

Comment

I don't see why they have to change the story, when there are loads of variations of the same myths about.
                            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

There are likely millions of different myths about, with most of the world never having heard the vast majority. There's no reason to take a myth that is not only fairly well known to begin with, but has also been represented in film within (some of) our lifetimes and then change it into something barely recognizable.

Well, except laziness and whoring off of the popularity of a product that you're are only vaguely like, that is.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't know what they've done in this particular movie... but if it's a matter of "let's take these characters people already know and tell new stories with them" then I don't see how it would be a problem. Or, for that matter, any different than other sequels not involving mythological characters. Or, come to think of it, enough different to complain of than stories like... oh, I can't remember what it's called, but I saw a movie maybe last year or the year before where the main characters were the children of some of the Greek gods, and it wasn't half bad even if they did rather glaringly manage to forget that 3 + 1 = 4.

(It's really aggravating to remember almost an entire movie, but not a single name or anything else that would make a good search term.)
                                Last edited by HYHYBT; 04-05-2012, 01:02 AM.
                                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                                X