No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We welcome war with the U.S. as we do believe that it will be the scene for our success to display the real potentials of our power. We have prepared ourselves for the most dangerous scenarios and this is no big deal."

Iran Brigadier General Hossein Salami

What was that which Murphy said? "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy"?

And he was an optimist to boot.

Comment

• He must've had the same public speaking teacher as Baghdad Bob.

Comment

• "Carbon dating, all these things, really doesn't mean anything to a God who has the ability to create anything at any point in time."

GOP presidential candidate Ben Carson, discussing his rejection of evolution theory

Scotty, one to beam up. There's no sign of intelligent life down here.

Comment

• Or, you know, God could have started with animals and worked up to man. It never says just HOW LONG the days are in Genesis. I can't imagine man was as easy to make as an animals.

/rant

Even I know better than to argue with carbon dating.

Comment

• Fox News' Megyn Kelly:
            "Knowing what we now know, would you have authorized the invasion [of Iraq]?"

Jeb Bush:
            "I would have."

And he's supposed to be the smart one.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
              Fox News' Megyn Kelly:
              "Knowing what we now know, would you have authorized the invasion [of Iraq]?"

Jeb Bush:
              "I would have."

And he's supposed to be the smart one.
              For what it's worth, that was pretty clear even in his answer, that he didn't totally understand the question.
              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

• "It is important that Texans know their safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed upon."

Gov. Greg Abbott, on deploying the Texas State Guard during Jade Helm

Translation: I really want them to screw up so I can blame the Civil War that erupts on Obama.

Comment

• Heck, he's probably trying to figure out how to blame the Nepal earthquake on Obama.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                    Heck, he's probably trying to figure out how to blame the Nepal earthquake on Obama.
                    Because of god's wrath for Obama repealing DOMA and supporting the gays. Or because he's secretly a Muslim, or because he doesn't support Israel enough, or...

As for why it hit Nepal instead of America, any questions regarding god's poor aim are to be referred to the "mysterious ways" department.
                    "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                    TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

• "The simple fact is that mistakes were made. As they always are in life."

Jeb Bush, on the invasion of Iraq

Ahh the joys of politics. In what other profession do you get to do a multi-billion war of aggression that costs thousands of lives and destabilizes an entire region of the world then go "oops!"?

Comment

• An area that will likely NEVER be peaceful, to boot

Comment

• it's somewhat debatable if it destabilized the area- the middle east has always been something of a powderkeg, so SOMETHING would probably have set things off- but it's no real excuse for going off half-cocked.

the biggest issue, of course, is the naive belief that when they overthrew Saddam, a western-style democracy would be the only possible result.

Comment

• "I don't think I've ever taken as many selfies as I did in Thailand. It's one of the prettiest places I've ever traveled to!"

Kim Kardashian in Selfish

I'm surprised she actually bothered to pay attention to her surroundings instead of herself for a change.

Comment

• Whatever else, it certainly destabilized *Iraq,* a central part of the region which was helping separate others.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "Nobody lives life backwards. At the time, reasonable people could disagree over whether to go to war in Iraq. It's really a silly hypothetical, and the people who ask it should know better. You don't get to relive history that way."
                                -- Eliot Cohen, former top aide to Condoleezza Rice and founding member of the Project For A New American Century, on asking presidential candidates if they would have invaded

"It was not a mistake."
                                -- Sen. Marco Rubio on Iraq invasion

"It was worse than a mistake, it was a crime."
                                -- Paul Krugman on Iraq invasion

So where's the "reasonable people" mentioned?

Comment

Working...
                                X