Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online anger erupts over "racelifting"

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-7626976.html

It's not a new thing; the Kingpin in "Daredevil" was portrayed as being black, when the comic character is in fact white. But apparently, there's quite the shitstorm over the Avengers casting. O_o
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-7626976.html

It's not a new thing; the Kingpin in "Daredevil" was portrayed as being black, when the comic character is in fact white. But apparently, there's quite the shitstorm over the Avengers casting. O_o
    If they were such die hard fans, they would know there *is* a black version of Nick Fury in the comics and that version was based on Samuel L. Jackson with his permission. Years before any of these movies came out. >.>

Though this isn't as functionally retarded as people complaining about the Hunter Games and how they didn't think "dark skinned" in the book should be someone with actual dark skin in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      If they were such die hard fans, they would know there *is* a black version of Nick Fury in the comics and that version was based on Samuel L. Jackson with his permission. Years before any of these movies came out. >.>

Though this isn't as functionally retarded as people complaining about the Hunter Games and how they didn't think "dark skinned" in the book should be someone with actual dark skin in the movie.
      I think you mean Hunger, not Hunter.

And yes, I do agree. People seem to be getting so up in arms over "race" casting. What did they expect from someone who was "Dark skinned" in the book? A hispanic girl?

I can think of another example: Memoirs of a Geisha. While the movie had some DAMN good visuals, there was a huge shitstorm over the casting. The three main adult "geishas" Sayuri, Hatsumomo and Mameha were all cast by non-Japanese actresses. -.-

As for the Avengers, the film looks epic. I can't wait to see it (comes out next week down here)

Comment

Wait wait wait, they're bitching about this now?

Where the hell was this whining when he was introduced 4 years ago at the end of Iron Man?

By this point, Jackson as Fury is established as expected. There's no sense in bitching about it at this point.

Comment

What I like in Nick fury's story is that he faought both physically as a man of action, tatically, comanding troops, and politically having to deal with politicians.

He is a White WWII Vet. which meant that if he wanted, he could be well accepted by many of his enemies.

While, all other things being equal, I would prefer a white kingpin, the choice of a black character for him is more than, "just because". He was a "common thug from the Bronx" that used to mean some ethnicities. Nowadays it mean other(e.g. Blacks)

Comment

But yes, there is a black fury, and they should have complained a lot earlier.

Comment

The stupid, I can't take it any longer.

I don't read comics, so I don't know much back story with a lot of the characters.

And:
              "Movie producers are often reluctant to cast more than a few minority actors in race-neutral movies for fear the white audience will largely avoid such films."
              I don't wanna live on this planet anymore. How the hell is that race-neutral? And who cares what race sees what movie?

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                And yes, I do agree. People seem to be getting so up in arms over "race" casting. What did they expect from someone who was "Dark skinned" in the book? A hispanic girl?
                They expected someone tan.

I just don't get why all of a sudden now they are making a big deal out of it. He was black in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and in Captain America yet no one complained then. Why now do they complain?
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

About Hunger Games, one of my friends said, "What, do authors have to say, "These be negroes" for people to realize a character might be black?"

Comment

First off.. the Kingpin in Daredevil was possibly the best actor in that shitstorm of a movie.. really.. Ben Affleck as a superhero. blech

Secondly.. Sam Jackson makes a kick ass Fury. Black, white, purple, as long as the actor plays the part well I dont care.

Comment

Maybe alot of the people left the cinema before the sting of Nick in Iron man, not seen 2 so maybe they didn't know he was fury? ditto for Capt.

White Fury is/was the original universe, last I read of him he was killed by the Punisher at the end of the books run before getting a reboot one of many. I accepted the Ultimate's one, at one point nothing like Jackson iir Ultimate Xmen, but a different artist than most of the run, as it was a whole new universe, hell I could have gotten behind the idea of MJ being spiderwoman and Peter being the crush as it was a whole different cannon based loosely on the established idea's but accessable without a fuck tonne of retconned back stories.

With DD even though the kingpin was the top of the food chain, I did think at the time "the only (that I can recall) black face in the movie and hes a bad guy, way to go typecasting." I'm not saying he couldn't attain those heights due to his skin tone, but come on movie.

Unless someone outright says a character's skin tone is anything other than white, I automatically picture a white person, I fill in the blanks with what little I am given, if I weren't white and the novel gave little information, I would probably think of him like me. Hell I'd like to think that if we ended up in a planet of the apes scenareo and our litrature still exists, that a gorilla would read about Harry Potter and think of him like himself.

Rincewind from the Discworld novels, I imagined as a mid twenty something as he was in university, not a gandalf sterotype as he has been depicted, soley due to him being a student, if it said he was old, I just never picked up on it.

Comment

I remember people losing their minds because in the movie Thor, Heimdall is black. Who cares? As long as Idris Elba can play him well (and I am convinced Idris Elba could play almost anyone well), who cares what color he is? I mean, in Marvel world the Norse gods are freaking aliens, so they don't all have to be Scandanavian looking.

With the guy in Daredevil, I thought he was a good Kingpin and physically fit the role, so who the hell cares?

And Nick Fury is sometimes black, even in the Superhero Squad show Khan watches, he is black.

I really don't give a crap most of the time, unless, say, a story is set in Vietnam and the characters are Vietnamese and all the actors are white. That would be silly.

Comment

Idris Elba spoke out about this when he was cast to play Heimdall. I knew he'd do a great job with it, but, hey, folks were reaaaaal upset that he was being cast as a Norse God.

He put it this way:

“We have a man [Thor] who has a flying hammer and wears horns on his head. And yet me being an actor of African descent playing a Norse god is unbelievable? I mean, Cleopatra was played by Elizabeth Taylor, and Gandhi was played by Ben Kingsley.”
                          Good quote, and one I agree with... except for the fact that Kingsley was partially Indian, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
                            I really don't give a crap most of the time, unless, say, a story is set in Vietnam and the characters are Vietnamese and all the actors are white. That would be silly.
                            such as a VERY WHITE actor* playing Tonto in the new lone ranger movie coming out?

*claims to be cherokee and navajo(zero proof of this claim)-the two largest tribes in the US, that had zero contact with each other( Cherokee lived in the Southeastern US, while the Navajo lived in the Southwest-with numerous tribes separating them)
                            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I am against this, but I don't know if it because I am angry a white man is playing Tonto, or because I am just completely over Johnny Depp at this point.

I was thinking and I wonder if I am a hypocrite, actually. See, let's pretend they would ever make a Luke Cage movie. I don't know much about him, so I don't know if his race is that important to his story. But if they cast a white guy as Luke Cage, I would be pretty taken aback. Is this because I have only ever seen him portrayed as one race, which is not the case with Nick Fury, or is this because I want more black actors in Hollywood to get a break? It may be a combination of both.
                              Last edited by anakhouri; 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X