Phone Prank Causes a Nurse to Commit Suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Prank Causes a Nurse to Commit Suicide

Someone started a thread about this in Sightings, which wasn't exactly the right place for it:

Originally posted by DougieZerts
    I'm sure you've all heard this story. Two DJ's phone prank caused a nurse to commit suicide. Here's a link to it:

http://www.eonline.com/news/369890/k...-nurse-s-death
    I wanted to talk about it here because I'm sure a lot of us in this forum have been the victims of stupid phone pranks. I have! So I thought it would be good for us all to discuss.
    So I restarted the thread here. Mods, if you think this belongs in Societal Woes or elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

Case you haven't heard, the basic details are:

1. Duchess Kate was hospitalised with severe morning sickness
    2. Two morning shock jocks in Australia try calling in to the hospital, pretending they are the Queen and her son
    3. A nurse on duty (at 5AM GMT, note) who is from India and therefore doesn't necessarily recognize the Aussie accents, answers the phone, thinks this is really HM the Queen and passes the phone on to another nurse,
    4. who then proceeds to tell them about her current medical condition
    5. The radio station airs the conversation, repeatedly, and giggling via social media "look how funny we are, hyuk hyuk"
    6. UK media set up a howl calling for these two nurses' heads
    7. The nurse who initially answered the phone is found dead three days later, presumed a suicide
    8. UK media reverse 180 degrees and start calling for the jocks' heads

Of course everyone is blaming the radio announcers, but it seems to me there's quite enough blame to go around:

A. Mel Greig and Michael Christian, the two morons who thought it would be funny to call a hospital (at 0 dark 30 in the morning, when there's no switchboard operator and the nurses on duty are nearing the ends of what might have been a long hard shift) asking first to speak to a celebrity patient, and then asking about her medical condition, while impersonating the most powerful person in the country

B: the management staff at 2SkyFM radio station, who reviewed the tape of the conversation (which didn't go out live on the air) and decided to broadcast it;

C: the legal staff at the abovementioned station, who tried (allegedly five times) to get through to the hospital to get their permission to air the tape, never got though to them, and cleared it anyway;

D: the British tabloid press, and their online commenters, who were responsible for much of the outrage against the nurses in the first place, until the tragic end of the story happened;

E: the hospital. They have claimed that they were very supportive of the two nurses, but who knows what was said behind closed doors

F: the nurse herself, for taking what Jester once called "the selfish way out"

and last but not least,

G: the imbeciles who listen to this station, and others like it, and think that embarrassing someone in front of the whole world is funny.

So whaddaya think?

As far as I'm aware, the two who'd done the prank call didn't actually intend for it to get quite so far.

There is also a law in place that requires the other party to be aware that it's a prank BEFORE it's broadcast.

The attitude down here seems to be along the lines of "blood on their hands" or similar. They didn't know the nurse, they didn't know that she would commit suicide and admittedly I have to agree more with B and C.

Comment

The shock jocks no longer have their jobs and their program has been cancelled. They themselves have been reported having some mental distress over the fact that someone took their life over their prank. I have to wonder who at the station agreed that this sort of prank should take place to begin with.

I've heard Bob and Tom do similear things and have been squarly shot down while on air but again I have to wonder...who gives the go ahead for such stupidity.

Comment

I have to say that I don't consider this kind of thing as funny at all. The suicide of the nurse is upsetting, but even without that, it's still unfunny. Had they just made a sketch on the radio, parodying the whole thing without actually calling the hospital, it would have been better.

Pointing out that the radio station has been in trouble before over pranks; you'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson after making a teenage girl confess to having been raped live on air.
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Have to say, as a former reporter, I have very little sympathy for the ex-DJs "mental anguish." Nobody assumes a practical joke will lead to tragedy and then pulls it off anyway (or at least, nobody who qualifies as human) but it happened, and they need to deal with it and stop whining for pity for themselves.

Comment

Even if this didn't result in a nurses suicide, it's not a very funny joke to begin with.

What a couple of morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixilated View Post
              Have to say, as a former reporter, I have very little sympathy for the ex-DJs "mental anguish." Nobody assumes a practical joke will lead to tragedy and then pulls it off anyway (or at least, nobody who qualifies as human) but it happened, and they need to deal with it and stop whining for pity for themselves.
              Admittedly, I suspect that the media in general is milking it.

Yes it happened. But we do not need 5 articles on an opinion site (the punch) telling us about it. We do not need FOUR pages worth of news on it in the paper. -.-

And yes, I do agree that it was a practical joke that went wrong, but at the same time, I think they wanted to capitalise on the whole "Kate Middleton is pregnant" thing.

