Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitive TV Shows and Filler

I just wanted to give a small rant...

WHY the hell is it, whenever there is a competition on TV, the producers feel the need to pad it out with the complete biography of the contestant, told in real time from when their GRANDPARENTS were born; before showing the actual competition?

Sometimes I can almost understand it when the actual competition is too short to fill out the entire time. But when you have enough contestants you're cutting/summarizing their runs, there shouldn't be any reason at all to be showing that sort of filler.

NBC is especially bad for it; the American Gladiators reboot a few years back failed IMO because they put in 15 minutes of sobstory for each competitor and 5 minutes of actual running the challenge. And of course, when NBC ran American Ninja Warrior a few weeks ago, it was the same thing. A 10 minute story of some guy's attempts to get to the obstacle course, only to see him fail the first challenge... Followed by a commercial break and a lameass "While you were on the break, 15 other people ran the course, 5 of them making it throuhg in amazing times, but we won't show you that. Instead, here's Joe Blow's heartbreaking story of how he got a hangnail training for the Salmon Ladder. I watched the final ep the night it aired; starting the recording when the show was about 70 minutes in... and after FFing through background and commercials, I caught up to Live with 15 minutes to spare. (long enough to watch a case on Judge Judy, and return to FF to the final run and see how well he did)

And while I'm not watching Olympic Coverage at all; I've heard NBC's coverage is similar to the above, which is disenheartening to say the least.

What's worst, is other shows are starting to do that format now. The Food Challenge Channel (Formerly known as the Food Network), has competitions every other hour it seems... and each one is 30 minutes of background on each competitor, 5 minutes of them banging on chopping boards, shaking pots and pans, and running to a pantry, 3 minutes of tasting, and 5 minutes of dead air *yawn*'suspense' before a winner is announced.

The saddest part of it is, is that most of these shows have more than enough 'action' to fill up twice the time they have without any filler. Either from more people running the course, or just showing more of the action of the ones you actually focused on. Plus cutting back on that sort of filler would cut down on the embarrassements like what AGT had this year with the Stuttering Texan Vet Singer.

*sigh* As I said on another board (and maybe another thread here) If Game shows were run like those competitions, Jeopardy would only need 3 answers an episode. The rest of the time would be filled telling us how Jimmy Bob studied his whole life to be on Jeopardy, but the chances were nearly scuttled when his mother was crushed under a fallen pile of encyclopedias; but he perserveered and now mom's in the wheelchair in the audience cheering him on.

Originally posted by Jetfire View Post
    The rest of the time would be filled telling us how Jimmy Bob studied his whole life to be on Jeopardy, but the chances were nearly scuttled when his mother was crushed under a fallen pile of encyclopedias; but he perserveered and now mom's in the wheelchair in the audience cheering him on.
    The Q&A segment in Jeopardy is even more dull than that. While Jeopardy isn't as bad as what you say, it's one of the first things that came to mind as I was reading it up to that point. I know it's only 2 minutes of the show, but it drives me insane mainly because the stories shared on that show are about the most dull and mundane I've ever seen... the interview questions are seriously this bad, and I'm not embellishing:

Alex: "So, it says here you have a very interesting hobby. Tell the audience about it."

Contestant: "I collect those attraction brochures you see in rest stops every time I drive cross country. In fact, on my way to these studios from my hometown in Syracuse I collected 23 brochures, 17 of them were trifold, 3 were quad-fold, and another 3 of them were either folded like a map or were more like pamphlets."

Alex: "Which is your most cherished?"

Contestant: "Well, it would be unfair to all of them if I chose a favorite, but if I did have to choose, it would be a brochure for a roadside attraction in Missouri I obtained in 1998. It was for a potato museum, and it was very well crafted, with a quad-fold design, but what made it interesting was it had this hologram on the second page."

Alex: "A potato museum in Missouri? That's crazy!"

Contestant: "That's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much."

Alex: "Excellent! Moving on..."

Comment

Yeah the Game Show Q&A sessions annoy me a lot; but I can accept them because they are usually pretty short. I'd prefer they weren't there; just let me know who they are and where they are from and MAYBE what their job is if it's applicable. Beyond that, I don't care. Hell even the quasi-skit-intros Wipeout does are almost too much for me.

The problem is, today's producer's have gotten in their heads that people want to know Who they are, who their family is, where they are from, their resume down to the lemonade stand they ran while they were 10 years old, their schooling, and so forth.

Cut out the meaningless babbling and get back to what we tuned in for; the Obstacle course, or the trivia questions or whatever the point of the show is. Save the meaningless babbling for the Doctor Phil type shows.

Comment

Working...
      X