So there was a doctor who oopsie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So there was a doctor who oopsie

I didn't know about this Blu-ray box set goof till seeing if anyone had gotten round to a write up on the final episode, nothing was but there was talk of a fair whack of Blu-ray box sets going out early in America and people then asked to not spoil it for the world.

It worked as I had no idea, it's about quarter to 1am UK time, so the American broadcast may have been and gone, or it might still be due.
    I am not saying anything about the episode as it may not have been aired as yet, but I did watch it twice.

If I received this or any other box set early and episodes were still due to air, I would watch the disc's and probably marathon them if there were not many left to go. I am impatient and resent the months between this and last season so if there was an option to get the whole of this season at Christmas with the first half I would have bought it, though doing so I like a lot of others would have skewed the viewing ratings, well maybe not, if I watched the whole of season 7 over the post Christmas new year break, by the time the 2nd half started, I might be in the mood to watch the bells of st john again.

Least I know it won't be long till the whole of 7 is out as a box set, even though I have all of Clara's episodes ready to marathon on bbc iplayer for the next week, ruddy thing has a habbit of upgrading but forgetting it has videos in a folder that vlc cannot play so I had to resume season download and it had the lot from scratch so I thought eff it and got them again.

I'm very proud of the Doctor Who fandom, especially since I know some of the people who got the box set early and didn't say a word about the ending. I know how hard it can be when you're excited. I have to wait a week to talk about the episode with my boyfriend because Australia doesn't get the episode for a week or so compared to the US.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure on the time zones for each episode, reading a post last week I got the impression some might only be up to centre of the tardis, or was it heart of?

I think it was 1am when it aired, I had a look at my world clock when I posted this thread and it was about 7 or 8 New York time.

If there had been a mass leaking, I would set the American air date back by a month if not more out of spite, as it is, I didn't even know there was a leak.

For too long we in the UK have been a season behind American shows so have to pick and choose forums carefully for info as they might not have a "post no season x" rule, you might be discussing last nights season 3 of 'show' and someone brings up the whole ending in relation to an episode of 4.

I read the who thread on CS and all the white text as I had seen all episodes at that point, I agree that we didn't have a massive over season arc, maybe a few hints here and there, but I didn't care to notice the pub was called rose and crown as TBH it is a very popular pub name, it is nice to see the odd nod here and there, but when it comes to old doctor, I am at a loss as I was a child watching them and have not seen any re runs, just the odd radio dead air retrospective and all they do is remind me why I should not go back.

Old who had Nell Mangle in a sooped up wheelchair (davros) and bertie basset as baddies.
      I know Davros is meant to be big and scary and important to old who, but when you see Neighbours circa the first few years, he kinda gets defanged when he looks like her.

The production values are both it's charm and curse, the first cybermen looked like extras fell head first into a kitchen supply store and were then decorated by the blue peter team, including shep.

Comment

The production values are both it's charm and curse, the first cybermen looked like extras fell head first into a kitchen supply store and were then decorated by the blue peter team, including shep.
        I'll be honest.

I kind of liked the original cybermen.

I don't like how modern cybermen are robots. The originals... Looked a bit silly, yes. But they looked like guys in costumes, and I think that's how Cybermen SHOULD look.

That said, I love the Who fandom. Aside from the ones who don't know that the old series was a thing... Or just ignore all of its stuff.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I think there are more American's embracing old who per year than in the UK, maybe on UK Gold (if it still exists) there is a rerun of some Baker episode, but I honestly don't know the last time the BBC showed an episode.
          Granted I've not got a TV (or had one for 10 years) and watch who on bbc iPlayer when it's up an hour after it's live start (give or take).
          Even when classic who was actually modern who, I rarely saw a re run, I had seen some Baker episodes and remember his regeneration into Davidson (my classic doctor) I never saw any of the first three's episodes or enough of a full story arc, back when they had multi parters instead of everything resolved in 45 minutes save for the over season arc of now.

I think the ones I saw that were pre Davidson were all to do with the Dalek's, when I see clips I vaguely recollect seeing the episodes, but I had never seen an ice warrior till this year, or I don't recall them from the Davidson run if they were in it.

