Alright who is in the JLA movie, debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright who is in the JLA movie, debate

So here's how this is going to be, who do you think DC will choose to be in the Justice League movie and why. Now who you want to be on the team but the most likely members and your justification for them.

Superman is pretty obvious at this point.
    Batman will probably be in it but I don't think we're seeing christian bale batman (Who I like) and honestly I really like Joseph Gordon Levitt but I don't think he's a fit for batman.

We are getting a green lantern he's got enough pop culture presence but I think John Stewart for two reasons first off 1. token black guy 2. justice league cartoon. if cyborg gets cast in this (current jl member and teen titans series and smallville) then I could see hal jordan.

I'm not sure if we'll see Martian Manhunter or not, I don't know how well known he is.

Wonder Woman, they need a woman on the team and she's got tons of popculture presence I'd say she's a lock at this point.

Flash same thing and I'd bet on Barry Allen, he's been brought back and he's probably the most famous flash, besides then you get the heroic death angle and can bring in wally without losing a team slot.

Aquaman might not make it, while he's famous a lot of people mock him and think he's useless (he's not, he's pretty badass). If they bring him in I think it'd be neat to see the beard and harpoon hand version.

unless they start spitting out movies quickly and try to do the marvel thing where each hero gets a movie I think we're going to get the more well known characters because other wise half of the movie will be origin stories. The other option is they just bring the characters on screen with no origins.

Supes, Bats, and Wonder Woman are all mostly a given.

Superman, particularly since the new movie is just out. Plus, they need his boyscout personality to counter Bats.

Batman, because he's the god damned Batman. And they need his dark paranoia to counter Supes.

Wonder Woman because they need a female team member, and she's the third member of Trinity. Plus, she's can be the one to give otusider's commentary on how crazy humanity is.

Flash is highly likely. He tends to be a fairly stable member of the crew. Plus, his effects aren't too terribly taxing. He's also a snarker, and you have to have somebody for the comic commentary.

Green Lantern is in that same level of likelihood. No idea which one, however. They could go with Guy so they have the jerkass element. Or they could go with John for the color element.

With how well Arrow is doing, we'll likely see Green Arrow in the mix, especially with how well done and well received Hawkeye was in Avangers. Plus, Ollie tends towards comic commentary and snark as well. Although, there is a chance they'll avoid him just because of the comparison to Hawkeye, which would be a shame.

Speaking of color, there's a huge push to get Cyborg in anything DC. However that said, I really don't think he belongs in the first movie.

Martian Manhunter is pretty unlikely for the first movie, too, but I expect him to be in for the second. He's well known enough in the fanbase to earn a spot, but tends to be secondary. Though they could throw him in near the end just to build anticipation for the next movie.

DC has 14 items listed as "in development" that are behind the IMDb Pro paywall, with a bunch of games and animated features on tap for this year and Justice League slated for a 2015 release. Another article from early last year noted that nothing they had in development past Man of Steel even had a director, so it's likely we won't be seeing much in the next year or two.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The problem with JLA is, well, DC has some pretty stupid superheroes. Not that Marvel doesn't too, but Marvel has grown a much better handle on which its best are and how to market them.

DC bounces back and forth between Superman and Batman movie wise, and its always a hit or miss. But I don't think they have enough strong characters to bring JLA to the big screen like the Avengers. The only compelling character on the entire team is Batman, and Batman's been done to death.

Avengers was so strong because each character had at least one movie of character development and origin prior to the ensemble movie. But JLA has all of two characters that are strong enough to hold down their own movie, and even then its historically been a 50/50 chance ( Bat Credit Card ). Every other character they've tried to bring to the big screen has been a failure ( Green Lantern, Catwoman, Supergirl, Steel, Jonah Hex, etc ).

DC isn't ballsy enough to give Wonder Woman her own movie and even if they do, there's no way they won't fuck it up and turn her into a pair of tits in a corset like they did with that TV series pilot a year or so ago. Instead of using her newer revised costume that's actually respectable.

The Flash? Who cares. Aquaman? Seriously....who cares? Martian Manhunter...who even knows? Captain Marvel? Oh god. Black Canary? Avengers did it. Hawkman/Hawkgirl? Haha, no. Cyborg? Meh. Firestorm? Not happening. Red Tornado? Yeaaah no.

