Authors' Burn-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
    There's a website I'd be happy to guide you to which has chapter summaries. If you've already read them once, that might be the best way to go about it =)
    I think that might be super amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
      But none of it's very important. Or could have been summarized. Or, you know, explained without introducing another POV cast member.

That's what really bugged me. You already have five main characters that you have POV plotlines for, does each book really have to introduce at least one more to the mix? I'm sure one of the five can find out about or be told about the other issues.
      Of course it could have. But I enjoyed getting to know everybody, including the villains, from the inside, and most of the subplots that could have been cut were interesting in their own right.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Here's my thoughts on some of the series that have been mentioned.

Dresden Files: While I do agree that Ghost Story was kind of weaker than the novels on either side (Changes and Cold Days), it was also an important step in Harry's development as a character. It shows him, very frankly and without the goggles he'd had blinding him, as to what was going on in the world, and how important his simple presence in Chicago was to protect the citizens there. Cold Days brings things back into focus again, and Harry has even more reason to do what he does best, as he's seen the darkness that comes when he fails.

On Pern. Hoo boy, where to start with Pern. First off, I'm going to buck the trend that seems to be going here, and say that I love all of the Pern books, even the ones Todd is writing. Let's not forget, Anne worked with him on them, and while, yes, they are a little rough going at first (Dragon's Kin and Dragon's Fire), the plot threads do eventually come together and mesh into a cohesive picture. In his first few books, we're seeing an era of Pern that's never been shown before, so it seems odd to us because we don't know these characters the way we know F'lar, Lessa, Mennoly, Sebell, Robinton, et al. And we don't start out with dragonriders as the main characters, but a young boy from a mine. By the time events roll around to Dragon Harper and Dragonsblood, the true threat that's facing Pern becomes apparent. Not only is Thread falling, but the dragons themselves are falling ill, and they have no way to help them, and those who did are over 450 years dead, with no idea of the weakness that their creations would face...

And yes, Lessa was "childish." But remember what her life had been: She'd been but a child when her family was butchered by Fax, and she spent 10 long years hiding her identity and living as a drudge, doing the most menial of tasks while preparing and hoping for some way to take down Fax. She had to grow a lot of rough edges to keep herself sane, and that's not something that can be shed easily.

Comment

oh god I just read ring of charon and started the sequel. I looked up if the third one was out, it's not. The second book was written 1994 and the author has written like 12 books since. What the fuck?

Comment

Working...
          X