Overplayed songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overplayed songs

Hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread, nothing came up in a search.

Just what it says on the label, pretty much. My current #1 being Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe. Earlier this week, I changed the radio station because it started playing, and the one I switched to started playing it almost immediately, too At first it was catchy, and more importantly, easily parodied. But die. Die in a fire already.

Adding to that list is anything by Bruno Mars. I liked the Lazy Song but any of the 'romantic' ones sound like a 12 year old boy singing about his first crush.

Blow My Whistle.

Dear Mr. Flo Rida - We get it, you love oral sex and write songs about it. Now go away.
    A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

I listen to Pandora pretty much exclusively.

If something is repetitive, they have an option to not play it for a while.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I love Pandora! Unfortunately, as of late it's been really slow loading songs, and then will randomly stop several times in the middle of them, so I switch to FM radio. I turn off or switch away from Call Me, Maybe at least once a day.
      A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

We have Sirius XM in the car (there are FOUR non-country stations in this town.) But even then, you hear a lot of the same stuff. There was a time when "We are Young" would be playing on three different stations at the same time.

Comment

I dunno if it was strictly down here or not, but way back when Green Day came out with "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" that was played once every hour. People requested it like mad.

I still loath that song to this day.

Comment

I blame Clear Channel Radio. They own pretty much everyone and they play the shit out of any song that is even remotely catchy.

Of course, they only play it after interrupting their uninterrupted 30 music mix where they play more music than any other radio station but only after these important announcements from their sponsors.

Comment

I was just thinking about this while still on the main page and about to click this forum. We have XM at work but half of what they play is Adele whose voice I can't stand. The other half seems to be monoplized by Train.

Can't stand Bruno either but only because he says the chick's eyes were open when they first kissed. How exactly does he know this?

Comment

What I don't like is the stations that say they only play the song once in a eight hour period but then play five or six of that artists songs. Over those 8 hours it starts to sound all the same. Another thing is I HATE HATE HATE that stupid bust a move song. One radio station you can time your watch to when they play it for lunch. I *KNOW* they have more songs then that in their libraries but when I called to ask them about it I was told I could make a request. So I did every day for over a month and still that damn Bust a Move song like clockwork.

Also cause of how many times it was played when it was new that don't like your girlfriend song is one I hate. Should have heard me yell when it came over the ex-db's ipod. He started to crack up laughing till I growled.

Comment

red solo cup needs to be taken out back and put down.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyBarbossa View Post
                    Just what it says on the label, pretty much. My current #1 being Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe. Earlier this week, I changed the radio station because it started playing, and the one I switched to started playing it almost immediately, too At first it was catchy, and more importantly, easily parodied. But die. Die in a fire already.
                    I didn't mind the song when it came out. It wasn't played all that much locally. But, after being at a car show...and being within earshot of the Radio Disney stand, it needs to go away. That song came on every 5 minutes. Two days later, I wanted to firebomb that stand!

But, it is the fault of Clear Channel. Locally, they own just about all of the stations. Stations, which were better left alone, instead of CC trying to make them all the same. Seriously, how many talk stations, how many "today's music" stations do we really need in one area?

Not long ago, we had 104.7 The Beat. They played music that you wouldn't hear anywhere else in town. Then CC bought them, and rolled out another talk station

...and that's why I don't listen to radio much now. Too many commercials, too many annoying songs, and too much bullshit about "celebrities" during the morning drive.

Comment

When I worked at Wal-Mart, the store radio often overplayed certain songs, especially at Christmas. I don't know if it's still the case, but at that time, Walmart had their own radio station, and it played at all of the stores. So if you were in the store and heard something playing on the radio, that was playing at every other Walmart in the country. I always thought that was kind of neat.

Almost every Christmas, I got so sick of "Jingle Bell Rock" that I almost wanted to call the store radio station every time it came on and say, "Come on, you JUST PLAYED THIS A HALF HOUR AGO!" (often, that wasn't an exaggeration, either). Another holiday song they played to death was "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. I've never liked that song, either. Something about it gives me the willies.

The rest of the year, if you liked love songs from the late 70s and early 80s, you could enjoy listening to the radio in the store. There were also some days they'd play most if not all of the Dirty Dancing songs. Now, when I wander into Walmart, I'll hear Maroon 5 or something else from the 90s or 00s.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                        ...and that's why I don't listen to radio much now. Too many commercials, too many annoying songs, and too much bullshit about "celebrities" during the morning drive.
                        and people wonder why I listen to NPR most of the time. most of the local radio stations either play country, pop top 40 or rap all of which I really do not like.

doing delivery I have LOTS of time to listen to the radio. the local "rock station" plays a little too much heavy metal to be interesting to me

say what you want about NPR talk shows (Ohh they are too liberal ohhh they are too conservative) and the local state public radio but at least the topics covered on their talk shows are interesting and do keep my attention. one program I always catch on weekend nights is Old Time Radio where they play old 30 - 50's radio shows like X-1, Suspence, old comdey shows like Jack Benny or Fibber Magee for 3 solid hours on Sat and Sunday nights.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                          red solo cup needs to be taken out back and put down.
                          This, this, a thousand times this.

