X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This just in Ubisoft grows a clue

http://www.gamefront.com/ubisoft-mul...lue-to-gamers/

now if only everybody else could.

Actually if you read between the lines, no they're not. Judging by what they're saying, they now want to stream their games instead of supplying a downloadable copy.

So now, instead of requiring a constant connection to access the game you legally purchased, you will need a constant connection to even make it exist.

Comment

I didn't read that they were going to move their games into the cloud, actually.

It looks like they might be taking a page from Stardock. Stardock is dedicated to no DRM by making available downloadable content and updates that require registration to be acquired. It makes it more convenient to the gamer to buy a copy of the game and get the downloads without hassle and makes it less convenient for a pirate who would have to wait for a cracked version of said content to appear. In other words, unlike most forms of DRM, it becomes the pirate who is inconvenienced rather than the legitimate purchaser.

However, since he didn't really say anything about what they were planning, only that they were going to move away from the always-on set-up (likely in reaction to the complete fiasco of their recent server migration), it's difficult to say what their plans are, merely that Early is apparently realizing that their current solution is crap and it's causing them to lose more revenue and gamer support than other solutions.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

THIS!!!! A MILLION TIMES, THIS!!!!

I have pirated music in the past because I can't see the value in paying $20 for a CD. After the Mafia II fiasco, I had pirated a few games before deciding if I'd buy them or not because I was tired of paying $60+ for a game that wasn't worth $20. Now I get them from RedBox or GameFly

Price your product for what it's worth, not what the market says is the "standard rate," and produce quality product. Doing both will show a drastic drop off in piracy.
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
          Price your product for what it's worth, not what the market says is the "standard rate," and produce quality product. Doing both will show a drastic drop off in piracy.
          Pretty much, one of the key aspects of Steam's success is game's are priced more fairly and actually depreciate with age. Because its working as a platform for publishers and indie groups that are outside the mainstream corporate cockwhore companies that stamp $60 on everything as it leaves the door. Regardless of what kind of game it is, how long it is or how good it is. -.-

Think it irks me most when they pull that shit on digital distribution. Sorry, you don't get to charge me the same price for the digital copy that cost you nothing to manufacture as you do for the physical copy with has manufacturing costs and overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            Pretty much, one of the key aspects of Steam's success is game's are priced more fairly and actually depreciate with age. Because its working as a platform for publishers and indie groups that are outside the mainstream corporate cockwhore companies that stamp $60 on everything as it leaves the door. Regardless of what kind of game it is, how long it is or how good it is. -.-
            I don't do Steam downloadable games as it puts a huge strain on my laptop as it is, but I see where you're going with it.

That's why I wait for a game that I really want to crop up in the stores secondhand. The value does depreciate over time and games that aren't likely to sell well are more likely to be stamped with the $5 label and hawked as BOGOF deals.
            I'll provide an example for a game that I eventually received from my boyfriend. Oblivion.

The cost in JB Hi-Fi (well known electronics/DVD/games shop): around $50-$60.
            The cost in Gametraders (well-known video game/anime store...DOWN HERE anyway) secondhand: around $20-$40 depending on how new the game is.

I should add as well that the version I'm referring to is the "Game Of The Year" edition, which has the main mission plus the two side missions.

Comment

The GameStop chain here in the States typically lists a used game for $5 less than the the new version. I usually don't buy used games as I'd pay the extra $5 as developers are starting to make the bonus codes as 1 time activations. Game comes with DLC for original buyer, but won't work for those who buy it used.
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Twice now I've gone into a store's going out of business sale to see how much the current mortal kombat and twice it's been more expensive than on amazon.

Blockbuster USED 65 dollars, it's 50 new on amazon
                Zellers NEW 70 dollars

prices need to drop if you want to be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                  The cost in JB Hi-Fi (well known electronics/DVD/games shop): around $50-$60.
                  The cost in Gametraders (well-known video game/anime store...DOWN HERE anyway) secondhand: around $20-$40 depending on how new the game is.

I should add as well that the version I'm referring to is the "Game Of The Year" edition, which has the main mission plus the two side missions.
                  Stuff tends to depreciate in real time with Steam. Plus, anything you want will at some point go on sale with Steam. Steam has insane and quite regular sales. I've seen Oblivion: GOTY drop to $5 before as I recall. Steam has probably saved me more money than anything else I've ever done to or with my computer.

Hell, I *still* have an unplayed backlog of games I'm working through because they went on sale dirt cheap and I couldn't pass up the price. >.>

Comment

It's interesting to see how history repeats itself. Back in the 80's, software companies started using all sorts of crazy copy protection schemes because they were worried about piracy, and the protection ended up causing more problems than it solved. Eventually they realized that if they kept pissing off paying customers, they would have no customers, and they stopped doing it.

Fast-forward 25-30 years later, and it's happening all over again. Paying customers are being restricted or outright prevented from using the products they've paid for, while the pirates are unaffected. It's nice to see that these companies are finally getting a clue.
                    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Put simply, Ubisoft has a massive track record of stupid ideas in the name of fighting piracy. They encouraged Starforce in North America which is bar none the worst copy protection system in the world, they ship products out without CD keys then affix said keys to the shrink wrap at the store level (I have personally witnessed that one), they instituted both a requires connection upon start up with a limited install system that cannot be recovered in the event of an upgrade, then there's the "always on" fiasco where you need a constant connection just to play a legally purchased game that is there recent act of stupidity and said that it was "wildly successful".

At this point, unless the company has had a complete corporate restructuring replacing the current executives with people with common sense, I'm more inclined to believe they will be more restrictive than less.

Comment

I haven't touched a Ubisoft game since Asscreed, which I uninstalled an hour later after learning how their bullshit new DRM worked. They have games I would very much like to play and enjoy, but I refuse to give them a cent till they give up on their always connected DRM bullshit.

Comment

Yeah, that's the issue with Ubi, isn't it? They have a good library available, but they're business policies are so atrocious that you want to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                            Yeah, that's the issue with Ubi, isn't it? They have a good library available, but they're business policies are so atrocious that you want to avoid them.
                            Pretty much. Been eyeing Anno, but refuse to touch it until they fix their DRM practices. Never played through the Asscreed series either. Made the mistake of buying From Dust because they said it *wouldn't* have DRM, but then they slapped it on anyway.

Comment

Wait... so. They are actually starting to realize that if they produce a good game at a fair price people might actually buy it?

OH THE INSANITY!

Now, if everyone else would realize this small startling discovery. Take dominoes pizza... not the best pizza. But its cheap when compared to the other pizza places (around here anyway) so it does great business. Good for me as I deliver them.

Comment

Working...
                              X