Star Trek- there be spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
    TOS!Kirk had a father he looked up to and admired. Reboot!Kirk had a stepdad who he thought so little of that at 9 he stole his antique car and deliberately drove it off a cliff.
    Awesome, wasn't it?

They're not the same person - just have the same name.
    Enough similarities, though, and by the end of the second movie he's been moulded by circumstances more towards the Kirk of the old series. It's a far younger Kirk we're dealing with. No need for a bad wig yet.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

TOS!Kirk had a father he looked up to and admired. Reboot!Kirk had a stepdad who he thought so little of that at 9 he stole his antique car and deliberately drove it off a cliff.
      All right... this is off topic and all, but it seems like as good a place to ask as any. Why do people write that sort of thing with an exclamation point between the words? Why that specific symbol, out of all the possibilities including a simple space? (Please note that "because that's the way it's done" isn't really an answer at all.)
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        All right... this is off topic and all, but it seems like as good a place to ask as any. Why do people write that sort of thing with an exclamation point between the words? Why that specific symbol, out of all the possibilities including a simple space? (Please note that "because that's the way it's done" isn't really an answer at all.)
        Because it's the way it's done :P

It developed from fanfic, I believe (it's where I see it the most so...). It denotes major differences or themes on the character. So if you're writing a dark fic, you might write Dark!Harry as a warning to your audience. Or if you're being silly, you might write Fluffy!Harry instead.

Can't tell you when it started (cause it wasn't on FFN back when I first joined that site) but it has really become a thing in the past decade or so.
        I has a blog!

Comment

It's possibly also the adapted use of the exclamation mark for this purpose. Seeing that what I would generally use for something like sorting files is /, and that has a different meaning in fanfic all together. It's a symbol that's as tall as any letter and so doesn't leave any weird spaces like , ; . or ' would, and/or would not be misinterpreted as a name.

Comment

Working...
          X