Female Covers Vs Male Originals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Covers Vs Male Originals

I could do this as an extention of the similar thread I started some time last year (ooh makes even December seem long ago saying that), but TBH although a new vs old, having a gender specific rule helps keep the sidetracking down (I hope).

Recently someone (I do not know who) covered Franky Goes to Hollywood's "Power of love" not to be confused with all the other power of love songs around, I half recognised the words from the intro "Keep the vampires from your door." etc, but as it's not a song I listen to often (ie maybe 10 times in my life, not that I was counting) it didn't jump out at me as a cover at first just maybe using a similar line, till a more familiar part came up.

I'm undecided if this one is better as I have only heard it briefly on occasions on the works radio when set to Heart instead of Kiss FM.

No more I love you's by Annie Lennox or the I never knew it was a cover of The lover speaks till Bennet the sage did a video, I'll say original.

Leona Lewis had a different arrangement for her version of Snow Patrols Run instead of yet another woman singing Karaokie on prime time TV which I class Xfactor etc as, the arangement alone is a tonal shift, but I'm not a fan of the song by either to really put it in a head to head.

Cindi Lauper (sp) and her version of I drove all night, the big O was reletively unknown to me and my peers till the movie pretty woman got his single more airplay and a few others he did sprang out, I got this on whatever of her albums it was and a best of (well two almost identical best of's) and having a woman telling the story of how she "Drove all night, woke you from your sleep to make love to you." even with the "is that all right, I drove all night." after it, well it seem's less rapey.

Speaking of the old Big O, Rebekah Del Rio and her version of Crying (Lorando) from Mulholand Drive, big win for Del Rio.
    I got the youtube clip on my phone and played it to a co worker and she asked if I understood it,
    "in a way I do," then when the key part came on I sang along in English and she then recognised the song.

Again someone I never found out the name of a few years ago covered Elton John's your song, both versions I'm meh about, but the cover looses points as the woman from the Lorando paragraph loved the song and cranked the works radio up high and as the walls are tiled it bounced the sounds around that I could not stand to hear it.

Patty (Patti?) Smith and Prince's When does cry, Guy upstairs is very anti cover in general, but I think her's owns, pitty she didn't play it Live the two times I've seen her.

I'm not exactly sure where I am going with this save for asking if you can add to the list with songs by other artists, preferably with a bit about why you think it is better or worse than the male original.

Exclusions, male composer but first known release is a female vocalist, as that a cover does not make
    EG Because the Night by Patty Smith, although afaik co written with Springsteen in a let me finish that song for you kinda way, I don't think that ever made it onto one of his own LP's and if it did it would no doubt be after making his the cover.

Duet's are alowed, hell the cover of "master and servant" sounds better as a duet discussing their roles in a joint venture rather than a one sided aproach, even though the words are the same and rabit in the moon's waiting for the night came from the same tribute album and I love both almost equally, with a slight bias to the cover, cos she sounds georgeous, but then again so does Pam Ayres.

EG of duet or similar colaborations
    Mark Ronsons Vallery with Amy Winehouse on vocals, even though it now has a mild lesbian / girl crush slant to it.

Quick shout out to DJ Sammy and the candle light mix of Bryan Addams Heaven, the faster vocal mix is shite but the normal speed vocals and minimalistic arrangement is brilliant.

Now over to you
    Last edited by Ginger Tea; 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM.

Something like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpKqvdamEW4

"Shop Around" seems to me a better than average example, because a female singer requires (well, not quite, but...) reversing the lyrics as well.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Care to elaborate on that one, eg who did the male only version, assuming this is a duet as the info text was on about duets of husbands and wives.

Or is this more of a song that was rewritten like the Elton John Kiki Dee song that escapes me where they just changed a few words and gender pronouns (is that the right one?) from a single voice to a duet.

As for the reversing of the lyrics, kinda wish Cindi Lauper did that with one of her Prince Penned songs "when you were mine", cos the way it was sung by a woman was either her girlfriend had gone off with a guy or her guy had gone of with another man, yet changing those few words wouldnt have been that hard now would it.

edit: although without looking up the lyrics of playing the mp3, I'm sure there is a line about "wearing all my clothes" which for a man to sing about a woman is OK as women wear "male" clothes making Jeans and Tshirts rather gender nutural, but for a woman to sing that of a man then implies that her guy might have been a cross dresser or discovering his gender identity is actually female and for him to run of with another guy is him realising hes actually a hetrosexual woman.
      Wow all that from being too lazy to rewrite the lyrics ...
      Last edited by Ginger Tea; 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Females singing covers of Male originals?

I'll start with Snake River Conspiracy. Oh, the things I'd let Tobey Torres do to me

How Soon is Now from Morrissey
        Love Song from The Cure

Moving from Electronica to Ska, I'll goto Save Ferris. I wouldn't stop Monique Powell either.
        Come on Eileen by Dexie's Midnight Runners

Letters to Cleo covered I Want You To Want Me by Cheap Trick

Dance Hall Crashers covered American Girl by Tom Petty
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

How could I have forgotten Snake river, I only found out abut them by chance last april may at the once a month goth club (only made it to 3 last year which was better than not at all the last 2) How soon is now I'm not so sure on, least it's better than TaTu's version

Not seen the CD for sale and thought Lovesong was a newish song as it had a dubstep feel to it, but I guess comming out in 2000 not every record shop (not that we have many in Cambridge) has it, but my *ahem* tempoary copy has a near 60 play count last time I looked and most of that came from playing it on a loop waiting for the bus to Manchester, then the whole half hour trip all within a fortnight of hearing the song.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
            cos the way it was sung by a woman was either her girlfriend had gone off with a guy or her guy had gone of with another man, yet changing those few words wouldnt have been that hard now would it.<snip>
            Wow all that from being too lazy to rewrite the lyrics ...
            aaannnd considering Cyndi Lauper is a Lesbian, it's possible she wasn't being lazy, or wanted to present it that way(transgender) but that option is apparently somehow wrong?

