Humanizing drug culture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humanizing drug culture?

Today I started watching breaking bad, have previously seen weeds. I notice a theme of humanizing drug dealers, they show the "gritty" side of drug dealing from "normalish" people.

Am I reading to far into thinking there is a secret agenda behind these shows to warm peoples hearts when it comes to drug making and dealing?

...You should finish watching Breaking Bad....

Edit: Okay, sarcastic comment aside, part of the thing is that, well, drug dealers ARE human. Sometimes they're pretty shitty people. Sometimes they're just trying to get by. Sometimes they're HORRIFICALLY bad people.

But they ARE people. And to me, that's much more interesting than seeing them as mindless drug-drones like in PSA comics. I don't think it's a conspiracy. It's not like The Wire made people into gang bangers, or Dexter makes people think "You know, being a serial killer isn't that bad."
    Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 07-22-2012, 06:00 AM.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

One thing I heard on the subject is that Steve Earle's song "Copperhead Road" was based on an actual incident.

Middle-aged woman was a moonshiner's daughter and a moonshiner's widow (i.e. someone who had been raised in a culture where the production and distribution of controlled substances was considered a valid career). She had dropped out of school to get married, and had no marketable skills (supported by the menfolk in her family).

When her son came home after a tour of duty in Vietnam, he told her about a plant that exhibited weedlike growth patterns, and that people would pay good money for. Midway through his second tour of duty, he came home in a body bag.

Being without any means of support, she took what seemed (to her) to be the logical option - growing this plant that her son had told her about.

As for people who say that "Weeds" and "Breaking Bad" are pro-drug propaganda, how many of them were fans of the Dukes of Hazzard? After all, Uncle Jesse was a (retired) moonshiner - how is there a moral distinction between manufacturing controlled substance "A" and manufacturing controlled substance "B"?

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
        Today I started watching breaking bad, have previously seen weeds. I notice a theme of humanizing drug dealers, they show the "gritty" side of drug dealing from "normalish" people.
        If recreational drugs weren't outlawed, a large percentage (probably a majority) of users wouldn't be criminals.

Most users are normalish people, and they're all human, so I don't understand what "humanizing" them even means. It's not like they're demons or monsters, after all.

^-.-^
        Last edited by Andara Bledin; 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM. Reason: typo
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          If recreational drugs weren't outlawed, a large percentage (probably a majority) of users wouldn't be criminals.

Most users are normalish people, and they're all human, so I don't understand what "humanizing" them even means. It's not like they're demons or monsters, after all.

^-.-^
          *Dealers*, not users. iNH's point was about dealers.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664

*Dealers*, not users. iNH's point was about dealers.
            Dealers are still human as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
              Dealers are still human as well.
              this is true, my brother in law is going away for a while(a long while, mandatory minimum sentencing laws) for dealing, he has a wife and two adorable kids....he also has no marketable skills to support his wife and two adorable kids....so he went for the easy money. And yes he is a good father, not a good husband, but he adores his kids.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Dealers are people too. It's also worth noting that dealer is not a synonym for pusher.

Pushers, by their very nature, are scum and deserve to be ostracized. I'm not sure I ever knew any pushers growing up; I don't think it would have been tolerated by the people I was usually around as a kid.

I knew a handful of dealers, a whole hell of a lot of users, some addicts (including alcoholics), and a bunch of non-users.

I haven't been around any users for a long time, and I haven't noticed a whole hell of a lot of difference between the different groups. Everybody has their vices, and even the perfectly legal ones can be destructive.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  As for people who say that "Weeds" and "Breaking Bad" are pro-drug propaganda, how many of them were fans of the Dukes of Hazzard? After all, Uncle Jesse was a (retired) moonshiner - how is there a moral distinction between manufacturing controlled substance "A" and manufacturing controlled substance "B"?
                  The Dukes of Hazzard wasn't built around the "Duke Boys" running moonshine. Getting into trouble, sure, but they're weren't producing and selling moonshine. Whether or not Uncle Jesse was retired is a moot point because the show wasn't about the production and dealing of moonshine.
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

No, but they were criminals. The Duke boys are on probation for running moonshine, and the only reason Uncle Jesse "retired" was to keep the boys from doing hard time for getting caught running his hooch.

^-.-^

Comment

No, but they were criminals. The Duke boys are on probation for running moonshine, and the only reason Uncle Jesse "retired" was to keep the boys from doing hard time for getting caught running his hooch.

^-.-^
                      That may be so, but the fact remains that the show was not built around the manufacture and distribution of it.

Breaking Bad and Weeds try to justify drug dealing to better the lives of the protagonists' families.

Oh, they're ONLY doing it because their lives went to shit and they NEED to do it to support their families.

We condemn the real world dealers and pushers, but praise these fictional ones.
                      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I'm getting old. I can only remember a car flying through the air and Daisy Duke.

Oh, and a dog.

Rapscallion
                        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Running moonshine was/is usually seen as a way to dodge the pesky guv'mint (always wanting their taxes) and as a way to support a family for those who don't have the means otherwise. I knew many elderly men (and women) who made and ran moonshine, and it was generally seen as, "You do what you need to in order to feed your family." Crops fail? Can't get a job at the factory or the mines? Well, hell, we got some corn mash, let's sell some 'shine so the kids can have Christmas.

Hell, one of the most popular and profitable sports (or 'sports entertainment' for those who like to get their panties in a wad) in the US is based on running moonshine. One of the most popular sodas in this country is named after it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                            Running moonshine was/is usually seen as a way to dodge the pesky guv'mint (always wanting their taxes) and as a way to support a family for those who don't have the means otherwise. I knew many elderly men (and women) who made and ran moonshine, and it was generally seen as, "You do what you need to in order to feed your family." Crops fail? Can't get a job at the factory or the mines? Well, hell, we got some corn mash, let's sell some 'shine so the kids can have Christmas.
                            Which is the point being made, somewhat, by Breaking Bad. Same circumstances, different illegal substance.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                              Hell, one of the most popular and profitable sports (or 'sports entertainment' for those who like to get their panties in a wad) in the US is based on running moonshine.
                              Huh? Is it car racing like NASCAR? That's the only sport I can think of that would have any possible relation to running moonshine. And even that's drawing a pretty big bow.

One of the most popular sodas in this country is named after it.
                              Er, ummmmm, nope. I got nothing. Drawing a blank. What is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X