I never listen to the radio - that's what my mp3 player is for. If I'm driving anywhere, I plug that in and my 5500+ song library will take me wherever I need to go. But at work, I can't avoid it, and that song comes on both radio stations we've used in the store. My only solace is that it's become kind of a running joke between my coworkers and I, so at least I'm not suffering alone. Still, that song needs to die a horrible death.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyBarbossa View Post
                            Hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread, nothing came up in a search.

Adding to that list is anything by Bruno Mars. I liked the Lazy Song but any of the 'romantic' ones sound like a 12 year old boy singing about his first crush.

Blow My Whistle.

Dear Mr. Flo Rida - We get it, you love oral sex and write songs about it. Now go away.
                            There are 3 stations I will listen to before I plug my iPod into my car CD player and let er rip. But of that list:

Carly Rae Jepsen: A-fucking-greed. That song drives me nuts. The other day I started hearing it and I'm just like "FUUUUUU!" *switches over to iPod*

Bruno Mars: Haven't heard anything new coming out of his lineup, the most recent song of him I own is "Grenade" (I also have Count On Me)

"Whistle" (Flo Rida): I have also heard that WAY too much. The first time I heard it, it took me a full verse and chorus before I realised exactly what that song was about

My own additions to that list:

ANYTHING by One Direction: OK, we get it, you're trying to bring back teen pop. Now fuck off and start writing your own songs instead of playing the manufactured crap that you're asked to do.

"Lego House" by Ed Sheeran: I like the song, think its great, but I don't need to hear it twenty times in one day.

I remember years ago that this radio show (one of the breakfast ones) was trying to pressure someone into doing something for the community (not sure what, but it wasn't anything too silly). So in an effort to drum up support and to pressure the guy, they started playing this one song. On loop.

He caved within about 30 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                              When I worked at Wal-Mart, the store radio often overplayed certain songs, especially at Christmas. I don't know if it's still the case, but at that time, Walmart had their own radio station, and it played at all of the stores. So if you were in the store and heard something playing on the radio, that was playing at every other Walmart in the country. I always thought that was kind of neat.

Almost every Christmas, I got so sick of "Jingle Bell Rock" that I almost wanted to call the store radio station every time it came on and say, "Come on, you JUST PLAYED THIS A HALF HOUR AGO!" (often, that wasn't an exaggeration, either). Another holiday song they played to death was "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. I've never liked that song, either. Something about it gives me the willies.

The rest of the year, if you liked love songs from the late 70s and early 80s, you could enjoy listening to the radio in the store. There were also some days they'd play most if not all of the Dirty Dancing songs. Now, when I wander into Walmart, I'll hear Maroon 5 or something else from the 90s or 00s.
                              I miss Wal-Mart radio. We used to all like trying to answer the trivia questions in the morning. I don't know what they're doing now, since sometimes we have music, and sometimes we don't. But I do know that during the spring months, if I heard 'Drops of Jupiter' many more times I was going to scream. It was once every couple of hours, at least. And funnily enough, when I was there back in '04, they actually played Never Gonna Give You Up a lot. Before it became a meme.

Christmas is still pretty awful, as they play the SAME few songs with a dozen different artists 'covering' them. I'm not sure what happened, but one day The Cranky Pharmacistâ„¢, who is averted to having a radio on at work anyways, was nearly in tears of insanity. He had already shut off the stereo we have in the pharm, but the overhead had been playing the same song, but the same artist, in a loop for about half an hour. He called a manager and said he didn't know what was going on and didn't care what they had to do, but to fix it RIGHT NOW. By that time it was on just about everyone else's nerves, too. My own 'stabby' Christmas song is Santa Baby. I don't care who sings it, all the versions suck. Also ditto to "Wonderful Christmas Time". Not Christmasy and to say it's repetitive would be like calling the ocean slightly salty. Other stabby-ish ones are Christmas Shoes and Last Christmas. Death and heartbreak put me into the holiday spirit do not. And there are probably hundreds of Christmas songs without playing the same twelve over and over.
                              A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Working...
                              X