Comment

sorry, but I have NO sympathy for the "shock jocks", and personally think they should face criminal charges for this. from what little I've heard, the nurse would have faced THREE inquiries pillorying her; she almost certainly would have lost her job, with the media attention? she'd face a destroyed life. all so some two-bit radio station can get a few more viewers.

Not to mention, the violation of medical privacy... It's a cornerstone of being able to treat somebody that no-one else need know what has been told to the medical professional; for example, if an ambulance is called for somebody, the advice is to tell the paramedic if the victim's taken any illegal drugs; the police won't be told under any circumstances. It's why this is considered so serious.

Comment

Even if it was the queen on the phone she might have been in the shit, iir in the UK it's called the Coldecot principle, even though I do not have any interaction with patients or hospitals directly I have to abide by patient confidentiality and had this explained to me (and others) during my induction almost 9 years ago.
                  At the time I asked how it really applied to me as I was (and still am) a packer and all I see are numbers for food, no names bar the hospital.
                  Then I started geting faxes handed to me to sort out extras for, some stated the patient name and their preferences to certain meals, now I don't need to know that Joe Blogs on ward 12 is a vegan due to lactose intolerance, all I need to know is I'm meant to send an extra vegan meal out and let the ward staff deal with it.
                  Again birthday cakes used to have the patient name as well as the ward on the lable, I should not know who the recipent is (not cos it may contraviene the principle, but it adds one extra layer of useless info IMO).

So the Queen calling at an ungodly hour should be asked to call back later or come by in person as over the phone who can say who really is who they say they are, wouldn't Kate have a PA who could relay info to her extended family.

Even if she wasn't tricked into talking about her, but actually gossiped with her family and word got out to the wider world, or even if she tweeted or facebooked something, same shit different fan, even bragging that you gave pete doherty a stomache pump lands you in exactly the same hot water as it's not your place to divuldge that kind of information.

Comment

There is a morning show I used to listen to. ONe morning they kept harassing this old lady and I thought to myself, "this is funny?" I mean they were asking her questions I barely knw what the things meant...so I would imagine she'd have no clue...so she'd be saying yes to getting a cleveland steamer and what not. Bah.

Comment

That she suicided is an assumption. The official word is that there are "no suspicious circumstances". Whether suicide is included in that category, I couldn't say.
                      Just because she has an Indian accent, doesn't mean she's not fluent in English - she's lived here for 10 years.
                      She was SO distraught she... didn't mention it to her family.
                      She put through a call, which sounded reasonable - whether she should have checked at that point the identity of the caller I don't know.
                      The Nurse she put the call through to gushed details of how Kate was doing in response to a pair of pathetic attempts at accents and the corniest patter around. Complete with corgi impressions. She appears to be still alive at this point.
                      I don't recall even seeing this in the news until Jacintha Saldanha was found dead - I certainly haven't seen her being pilloried anywhere.

Have a very close look at what news reports ACTUALLY say, not what they IMPLY. They're quite different.

Was the prank call pathetic? Yup. Did it kill Jacintha Saldanha? Unlikely in the extreme.

Comment

The BBC had an indepth article on the concept of radio prank calls...ummm... *digs around for it* Aha!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20664854

They're wondering whether this is the end of this concept, but they do make a good point near the end of the article; that these pranks work better if you prank call the Queen or Tony Blair, people used to the limelight and able to take the embarrassment, rather than a member of the public who are just trying to hold on to their job.

Comment

I find the entire idea of pranking strangers to be distasteful, at best. It's rare when radio jocks come up with a clever idea that isn't also cruel.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I hate pranks. ;-; They seem ridiculous and pointless to me
                            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                              That she suicided is an assumption. The official word is that there are "no suspicious circumstances". Whether suicide is included in that category, I couldn't say.
                              Official word is now that it is suicide: she left three notes and hanged herself, also evident are injuries to her wrists. "No suspicious circumstances" means that nobody else was involved in the death, per this article.

Just because she has an Indian accent, doesn't mean she's not fluent in English - she's lived here for 10 years.
                              I've always assumed that everyone in India is at least somewhat proficient in English, given their colonial heritage, or at least the ones of Ms Saldanha's generation. Doesn't mean they recognize all the accents. I've lived in the USA all my life, I think I'm pretty proficient with the English language, and I can tell a Brooklynite from a Texan, but I don't know if I could distinguish an upper-class British accent from a lower-class Australian accent trying to imitate one.

Comment

Working...
                              X