Cybermen had to cyber up their organic bodies due to radiation or something, and most times the doctor encountered them their enhanced bodies were explained as further evolution of the species, a brain is all they ever needed, the meat was just getting in the way.

The first appearance of the cybermen in Tennants reign work as they are not an alien race fighting for survival via technology, but an human mad scientist creation, were the cyber men of classic still around or were the ones recently faced a future form of the ones designed by Lumis?

It stripped away the baggage but left them recognisable and fearsome, a semi robotic humanoid would not be as fearsome if it is meant to be the cyber men last seen before the cancelation, but reimagined, unless shown as an earlier product that would eventually upgrade to the ones we saw then or now, I couldn't hand on heart say "I buy that" if it was the be all and end all of the modern look of them.

I also do not like the new body form of the Dalek's, they have changed a lot over the years granted and are still recognisable, but the ones last seen with Winston Churchill had one of th best designs, I have the iron clad on my desk.
          I know they had to change them for actor comfort, but they just don't look as good even if you took away the skittles colour scheme, but I will admit, if I imaged searched, I would find some far worse than that without invoking rule 34 for fan art.

Comment

Watching radio dead air's live stream for the 4:30 UK time showing of WTFIWWY, just before 4am he (Nash) started talking about Agents of Shield and how one episode or two will tie into the next movie, great for continuity and building the world.

Thing is, I have no idea if this is in the UK yet or not, if it is its going to be cable or satalite not free to air, least not at first.
            So again we encounter the fan haves and have not's, he segued into doctor who and how he was torrenting then later using a proxy to access BBC iPlayer as it was not shown officially in America for some time and how we in the UK in turn were doing the same for BSG as we had 6 months difference, then he commended Auntie Beeb for airing Dr Who same day 'same time' although it was hours apart just 8 GMT 8 Eastern or something, now the special and perhaps the Christmas one too will air at exactly the same time.

Sounds great, unless you end up in a time zone where it is stupid o'clock, he thinks 2PM where lives but a wee bit earlier for those on the west coast, 2PM on a Saturday isn't too bad, but I watch a few livestreams as they have been sketchy on VOD's of late (that and I don't have a job to get up for in the morning) 4:30 for the bit that gets a blip upload (his un uploaded ones are due to hard drives failing, others just don't seem to care as much) another is 8PM UK time (I've not been saying GMT as I think we are still on BST) but I do occasionally check the world clock and the 8PM one I think is 6AM Korean/Japanese time, not an issue for me if I lived there as their VOD is consistent, but their guests end up mostly American based due to the time zones.

Comment

While I really have no idea what it is you're trying to say with most of that post...

Regarding Agents of SHIELD, you could sit there and wonder the whens and where's of when it might air.

Or you could, say, look it up on Wikipedia where it will tell you quite plainly that, "On August 22, 2013, it was confirmed that Channel 4 would air the show in the United Kingdom,[54] and it premiered on September 27, 2013."
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sounds like the standard rant over media companies delaying content for different regions for no real reason.

Now time shifting to move the content into the region's local prime time, I've got no issue with. That's basically what's happening with the Who Christmas Story and 50th Anniversary specials.

But having a region (especially a region that speaks the same language as the source region) wait 1 week, 1 month, SIX MONTHS for the content is just idiotic in this day and age; it's no wonder people pirate.

The fan base for a lot of these shows is global, and they want to be able to talk about it with their friends who are around the world usually. But when a show is released in the States, but Canadians have to wait a week, Brits have to wait a month and Australians have to wait 6 months, it breaks up the fan base and drives them to piracy; something the media companies are refusing to see and acknowledge.

Comment

It was mostly typed up at 4am waiting for the live bit of WTFIWWY, I re read it after hitting send and thought, yeah that's gonna need some work after some sleep and as my body clock deemed half 2 as a good time to wake up, now just isn't that time.

