No announcement yet.

Online anger erupts over "racelifting"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from cowl to full on luchiador mask is workable, more so if the reader is introduced to it via the current batman and not just a totally different person adopting it.
    Best if he wears it for a while goes back to cowl and back again, or different full facemasks, as if hes 'trying out a new look', but always gives someone a glimps of his usual chin from time to time.

Or just treat it like Austrailian Soaps, they dissapear for a week or two and come back a whole new actor and no one bats an eyelid

Spiderman has it easy, (cept for when it comes to going to the bath room as Kenny Everet showed) full face mask, but he cannot be retired and have someone else take his place, not unless they recreate the spider venom syrum (which afaik they had tried in the main universe and was part of the Doc Oc arc in Ultimate)

Re Stig, I don't think I've seen any of the (more than?) two unmasked and if they were, they were not wearing the Stig outfit and being addressed as the former Stig.
    The only unmasking I saw was the Schuemacer (sp) interview, but that was just a publisity stunt, would have been epic if he was the current white suited Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
      So back to my original point, a black batman written as the son of an old money family ie Bruce Wayne, not so plausable atleast not right this moment.
      If we're assuming the same original timeline (Batman being adult in the 1940's), you're right that it's not plausible. If you're assuming a modern timeline (and assuming an alternate reality where we didn't have 70 years' worth of Batman stories), it's not at all implausible for a Batman in his early 30's to be black. His parents would have been killed in the 80's, making his parents be born in the 60's and his grandparents in the 40's or so. It's not at all impossible for a black dynastic aristocracy to rise from that generation. If you're assuming that Batman is in his 20's, that makes his grandparents' era the 50s or 60s - a black man in that time frame would have found business difficult, but not impossible, especially as a doctor. Observe the richest black man in the US: Kenneth Chenault. Or even Barack Obama. The gates of academia were not closed to black folks by that point.

Batman MKII would be called 'the black batman' by fans, criminals and anyone aware there used to be a white guy doing the rounds, yes a rebooted batman origin would also be called the black batman, but only by the reader base not the characters as there would never be a white one to begin with, just as Peter Parker would never be spiderman if Mary Jane had got bitten.
      Well, when you're working with this reality, of course the fanbase wouldn't accept a reboot that made Batman black, any more than they'd accept a Korean Superman. You've got far too much history and tradition going against you.

Comment

Keeping it as a more Christian Bale age film scenereo for most of this post.

Given that there are rich black people in the States and that the finances of the Wayne family are purely fictional, can any of them actually fund a gadget filled batman?
        Even though the Bale batman is more grounded than the comics or Burton/others movies, he still needs his own independant finances other than Wayne Industries shares, or to atleast keep enough money around to be percieved to be a playboy.

Granted they could go the Punisher route of financing himself via drug money, but I am not sure if that goes against what we expect of Batman whatever he looks like.

Using Mr Chenault as an example, although he earnt $50 million in 2009, if he was batmans dad and died in the time line of the Bale universe, he might not have earnt that kind of money around that time.

TL;DR
        Nothing against a black batman, rebooted as a new character in current time or taking over from the old guard etc.
        If families were around in the 80's that could be the basis for the funding of a 'traditional' gadget batman, then in a modern setting a classic but black batman is plausable.
        I just want it to feel plausable that such a back story is migratable from a white Wayne family to a black one.

Comment

In this day, I'm still not sure a black Batman would work.

Part of the power of the Wayne name is that they're old money. They have a lot of power and influence among the wealthy elite due to their history, and a black family, no matter how wealthy they became, would still be seen as newcomers to the society. Plus, despite Wayne Manor originally being shown as being purchased by Bruce, that was quickly retconned into having been within the family for generations (which, honestly, makes more sense).

That said, it could still be made to work. It wouldn't quite be the same story, but it would be close enough to be easily recognizable.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Batman MKII would be called 'the black batman' by fans, criminals and anyone aware there used to be a white guy doing the rounds, yes a rebooted batman origin would also be called the black batman, but only by the reader base not the characters as there would never be a white one to begin with, just as Peter Parker would never be spiderman if Mary Jane had got bitten.
            Which is not a good reason not to.

