Man of Steel Casting (Spoliers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man of Steel Casting (Spoliers)

So we get four female characters, Lara, Lois, Martha, and Faora. All of them are great, treated with respect and get great moments.

I think the two that really shine are Lois and Faora, these two are front and center for a good deal of the film, and not once is it ever brought up that either is female, they are treated as equals. Especially with Faora she is an enemy soldier and she is fought against as one, supes goes charging in and doesn't hesitate for a second to fight her.

Also Perri White is now black and we get a genderswapped jimmy olsen and a prominent black general.

I like this a lot. Marvel may have put together the avengers before the justice league but DC is ahead of the all white sausage fest in one way at least.

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
    Also Perri White is now black and we get a genderswapped jimmy olsen and a prominent black general.
    *Perry

It's not a genderswapped Jimmy Olsen. The character played by Rebecca Buller is "Jenny Jurwich." Jimmy Olsen is not featured in the movie in any way. At least none that I or others have been able to catch on to yet. There are plenty of other easter eggs, like LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises logos, as well as references like "Guardian," but no Jimmy.

I like this a lot. Marvel may have put together the avengers before the justice league but DC is ahead of the all white sausage fest in one way at least.
    Last I checked, Samuel L. Jackson, aka Nick Fury, was black as was one of the Howling Commandos in Captain America. The Cap sequel "The Winter Soldier" is going to feature Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson, aka The Falcon.

Oh yeah. Black Widow and Maria Hill don't have sausages. At least, I hope not. Add in Pepper and you have a good group of strong female roles.

If DC does a JLA movie, they're going to be all white and all male, with the exception of Wonder Woman. They will take Hal Jordan as Green Lantern before they take John Stewart. He's simply more well known.

Man of Steel featured Dr. Emil Hamilton, the founder of S.T.A.R. Labs, but I highly doubt the initial JLA movie will cast someone for the role of Victor Stone aka Cyborg.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
      If DC does a JLA movie, they're going to be all white and all male, with the exception of Wonder Woman. They will take Hal Jordan as Green Lantern before they take John Stewart. He's simply more well known.
      Yes and no. They could take John Stewart because he was featured in the Justice League cartoons (and Kyle Rayner showed up briefly in there as well). They're more likely to take John or Kyle for the JLA movie than Hal (or even Guy Gardner) just for racial diversity.

Man of Steel featured Dr. Emil Hamilton, the founder of S.T.A.R. Labs, but I highly doubt the initial JLA movie will cast someone for the role of Victor Stone aka Cyborg.
      On the contrary, since the Flashpoint reboot, DC has been pushing Cyborg as one of the main-stream, heavy-hitter JLA members, deliberately standing him shoulder-to-shoulder with the other legends, as a counter to repeated accusations that they're subliminally racist. The accusation that there are no major black/asian/hispanic characters in DC carries some weight, as the vast majority of the non-caucasian characters are secondary characters in supporting roles, not major characters in their own right. The closest thing they've had to a stand-alone character that wasn't caucasian is Static, and he's viewed as too young (and/or not powerful enough) to be Justice League material.

As the 2015 Justice League movie hasn't even been cast yet, I will happily stand up a $1 gentleman's bet that Cyborg will be featured prominently. I'll offer an additional $5 rider that if he is a character in the movie, he (and he alone) will save the day at some point in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
        As the 2015 Justice League movie hasn't even been cast yet, I will happily stand up a $1 gentleman's bet that Cyborg will be featured prominently. I'll offer an additional $5 rider that if he is a character in the movie, he (and he alone) will save the day at some point in the movie.
        I'll take the bet and the rider simply because he's too small of a character, even with the reboot, to be a priority.

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are a given. With the popularity of Arrow on CW, I think we'll see Green Arrow as the 4th. The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is we'll see any member of the Lantern Corps in the first movie. Too much CGI and "magic" for the realistic approach the current run has taken. Then again, Major Carrie (Carol?) Ferris is in MoS. We could see a Hal Jordan role after all, even if just a cameo.

This is all assuming it's within the current Nolan-verse. If some other company runs with it, it could be just about anything. God forbid Bryan Singer gets involved again.

Comment

Don't underestimate the teen titans crowd, that cartoon came back. I do know Samuel L Jackson is in the team movie with cameos in the others but I don't know why but it felt like it stood out to me more here. Maybe because I'm more a dc fan than a marvel fan in general would be part of it.

Comment

If Martian Manhunter were involved, and he might be, I think he'd have a black human form and actor, I seem to recall having seen "John Jones" be black in something.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

*Perry

It's not a genderswapped Jimmy Olsen. The character played by Rebecca Buller is "Jenny Jurwich."
              She's Jimmy Olsen for all intensive purposes. They can modify the name and gender but the character archetype is the same.