I am all for globalisation of media as I grew up in the era of 6 months later for a movie (a year if it was seasonal) and although TV was not an issue then, it is now due to the vast ways of watching online, proxy's to fool iPlayer into thinking your New York apartment is in the UK or vise versa for Hulu.

Movies have come down in the gap, I did originally intend to find the other similar post about this that I had posted about getting hold of NTSC converted to PAL tapes of home rentals a week before the movie hit the screens here, found this one first as it was mostly relevant.

But it's not something I've seen affecting America as much (outside of localisation of Anime) I can only name Dr Who and Downton Abbey as two imports that are of interest, Who has been 'synced' to address this, I am not sure about Abbey.

I have not had a TV in over a decade and just assumed SKY would out bid for Shield just like they did with everything back in the day, hell one bidding war for football not only forced the winning bidder (ON Digital, I recall they were pressured into winning the bid from SKY) into administration but also a lot of the smaller clubs that were reliant on the broadcast income, all because SKY were used to buying everything with their deeper pockets, the BBC has a bidding cap and this would keep football on terrestrial TV, albeit on digital TV, then broadcast on ITV a station that used to be the local station which also shared prime time shows with the rest of the nation, now they are owned by either Granada or Carlton, both had to step up and save On Digital or it would royally screw up the governments plans to turn off analogue broadcasts.
                  All this is just from memory, I should have pre read up on it but I started typing a quick dig at sky and ended up ranting sorry.

On the whole I don't mind same day different hour, both 8pm but mine is earlier than yours, or a day later coming the other way round, its a bit easier to avoid stuff unless you have watch and tween people in your feed, for it to work as well coming from America to the rest of the world, the broadcasters would have to look at their review terms for buying in new shows, the old "this show is a hit in America lets buy the rights" hasn't worked in ages, its a hit over there but torrented over here so the broadcasters get skewed figures and are less keen to renew, or will do so for a lot less money, money that might fund the show.

I think before the first season is made broadcasters should make joint ventures, you see it a few times already, but if channel 9 in Australia is in on the ground floor for a fox show along with Granada and 'name of domestic tv station for country y' then they get the show same time it negates the whole palaver.
                  Most of the reasons Hulu is American only is that they don't own the broadcast rights for 90% of the other countries that may want to watch online, they sold that right to the bbc or someone else in the UK, yet they also have zero presence over seas most of the time too, we did have an ABC channel on freeview once, probably still do, but it is not the same ABC, it was just a 5 hour block of the same shows daily.

TV and the internet need to find some common ground to co exist or people will always look towards American TiVo owners to supplement their viewing habits.
                  Last edited by Ginger Tea; 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                    I think there are more American's embracing old who per year than in the UK, maybe on UK Gold (if it still exists) there is a rerun of some Baker episode, but I honestly don't know the last time the BBC showed an episode.

I think the ones I saw that were pre Davidson were all to do with the Dalek's, when I see clips I vaguely recollect seeing the episodes, but I had never seen an ice warrior till this year, or I don't recall them from the Davidson run if they were in it.

Cybermen had to cyber up their organic bodies due to radiation or something, and most times the doctor encountered them their enhanced bodies were explained as further evolution of the species, a brain is all they ever needed, the meat was just getting in the way.

The first appearance of the cybermen in Tennants reign work as they are not an alien race fighting for survival via technology, but a human mad scientist creation, were the cyber men of classic still around or were the ones recently faced a future form of the ones designed by Lumis.
                    Hi there. One of those Americans thats definitely a fan of classic Who. Over here in Maryland our PBS had been playing old episodes untill around 2004. Actually remember when daleks first climed stairs. Gave me nightmares for a month.

If your looking for old episodes with ice warriors try The Ice Warriors. This one has Patrick Troutin(sp). If you like Matt Smiths portrayal you'll probably like him since Smith based portions of his off of Patrick. My personal favorite is The monstor of Pelidon.

The cybermem in the original just came with the normal alians from another world plot that looked human. They wanted to live longer so they just kept changing out parts untill they lost there humanity and became machines with brains. I do like the updated look to them in the new series, but wish they had kept gold as a way to defeat them.

Comment

Working...
                    X