name that show, misogyny edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• name that show, misogyny edition

reading a lot of feminist stuff lately keeps reminding me of a line from a tv show, it had to be military related at least. While questioning about a dead servicewoman's relationships one of the men "you have to understand that in [service] women are either sluts or bitches" "and [dead woman's name]?" "with all due respect she was a bitch"

That line has always stuck with me but I can't for the life of me remember what show it's from. It was so weird, the guy said it as a compliment.

the context was they either slept with someone and was perceived as a slut or didn't sleep with anyone and got called a bitch.

Law & Order: SVU, I can't remember the name of the episode though. But yeah that's fucked up, you join the military to protect your country not to be used as a living sex toy.
    "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

That's not all that different from what women face in the civilian world.

If you don't have sex/flirt you're a bitch/prude, if you do (even if only with one person) you're a whore/easy.

Comment

....Alrighty then. I'm not sure where this Civilian World is, but maybe you should move up here, we seem to be pretty far away from it. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          ....Alrighty then. I'm not sure where this Civilian World is, but maybe you should move up here, we seem to be pretty far away from it. >.>
          I'd love to move to Canada, I really would. I think being able to be a couple steps removed from the political atmosphere/cultural atmosphere here would do wonders for my stress and health. There is only so much crazy in this country *USA* that I can take so even if it's just for a couple years for the experience of another culture I'd jump at the opportunity.

Unfortunately... I don't have that opportunity.

Comment

Come to the Dark Side, we have syrup.

Comment

Tasty, tasty syrup...

Now I want to move to Canadaland as well!

Rapscallion
              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

My friends think I'm weird for taking shots of straight maple syrup (the REAL stuff) at a time when I'm feeling down. It's way better than doing alcohol for how often I shoot the stuff. @_@

Comment

My brother's in-laws hold cane grinding every fall. They make their own syrup, interesting process to watch (and it's also an occasion for a *big* family dinner, I'd say 30 or more people.) But maple's much better stuff, and hard to find around here.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    My brother's in-laws hold cane grinding every fall. They make their own syrup, interesting process to watch (and it's also an occasion for a *big* family dinner, I'd say 30 or more people.) But maple's much better stuff, and hard to find around here.
                    Not so hard to find in my neck of the woods...but then again, I live near the only city in the Continental US where you can look due south and see Canada.

Comment

Yes, but although there are plenty of maple trees in Georgia, *sugar* maples only grow up north.

I actually have some, but am afraid to try it. It's in one of those metal cans that looks like a house, is firmly stuck to the cupboard shelf, and probably moved here from Grandma's old house in 1994.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                      X