I actually prefer Joan Jett's version of Dirty Deeds to ACDC's version-it's gritty without being grating if that makes sense.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
              aaannnd considering Cyndi Lauper is a Lesbian, it's possible she wasn't being lazy, or wanted to present it that way(transgender) but that option is apparently somehow wrong?
              I don't see it as wrong, society on the whole might view cross dressing in and of itself as wrong and view those men that do dress up as women, or atleast wear skirts (that are not Kilts) as homosexuals or wished to have been born female, but I say to them "They are not women's clthes they are my clothes, I bought them new."
              And Transgenderd is even more looked down on than mere dress up, but I see niether as wrong or anything in the whole LBGT, as I said society on the whole although shifting it's view is still rather negative towards 'the norm' but that's a whole nother thread.

Never bothered to look up her sexual orientation or anyone elses for that matter, she was never in your face about it in songs* and her UK tv exposure was slim to non existant regarding interviews and the likes, least in the mid to late 90's where I might watch such programs.

I don't see it as wrong if she was using a male written male POV song to write about her GF running off with a man, I just put it down to either Prince being uppity about his songs being rewritten even if it was changing he to she his to her etc, I like the song, not a great deal as I have not listened to it in a while, but from the album (iir it's from She's so Unusual) it's no where near as highly played as all through the night.
              I just thought at the time, well a guy wrote the song so it's a guy's POV it's just a woman singing it.

I see some song's/singers as acotrs, they didn't write the lyrics so they may not be in the character of the song, others get the character and you believe they are feeling the emotions expressed.

*I was on the loo after posting about the song and the lazy writing part when I ear wormed part of the song and sat there thinking about it, back in the 90's when I first heard the song, as stated I put it down to male POV female vocalsit, I was well aware that some men do like men and some women do like women, but I was not aware that some men do go through surgery to become women, at the time transexual was just a line in sweet transvestite.
              so if she chose to do that song meaning that when her lover wore her clothes, it never struck me at the time as being either about a cross dresser bi/homosexual or trasngender.
              Kinda wood for the trees I guess, now if she had written the song and sung the exact same words, well I might have thought more into it earlier than "prince wrote it he probably said no you cant change that line." and they just left it as is.

Then again too much may be read into this, it could just be what it was in my mind all those years ago a male POV with a female vocalist.

Although I'm not sure if Prince ever released it himself, if he did then this deffinatly wins points for getting me to think more about it than it just being ear flufff from the 80's, even if this was just thought about more yesterday.
              Last edited by Ginger Tea; 01-11-2013, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I've often thought it would be cool if a female rocker did her verson of "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield, only changing it to "Jessie's Guy." I don't think this has ever happened, though.

Comment

I do that when I sing kareoke; I change any references to girls to guys. XD

The other way round... Marilyn Manson did a cover of Sweet Dreams, originally sung by The Eurythmics. I prefer the Manson version, but then, that's me. XD

There was also a god awful cover of Walk This Way by Aerosmith done by one of those cookie cutter girl groups, I think it was the Pussycat Dolls; it's absolutely terrible and they ought to be taken out and shot for even thinking of it. -.-
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Tori Amos did a whole album of covers. My favorite on there is her cover of 87 Bonnie and Clyde. Very very creepy.

Comment

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart have done some pretty badass covers of various Led Zeppelin songs over the years....
                      AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

I know girls aloud and the current line up of the Sugar Babes did a version of Walk this way for charidee.

It was shite but still sold bucket loads cos it was for charidee

Comment

Never bothered to look up her sexual orientation or anyone elses for that matter, she was never in your face about it in songs* and her UK tv exposure was slim to non existant regarding interviews and the likes, least in the mid to late 90's where I might watch such programs.
                          When she officially "came out", it was rather low-key-however the coverage she got for opening a homeless shelter for the LGBT youth of NYC got a lot of coverage. And yes it's called "True Colors", which is also the name of her non-profit LGBT charity.
                          I just thought at the time, well a guy wrote the song so it's a guy's POV it's just a woman singing it.<snip>
                          so if she chose to do that song meaning that when her lover wore her clothes, it never struck me at the time as being either about a cross dresser bi/homosexual or transgender.
                          Oddly enough, when I first heard the song in the 80's I actually thought it was about a female dating a bisexual male-likely because even at that young age, I pretty much knew I was attracted to both genders. Until you mentioned it I had no idea it was written by Prince. Different perspectives from different life experiences I guess.
                          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

A couple of other covers done by females of songs originally sang by males (or vice versa):

- Losing My Religion by REM (covered by Lacuna Coil)
                            - Thoughtless by Korn (covered by Evanescence)
                            - Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners (covered by Save Ferris)
                            - I Think We're Alone Now by Tommy James and the Shondells (covered by Tiffany)

I only heard the top one the other day and it is a damn good version. Some of the songs Tori Amos did on her cover album are pretty good as well as was mentioned earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                              You're thinking of her sister. Cyndi is not gay, but she's an advocate for gay rights.
                              AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X