It's Always the Better Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
    Network television makes a lot more sense when you remember that they're aiming for the lowest common denominator in American culture. I mean, they still make 3 camera sitcoms with laugh tracks for heaven's sake.
    In all fairness, more of the sitcoms have a live audience for most of their scenes than you think. They might do some editing to either not make it as long or add a little filler here and there, but just because you hear people laughing doesn't necessarily mean it's completely fake.

Comment

They always add canned laughter to supplement the audience. There's just something so campy and contrived about the 3-Camera sitcom....I don't want TV in my theatre, and I don't want theatre in my TV, y'know? Not to mention that the subject matter is lame and the writing is usually terrible. Nothing is more boring than, "I have a wife and kids! Isn't that just crazy enough to be interesting while still being relateable?" No, no it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
        One of the primary reasons that Star Trek got low rating was that NBC moved the show around each season despite the huge following it had.
        This is what CBS did to Forever Knight. Although, if I recall, it kind of slid off the rails a bit in it's last season. Not that most viewers knew where the hell to find it in the lineup. >_<

They always add canned laughter to supplement the audience.
        Live studio audience taping has about an hour after the show is done filming where the people running things give the audience cues and the audience sits and does what they want, which includes a lot of laughing in different ways.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I forgot about forever knight. I loved that show. I hate how they ended it.

Comment

They always add canned laughter to supplement the audience. There's just something so campy and contrived about the 3-Camera sitcom....I don't want TV in my theatre, and I don't want theatre in my TV, y'know? Not to mention that the subject matter is lame and the writing is usually terrible. Nothing is more boring than, "I have a wife and kids! Isn't that just crazy enough to be interesting while still being relateable?" No, no it's not.
            I so agree and I dislike most sitcoms. The exception being The Big Bang Theory. Good writing, good actors, good chemistry, good plots, unique.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Question about "The Big Bang Theory" - I know that the characters are very much into geek culture - sci fi and tabletop gaming and such....how is the treatment of, say, anime or PC gaming or LARPing? I ask because I've noticed a split in geek culture - stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars is cool, trendy, and original, whereas anime is gross and weird and you should be shunned like the outcast that you are!

ETA: The whole "wife and kids" thing is the exact reason that I can't get into Louis CK's comedy, and have therefore never given his tv show a chance. I hear good things, but, if the standup is boring....

Comment

Question about "The Big Bang Theory" - I know that the characters are very much into geek culture - sci fi and tabletop gaming and such....how is the treatment of, say, anime or PC gaming or LARPing? I ask because I've noticed a split in geek culture - stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars is cool, trendy, and original, whereas anime is gross and weird and you should be shunned like the outcast that you are!
                There's an episode where Sheldon and Leonard are watching anime, so that one's in, PC gaming they have out the wazoo (Age of Conan, WoW, several other MMPORGs and FPSs) and, while they haven't specifically LARPed, they do have an episode where they visit a Renaissance Faire and they're big into paintball.

Comment

They also Cosplay for various events as well. Raj as Wonder Woman was not the best of visuals.
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Well, I guess me and my group of geek friends are a weird segment of the base then. We like Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc. as well as anime and other things like that.

o.O

Comment

I like it all, too, although I lean toward the other side. I'm referring to nonsense like this, mostly.

Comment

I like it all, too, although I lean toward the other side. I'm referring to nonsense like this, mostly.
                        *head desk*

I would like to introduce those idiots to Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, both the series and the movie, and for added PUNCH IN THE FEELS I would throw Gungrave in there too. (Seriously, what Brandon Heat had to do? Broke my heart every single time I see that series.)

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                          *head desk*

I would like to introduce those idiots to Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, both the series and the movie, and for added PUNCH IN THE FEELS I would throw Gungrave in there too. (Seriously, what Brandon Heat had to do? Broke my heart every single time I see that series.)
                          Cowboy Bebop. Oh damn the memories.

Man, fuck that anime hate right in yarbles.

Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke (Hell, EVERYTHING by Miazaki...most things by Ghibli, really. Whisper of the Heart, the Cat Returns, Nausicaa, etc )Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade, Wings of Honnemeise, Gankutsuo...bloody hell.

I also hate that the little infographic treats anime as a catchall...I'd never recommend Cowboy Bebop in the same way I'd recomend, say, Azumanga Daioh. -_-

Comment

Grave of the Fireflies.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I knew Hubby liked anime, and I wanted to watch a series with him. It took him a few days to decide before he settled on Gurren Lagann. Good choice, although it took me a few episodes to get past the bouncing boobicles. Then we watched FMA: Brotherhood and I was hooked. That's just a great TV show - animated or otherwise. Sketchy anime does exist - Elfin Lied for example, I mean, What The Hell - but it's not the majority, especially among the stuff that makes it overseas. I also kinda separate Miyazaki/Ghibli films from series. Yes, it's still Japanese animation and storytelling, but in a completely different way.

While all you anime lovers are all gathered in one thread, I gotta say - if you aren't watching Sword Art Online then you need to stop everything that you're doing and WATCH IT. The NA rights are with Aniplex, so the 'official' sub/dubs should be pretty good. (Hubby torrents it from somewhere).

Actually, this reminds me of something that's somewhat related to the actual topic - when only parts of series are on DVD or Netflix. "No Reservations" only has ~75 episodes on Netflix. Only the first three "seasons" of "FMA: Brotherhood" are on Netflix, and those are the only ones in a box set on DVD. You have to buy 4 and 5 separately, and they're really expensive. A little consistency is all I'm asking for.

Comment

My brother was making a similar complaint yesterday: shows that were produced in HD but are released only on DVD.
                                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                                X