Microsoft ends MS Points program, Internet throws a tantrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft ends MS Points program, Internet throws a tantrum

At E3 on Monday, as part of Microsoft's panel with regards to the new Xbox One, the announcement was made that Microsoft Points would be ending soon. The exact end date is not known, but it is most likely in November, coinciding with the release of the One. Further details were released later, detailing how the shutdown was going to proceed - when the change-over from Microsoft Points occurs to the new system, which is a straight cash system (all items will be priced in real money currency, account balances will be in real currency figures), all outstanding Points balances will be converted into an account balance on the new system, and all money transitioned in this way will expire one year later.

As the internet, as a whole, has a tendency to read things in the worst possible tone and overreact, the reaction was predictable and immediate - accusations of theft, fraud, and worse on unmoderated and lightly-moderated sites everywhere. This is, of course, hyperbole and overreaction.

Microsoft is doing what it's legally required to do in order to close out their Points program and balance the books on it once and for all. Because a significant portion of the Points program (and an even larger proportion of the unspent balances) were gained from bonuses, freebies, and other promotions, Microsoft is not required to cash out the outstanding balances directly.

Thanks to laws that go back decades, dealing with Blue Chip Stamps and other redemption programs, Microsoft can issue gift certificates (read: a balance in the new system) with expiration dates for the outstanding balance. Without expiring the balances, there could (and would) be accounts with points left on them - all those people with small balances that they can't really use on anything worthwhile, people who died, people who burned out on gaming and went "cold turkey" - there's no way that all of the outstanding points would ever be used. So they are allowed to write those off after giving customers a reasonable amount of time to spend their unused balances.

But the madding horde on the Internet can't stop raving long enough to listen to that... =>_<=

I haven't read all of the rants about this yet. In fact, this is actually the first I've heard about it. What I'm curious about is how much money they're going to credit for the points you have.

As it stands, their purchase price is about $0.0125US a point, or 80 points per $1US. Are they going to stick with this valuation or are they going to alter it to make money in the process and/or encourage you to spend them before hand?

Decreasing the price per point to a flat $0.01 would cause the 1380 points I currently have to drop from $17.25 to $13.80.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
      I haven't read all of the rants about this yet. In fact, this is actually the first I've heard about it. What I'm curious about is how much money they're going to credit for the points you have.

As it stands, their purchase price is about $0.0125US a point, or 80 points per $1US. Are they going to stick with this valuation or are they going to alter it to make money in the process and/or encourage you to spend them before hand?

Decreasing the price per point to a flat $0.01 would cause the 1380 points I currently have to drop from $17.25 to $13.80.
      It's my understanding that they're crediting at the purchase value - $5 per 400 points ($0.0125 per point, as you put it). But I don't have a source for that.

Edit: I'm not sure that they could do anything OTHER than issuing at the same valuation that they sold at - again, laws dating back from the Blue Chip Stamps era.
      Last edited by Nekojin; 06-14-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

My store has a bunch of MS Points cards, I'm wondering if I should pull them and leave a heads-up to the manager as to why I did so.
        "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
          My store has a bunch of MS Points cards, I'm wondering if I should pull them and leave a heads-up to the manager as to why I did so.
          Probably not. The transition isn't going to start for another 6 months, and that's plenty of time for them to change their mind. You'd have egg on your face if that happened (not that I think it's likely, but it's possible).

Comment

On further checking, we only get the points cards shipped around the holidays so there are none on the racks now. I did let him know, just in case Corp ships us some after the program is officially ended (they've sent us unusable cards before).
            "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

If we get money equal to the amount of the points value, then I actually wouldn't mind this. I've bought games on special for uneven amounts of points, so I'm stuck with a point ballance I can't get rid of. At least converting this to dollars will make those points usable again.

Comment

Working...
              X