No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I wish that someone told me that when I was in high school that I could have felt like a woman when it came time to take showers in PE. I'm pretty sure that I would have found my feminine side and said, 'Coach, I think I'd rather shower with the girls today.'"

former Gov. Mike Huckabee on transgender people and public restrooms

Considering that transgender issues are neurological, he'd have better odds of being sent to a therapist first where's he'd be declared a pervert.

Comment

• not to mention that it isn't as simple as "I'd rather shower with the girls"- as I understand it, people that are transgender actually consider themselves to be a different gender- which is rather different.

Comment

• Unisex restrooms can't come soon enough. This whole separation thing is just another artifact of Puritanical shame.
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
          "I'm not inferring... that this accident happened because [Amtrak engineer Brandon Bostian] was gay, but I do think it's an interesting part of the story... When people are going through some confusion that has to do with the very core of who they are... I think it's something to be discussed and I think it's a factor, and I'm doubting you'll hear it anywhere else."

Sandy Rios, radio host and American Family Association director

I wonder why you won't hear about this anywhere else? Oh, yeah. It's because no one else, even the most homophobic person alive, could suspect the two things are even slightly related.

I love how people who are gay are 'confused', like maybe they're gay, or maybe not. Makes me wonder how often the speaker(s) have been confused about the amount of heterosexual they are

Comment

• "Leave science to the scientists."

Rick Santorum, on the Pope's statements about climate change. Pope Francis holds a master's degree in chemistry.

I'm of two minds on this. On the first, yes Santorum really should heed his own advice as well as do proper research before opening his mouth. Well, that might be asking a bit much of a politician.

On the other hand, climatology and atmospheric sciences are more in the physics field than chemistry so while Francis is CERTAINLY more qualified than Santorum, I'm not going to identify the Pope as an expert.

Comment

• a scientist, pretty much regardless is discipline, would hopefully at least be able to recognize that a paper followed the scientific method. That, and at the Masters Degree level, the lines between Physics, chemistry and biology tend to become increasingly blurred. Pope Francis can't call himself an expert on climatology- however, he CAN say that the research doesn't have any obvious flaws. ( there's also the fact that climate change is largely settled in the actual scientific community- it's far more a political issue about what to do.)

Comment

"Leave science to the scientists."

Rick Santorum, on the Pope's statements about climate change. Pope Francis holds a master's degree in chemistry.
                Bit of advice for the frothy mix of feces and lube: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Of course, since that's a quote from the Bible, the Pope would definitely be more qualified than any candidate for President to make such a comment.

Comment

• "It was a post on social media to bombs on target in less than 24 hours. Incredible work when you think about."

"The guys that were working down out of Hurlburt, they’re combing through social media and they see some moron standing at this command, and in some social media, open forum, bragging about the command and control capabilities for Daesh, ISIL. And these guys go: ‘We got an in.’ So they do some work, long story short, about 22 hours later through that very building, three [Joint Direct Attack Munitions] take that entire building out."

--

Air Force General Hawk Carlisle

Long story short: an ISIS member takes a selfie in front of an ISIS command post; US Air Force bombs the building 22 hours later. That was no coincidence.

BTW, Hawk Carlisle is the perfect name for an Air Force general.
                  Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• "I am who I am."

Sen. Rand Paul

And if I were him, I'd want to be someone else.

Comment

• "Slave owners were very good Christians and good people. They weren't terrible, rotten, horrible people. And that's how I see gay people."

Idaho state Rep. Paul Shepherd

You know that point where you realize you really need to stop talking? This is well past that mark.

Comment

• Well, now, the statement is ambiguous. Is he saying that gay people are terrible, rotten, horrible people, or are they very good Christians and good people?

*me digs up some info on Paul Shephard*

Ah, okay. It's most definitely the former of the two. Carry on.

Comment

"I am who I am."

Sen. Rand Paul

And if I were him, I'd want to be someone else.
                          Rand Paul, Popeye, and God.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• 'Face the Nation' host John Dickerson:
                            "[Hillary Clinton] says it's fear-mongering, this idea that there's a lot of election fraud going on."

Gov. Chris Christie:
                            "Well, she's never been to New Jersey, I guess."

Or Florida, or Arizona or-- Oh wait, you only want to bring up the rare incidents of voting abuse, not the systemic shutdown of voting rights that did FAR more damage.

Comment

• "Humanity has been around for at least some 5,000 years or so, and I doubt that the basic challenges as confronted are any worse now, or alas even much different, from what they ever were."

SC Justice Antonin Scalia, in a graduation speech at his granddaughter's high school

Well at least the graduating class can think "If this idiot can become a Supreme Court Justice, then I can do anything!"

Comment

• He's not wrong. The only difference is that now you can add 'on the Internet' at the end.

The basic struggles are the same ones as they always have been; it's only the setting and the details that change. Only most first worlders start out much higher on the Heirarchy pyramid than their forebears.

That said, as a soundbite, this is pretty likely to be roundly mocked.
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X