[quoteIf we're assuming the same original timeline (Batman being adult in the 1940's), you're right that it's not plausible. If you're assuming a modern timeline (and assuming an alternate reality where we didn't have 70 years' worth of Batman stories), it's not at all implausible for a Batman in his early 30's to be black. His parents would have been killed in the 80's, making his parents be born in the 60's and his grandparents in the 40's or so. It's not at all impossible for a black dynastic aristocracy to rise from that generation. If you're assuming that Batman is in his 20's, that makes his grandparents' era the 50s or 60s - a black man in that time frame would have found business difficult, but not impossible, especially as a doctor. Observe the richest black man in the US: Kenneth Chenault. Or even Barack Obama. The gates of academia were not closed to black folks by that point.
            [/quote]

Eh, they could be rich, but 'money' is not the same as 'old money.'

Having known some, to the 'old money' types, if you're only three generations rich, you might as well have just won the lottery yesterday
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

If they were such die hard fans, they would know there *is* a black version of Nick Fury in the comics and that version was based on Samuel L. Jackson with his permission. Years before any of these movies came out. >.>
              I haven't read any of the debate. I'm not going to get into that part at all.

I just found this statement... pretty fucking cool. They based a version of NF off of SLJ and then cast SLJ to play NF?

That's like the level of awesomeness that "Interview with a vampire" would have had if they'd been able to cast Rutger Hauer as Lestat.

Comment

I'm massively behind the Ultimate line, more specifically Spiderman, FF I didn't get many trades outside of the origin got some of the Ultimates and read most of the Xmen.
                I had not seen a trade since the death of Spiderman, which turns out was a false alarm, but I did pick up and flip through a trade of Spiderman with a black Spiderman, at the time I didn't know what the score was.

Turns out it was normal universe Spiderman visiting Ultimate universe and meeting the new Similarly powered Miles something (Moran? and I had only just closed the wiki).
                Yesterday I got the first three trades where Miles is actually heroing whilst Parker is still alive and ends up with a Halloween costume towards the end of the first book.
                I skimmed parts of the 2nd and 3rd one being an event comic (3rd I think) but he got his powers the same way possibly from the same spider or one re engineered using the Ox Corp super soldier serum and extra McGuffin seeing as he has chameleon cloaking.

My post a few ones up is based on my lack of knowledge in the Ultimate universe as my local shop never had stock of the trade after the one with spidies mask in the puddle.
                But the main point stood, what if that spider bit Flash, MJ or Gwen putting her in the story from the start instead of whenever it was.
                The spider bite would empower them, but their social backgrounds might be drastic, flash might use it to cheat at sports, what parental dilemma would befall any to 'Uncle Ben' them into being a hero?

This being a 2nd Spiderman finding they have the same/similar powers (afaik he has all of Parkers and more not a trade off) he felt that the world needed Spiderman to continue, he took up the mantle, this works, this is filling a void, he could have become another superhero altogether, but then they wouldn't be writing Ultimate Spiderman now would they.

In the Ultimate universe, Parker didn't even need to have all the same things happen to him, he could have had another life altering event, but hey it aint broke, we on the whole are used to Uncle Ben dying, in different ways over each retelling, but it's always the catalyst in comic, movie and TV, so why change it for the Ultimate one?

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                  I haven't read any of the debate. I'm not going to get into that part at all.

I just found this statement... pretty fucking cool. They based a version of NF off of SLJ and then cast SLJ to play NF?

That's like the level of awesomeness that "Interview with a vampire" would have had if they'd been able to cast Rutger Hauer as Lestat.
                  SLJ was actually cast to play NF before the recent movies. He voice acted in Ultimate Avengers as NF. Best moment ever? When asked in the cartoon who would play him in a movie, NF answers "The right honorable SLJ"
                  I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                    not shaved a tortoise shell cat to see if it's skin might be mixed like a cow's or if it would be pink under all of that
                    Sphynx cats have coloring on their bare skin that corresponds with fur markings on a normal cat. Look for pics of a calico or tortie sphynx sometime, incredibly obvious. Same with hairless rats.
                    Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                    Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Working...
                    X