So the whole Korean Pop thing ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the whole Korean Pop thing ...

So I gave Gangam style a wide berth for months now and watched it a week or so before Todd in the shadows did his pop song review on it, when I first heard of it it was via a link to a parody song and TBH I thought it was Gun Dam Style, why no one has made this parody yet I have no idea, get to it interwebs.

Now I have this accquaintance (Captain Dickhead) who's into Eurovision and likes songs that are not in English, I have to admit I do like listening to some acts even though I do not have a clue what they are on about and he asked me ages ago what I thought of a band, I'm thinking Sistar as I have an old link to a you tube video, he played a song on a car trip to town once and asked what I thought of it, can't remember my comment but more 'meh' if it's the song linked.

So when I was video hopping from a rewatch of Gangam Style I clicked on the (feat Hyue) version (may have gotten the name wrong there, afaik she is the red head from the train in the main video, god she's bad in this, singing with the bubble voice I hate from some Jpop acts from many many years ago, thing is in her main band 4 Minute, she and the others sing normally, I used that fire fox plug in to copy some videos and from F(x) too so I could stick em on my phone cos I found some catchy and others just some eye candy.

I don't mind listening to the odd track althouh I am biased to listening to female groups mainly cos I'd rather watch 5 cute girls dance around than 5 boys even if it was the exact same song.

Now Jpop I can understand having a large following in America with the Anime fans and some Korean acts have Japanese language versions of their songs to reach a wider audience so a Korean singing in Japanese getting a following in the States pre Gungam Style I can see happening, so when clicking on a god awful jpop baby voice singer one of the first comments was about Gungam, with a reply of "Hello, this came out a year before Gungam did"

People forget that the internet and Youtube are global, Korean bands and lables are not uploading Korean music videos to an American website to reach a wider audence, they are uploading to service their local audience, it just so happens everyone else can get a look in.
    Getting fed up reading comments bitching about all the K/J-pop around these days, kinda like saying "I'm sick of you talking about German politics." on a website about German Politics.
    Simple solution, don't read the comments, but sometimes I'm trying to find out more about WTF I just listened to, like who the band is for example.

I also looked for a few Rammstien videos whilst I was at it, again most of the first comments were about Naziism
    "oh they sing in German so they must be singing about how great Nazi's are"
    give me a break, every singer in the world must only sing in English? fuck off youtube commentors.

I thought K pop visuals would be safer than Jpop, less on the kwai shtik and Lolita outfits, the first F(x) video I watched proved me wrong, it was Pinoccio (danger) and featured a CGI ball with ears and a very long nose, those kinds of space hoppers have been in adult websites for years.

Written disjointedly inserting paragraphs between others all over the show as I thought of something.

TLR
    Don't like it? don't listen to it or click on youtube links from other k/jpop music videos, the only time you are 'forced' to listen to it is when Gangam comes onto the radio and you have no option to change the station, but given what the station work has, it's a welcome change from hearing "whistle" every hour.

I think most people don't realize that "Gangnam Style" is satire - he's making fun of those that live in Gangnam, an affluent part of South Korea (I've heard it described as the Jersey Shore of Korea, people with more money than sense). Either way, it's cute and pop-y and fun.

I love listening to music from other countries. Most of the Jpop I'm familiar with does come from anime, like the songs from the credits of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Gurren Lagann. Our recessional at our wedding was "San Francisco" by a group called Midicronia and used as the final credits on the last episode of Samurai Champloo. I have an affinity for French pop, especially Zazie, that tends to drive the Hubby crazy, and sometimes there's just nothing better than drinking red wine and listening to Edith Piaf and Jacques Brel. We both listen to a lot of electronica, and the majority of that still comes from Europe, but with mostly English lyrics. (Exceptions: "Allein" which is just the word "allein" repeated over and over again.)

Comment

The Japanese version of 4 Minute's Ready Go, not listened to the Korean original to compare, could have been an early Girls aloud track going by the beat and guitar riff alone, no sodding idea what they are on about mind save for "shut up and go away"

I'm not sure if one of the members of F(x) even knows what she is singing, wiki listed her as being American/other country that isn't korea, which kind of explained why her english verses esp the raps were more authentic, she sounds fluent enough, well to me who has no idea what anything means and only knows a smattering of Japanese (which obviously wont get me far in Korean language classes, not that I intend to take any) having said (typed) that, iir Celine Dion early on in her Career had no idea what she was singing as she spoke no English at all, pitty the art of trolling didn't exsist with song writers working for her at the time.
      She might not have got to tell us time and time again that her heart would go on, if she had spent her early career telling us how big her dick was in many a thesaurus way.

Comment

Doh misread, sorry. The song is catchy, but I like some of the parodies better. I love Gandalf Style.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
          I also looked for a few Rammstien videos whilst I was at it, again most of the first comments were about Naziism
          "oh they sing in German so they must be singing about how great Nazi's are"
          give me a break, every singer in the world must only sing in English? fuck off youtube commentors.
          if you like Rammstein, check out Eisbrecher, and of course Emigrate(Richard Krupse of Rammstein singing in English, he actually cannibalizes the riff from Rosenrot for one of his songs, it's kind of interesting)
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            I think most people don't realize that "Gangnam Style" is satire - he's making fun of those that live in Gangnam, an affluent part of South Korea (I've heard it described as the Jersey Shore of Korea, people with more money than sense). Either way, it's cute and pop-y and fun.
            Which makes the Mitt Romney style parody funnier.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              Most of the Jpop I'm familiar with does come from anime, like the songs from the credits of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Gurren Lagann.
              Ahem. Row row, fight da powah.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                Ahem. Row row, fight da powah.
                Awww, that makes me sad. Nooooo, Kiton! *sniffle*

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                  Which makes the Mitt Romney style parody funnier.
                  I just saw the one with deadpool.. lol

Comment

The Deadpool parody is actually the first time I encountered the song.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Don't even get me STARTED on Hyuna's version. I like her dance for it, but I call her "Pikachu" for that.

I've been listening to Korean pop, rap, and rock since I started dating my boyfriend. (Tiger JK has some english songs, if you like rap...and Y.B's "Butterfly" is good for the Rock.)

I had to laugh that while the pretty boy bands of SM like Super Junior or Se7en (who actually may be YG...forgot) tried so hard to get in here, someone like Psy made it into our radio.

BoA is probably miffed too. ;]

As for Japanese music, I love the rock and pop and even traditional enka. (Don't laugh.)
                      I think with AKB48's "sugar rush" being in "Wreck-it-Ralph" will be a slighttttttt bump in American interest to Asian music as well, but we'll see.

And yes, I love gangnam style and I do the dance for fun, and in the maid cafe I'm openly in ;3

Comment

Originally posted by kaycivine View Post
                        I think with AKB48's "sugar rush" being in "Wreck-it-Ralph" will be a slighttttttt bump in American interest to Asian music as well, but we'll see.
                        Thank Skrillex for that, he was the composer for "Wreck-It Ralph."

Comment

Working...
                        X