No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Maybe that wasn't the best way...I saw the letter, I saw that it looked reasonable to me and I signed it, that's all. I sign lots of letters."

Sen. John McCain, on letter sent by 47 GOP senators to Iran's leaders to undermine negotiations

"I signed it without understanding it" yup, typical politician.

Comment

• I'd rather eat pie than recite pi.
      Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• "Moreover we have to stand up to Iran’s attempts to drive for regional dominance. They already control Tehran ..."

Sen. Tom Cotton

In other news, the United States controls Washington, DC, Canada controls Ottawa, ON, and Australia controls Canberra, ACT.
        Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
          "Maybe that wasn't the best way...I saw the letter, I saw that it looked reasonable to me and I signed it, that's all. I sign lots of letters."
          —

Sen. John McCain, on letter sent by 47 GOP senators to Iran's leaders to undermine negotiations

"I signed it without understanding it" yup, typical politician.
          "I did that fucking stupid thing, but in my defense, I didn't know I was doing it. This is why I am not actually bad at Senating."
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

• "Get off my shoulders. There's work to be done!"
            —

104-year-old Selma marcher Amelia Robinson, when told by younger people that they stand on her shoulders

Oh I like her. 104 and still kicking ass.

Comment

• To show that Canadian politicians can step in it as well, we've had 2 'great' examples.

Originally posted by Larry Miller
              "Frankly, if you're not willing to show your face in a ceremony that you're joining the best country in the world, then frankly, if you don't like that or don't want to do that, stay the hell where you came from, and I think most Canadians feel the same."
              Larry Miller, Conservative Member of Parliament.

and this little gem:

Originally posted by John Williamson
              I'm going to put this in terms of colours, but it's not meant to be about race. It makes no sense to pay whities to stay home while we bring in brown people to work in these jobs.
              John Williamson, Conservative Member of Parliament.

Both MP's have 'apologised' for their comments after they blew up in their faces of course.

Comment

• On a Real Time With Bill Maher panel:

Bill Nye: "Have you heard this expression 'millennial anger'?...where the millennials are like, 'You guys have been in charge, you heard about climate change in 1988 -- James Hansen testified in front of Congress -- and you haven't done s*** about it. What's wrong with you people?'"

Fran Leibowitz: "I'd say, 'Stop taking pictures of your food, and you do something about it!'"

Both of them have a point, it is a combination of public and private efforts to deal with this and neither has really been doing anything but point at the other and say "it's YOUR fault!"

Comment

• "I am the only one who can make America great again."
                  —

Reality TV star Donald Trump, announcing his presidential exploratory committee

Well why don't we look at his business record and... oh dear.

Here we go again...

Comment

• Donald Trump? The Donald Trump who has run every business his daddy gave him into the ground? The Donald Trump whose only successful venture has been reality TV? He's everything that's wrong with America. >_>
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Which would be why I put my "Oh dear" remark when I brought up his business track record.

"Another message in June 2011 compared dogs to African Americans, suggesting the animals needed 'welfare' because they are 'mixed in color, unemployed, lazy, can't speak English and have no frigging clue who their Daddies are.'"
                      —

CNN reporter quoting from DOJ report on Ferguson police department

So now can those saying the Ferguson Police department isn't filled with racists please eat a big bowl of "shut the fuck up?"

Comment

• "The whole world is on fire."
                        -- Sen. Ted Cruz, during a stump speech in New Hampshire

"The world is on fire?"
                        -- Three-year-old Julie Trant, sitting on her mother's lap

"The world is on fire, yes. Your world is on fire."
                        -- Cruz

So now Cruz is throwing away all pretensions and is trying the "victory through fear" approach to get elected. Never mind the fact that he can't be President anyways and his party's Foreign relations platform boils down to "nuke the dissenters."

Comment

• The idea of Ted Cruz being eligible for the presidency is a matter that has not yet been decided, but constitutional precedence suggests that he would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_std View Post
                            The idea of Ted Cruz being eligible for the presidency is a matter that has not yet been decided, but constitutional precedence suggests that he would be.
                            um, nope. Born overseas (canada) to only one citizen parent. When he was born, you needed either ftaher to be a US citizen, BOTH to be a US citizen, and/or to be born in the US. Oh, he IS a citizen, but only because when ( presumably) his mother became naturalized in the US, he would have been automatically naturalized, but he is NOT eligible for President.

Comment

• Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                              [/snip] but he is NOT eligible for President.
                              I'm afraid that there are multiple, easy-to-find sources that say you're wrong.

Relevant bit in case you don't click my links...

Helpfully, the Congressional Research Service gathered all of the information relevant to Cruz's case a few years ago, at the height (nadir?) of Obama birtherism. In short, the Constitution says that the president must be a natural-born citizen. "The weight of scholarly legal and historical opinion appears to support the notion that 'natural born Citizen' means one who is entitled under the Constitution or laws of the United States to U.S. citizenship 'at birth' or 'by birth,' including any child born 'in' the United States, the children of United States citizens born abroad, and those born abroad of one citizen parents who has met U.S. residency requirements," the CRS's Jack Maskell wrote. So in short: Cruz is a citizen; Cruz is not naturalized; therefore Cruz is a natural-born citizen, and in any case his mother is a citizen.

Comment

• "I am not a feminist."
                                -- Katy Perry

"I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a feminist."
                                -- Carrie Underwood

"I have never really thought of myself as a feminist."
                                -- Demi Moore

"No."
                                -- Bjork, when asked if she was a feminist

"I was never the feminist girl."
                                -- Kaley Cuoco

"I wouldn't say feminist."
                                -- Kelly Clarkson

Feminist: (noun) A person who believes in social, political and economic equality of the sexes.

Rather than ignite a flame war I'm just going to say that this could be a slam on the women or the definition of feminism. It's open to interpretation.

Comment

Working...
                                X