I disagree. My guess is DC will do what Marvel did and use the original JL line up: Superman, Batman, the Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordon), Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman.

It's possible they might swap out Hal for John; the argument that younger fans will be familiar with John works, but don't forget they've also seen the Green Lantern movie and the TV series featuring Hal. Yes, the movie sucked; so did the first Hulk movie and he still made it into the Avengers. So my bet is they stick with Hal. If they want an African American, they'll make Martian Manhunter black--since he's green in his normal form, it'll fly.

I liked many of the female roles in Man of Steel, but Lois left me very flat. She was boring, quite frankly; none of Lois's bite and fire showed in this movie. Perry was also bland, and all I could think of was, "Damn, Morpheus. You porked out."

I loved Cavill as Superman; he was awesome. I hope he'll be back for a round two. But the plot sucked, and I want the producers to deal with the fact that the Big Boy Scout killed an adversary.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                She's Jimmy Olsen for all intensive purposes. They can modify the name and gender but the character archetype is the same.
                I'm sorry, I have to be pedantic for a second... The phrase is "for all intents and purposes".

Back to the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                  I'm sorry, I have to be pedantic for a second... The phrase is "for all intents and purposes".

Back to the discussion.
                  actually no, when the shit hits the fan and things get intense she's jimmy, otherwise she's not.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                    Fair enough!

I really do know better
                    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

With how popular Hawkeye is from the Avenger movies, and the success of the Green Arrow series, GA in the JLA movie is a given.

Supes, WW, Bats are a given as well. So that's 4 of the Big 7, leaving 3 slots.

Flash and Green Lantern are pretty much a given. Which Flash is irrelevant as far as race/gender are concerned, but they might really shake things up there. I could see Jon Stewart as GL, maybe with a Hal in the background for a handover scene or something.

That leaves the final slot for either Martian Manhunter or Cyborg. Both have potential, depending on how big the threat is. And both may be black. In Smallville, John Jones was black, and Cyborg was black from the beginning. I could see Cyborg being in there as the Audience character; the newbie the audience can connect with among the giants.

(And Avengers didn't have 'The original crew' of any Avenger group. Hawkeye and Capt were both in the second Avengers team and Blackwidow didn't join a team until long after the Avengers were well established. ) Marvel knew they had their Big 4 settled more or less (Hulk, Capt, Iron Man and Thor) thanks to the first wave of movies, so Hawkeye and Blackwidow were brought in as the SHIELD side of the group, the leashes on the bricks.

Comment

In Smallville, John Jones was black
                        John Jonzz could technically appear as every race on the planet, he's a shape-shifter after all. He's not naturally black, white, brown, whatever. he's green, he's not even human. That is his natural color.

Calling super minor Jenny a gender swapped Jimmy is still a bit of a stretch. I'm not even sure that she had any lines till the last 30mins. She doesn't seem to be anything other than random intern. Balding character actor has more lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                          If you see her as Jimmy, it's because you want her to be Jimmy.

You can argue that in the case of continuity, Jimmy Olsen began working at the Daily Planet after Clark did so he'll appear sometime in the movies to come.

I disagree. My guess is DC will do what Marvel did and use the original JL line up: Superman, Batman, the Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordon), Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman.
                          I'd like to see Aquaman, but they'd have to write a specific storyline that involved bringing Atlantis into it.

Martian Manhunter would have to be his own movie or cameo in another. Take the Smallville angle and have him "check up" on Kal-El as a favor to his father?The other possibility would be to introduce him in the JLA movie as a plot point of the movie. Hard to say how they could make it work as he never really paired up with anyone outside of the JLA stories.

It's possible they might swap out Hal for John; the argument that younger fans will be familiar with John works, but don't forget they've also seen the Green Lantern movie and the TV series featuring Hal. Yes, the movie sucked; so did the first Hulk movie and he still made it into the Avengers. So my bet is they stick with Hal. If they want an African American, they'll make Martian Manhunter black--since he's green in his normal form, it'll fly.

I liked many of the female roles in Man of Steel, but Lois left me very flat. She was boring, quite frankly; none of Lois's bite and fire showed in this movie. Perry was also bland, and all I could think of was, "Damn, Morpheus. You porked out."

I loved Cavill as Superman; he was awesome. I hope he'll be back for a round two. But the plot sucked, and I want the producers to deal with the fact that the Big Boy Scout killed an adversary.
                          Superman has killed people in the various Universes throughout his existence. There's no reason he couldn't do it in this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X