There aren't enough strong characters. Most of them could not carry a movie by themselves, meaning the first introduction to them for the audience will be JLA. Which means their origin stories will have to be a 5-10 minute flashback blurb and they'll take a backseat to Superman and Batman. Which means its doubtful they'll be cast with high quality actors.

Never mind how immensely convoluted the continuity is for DC. >.>

Comment

Just curious if you're a DC person grave. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Marvel or DC, but I do follow them both. I'm familiar with the characters.

In essence, a Superhero is just a walking premise.

I think someone was talking about you can't do dark and gritty with everything and then brought up Green Lanterns and called them cops. To which my brain immediately went, "Hey wait, cops are traditionally some of the most grey characters out there?" I mean The Wire, The Shield... that has antihero and superpowers written all over it. If the writers can't pull it off, well that's the writers because the material is there in the premise.

Really what I don't think DC has is a Iron Man esque snarker, but that has traditionally always been something Marvel has been more prone to do with characters like Spidey and Iron Man. Supes has Lois for the wit. Batman generally has his rogues gallery for his.

That said, unless you try to mirror the comics, that's not a problem. Why can't the Flash be a snarker that doesn't play nicely with others? Why can't Hal Jordan have a problem with the JLA as a concept because he's seen corruption in the Corps? Why not reinvent Wonder Woman's backstory so she actually works since the most frequent complaint about her is her comic mythos doesn't lend itself to 2013 stories? In the end, the image recognition is there for Supes, Batman, WW, The Flash, and Green Lantern. Just reinvent the story as necessary to be fun and memorable. Everyone should have a moment, everyone should have a stake, and everyone should have something to gain.
        Last edited by D_Yeti_Esquire; 06-30-2013, 01:04 AM.

Comment

First, DC has a lot more characters that could hold their own movies, but they have no direction as far as overseeing production, so they end up with weak showings. They've done Superman and Batman to death and I understand a second Green Lantern movie is supposed to be in the works, somewhere.

Plus, not everybody in Avengers had their own movie prior to the group.

Regardless, if they do the ensemble correctly, there are easily enough characters to make a JL movie. They just have to put someone in charge of the entire movie project to oversee every DC main universe movie that gets put out or it's going to keep on with the hodge-podge quality we've been seeing out of their studio.

It's quite possible that they've figured out their problem on their own and the recent DC universe retcon is supposed to be partly in preparation for a more homogenous vision to bring to the movie franchise. It's a stupid way to go about it, but it would make a certain amount of sense from their side of things.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We are getting a green lantern he's got enough pop culture presence but I think John Stewart for two reasons first off 1. token black guy 2. justice league cartoon.
            When he's off doing Green Lantern stuff elsewhere, does the Justice League get John Oliver to fill in?
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
              Just curious if you're a DC person grave. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Marvel or DC, but I do follow them both. I'm familiar with the characters.
              I'm neither, in fact I had to double check a few to see who owned them. -.-

Really what I don't think DC has is a Iron Man esque snarker, but that has traditionally always been something Marvel has been more prone to do with characters like Spidey and Iron Man. Supes has Lois for the wit. Batman generally has his rogues gallery for his.
              Supes is a very one note character, and he's so powerful that he becomes uninteresting. When you put him on a team of people that objectively speaking, he doesn't even need the help of, it kinda makes it even worse.

That said, unless you try to mirror the comics, that's not a problem. Why can't the Flash be a snarker that doesn't play nicely with others?
              Flash is a smart ass that I've seen. He's just an awfully written smart ass. Even taking that away though, he's boring from a superhero premise. Wee, he's super fast......so....what? So is Superman. Then they stuck all sorts of ridiculous corny powers on him to try and make him cooler ( Super reading! Super protection for his clothes from friction! ). Nevermind that whole speedverse bullshit or whatever, ugh. The mystical dimension all speed heroes in DC get their power from.

Why can't Hal Jordan have a problem with the JLA as a concept because he's seen corruption in the Corps?
              Sure, why not. Though that deviates pretty badly from the movie established character who was basically a clownish rogue.

Why not reinvent Wonder Woman's backstory so she actually works since the most frequent complaint about her is her comic mythos doesn't lend itself to 2013 stories?
              Thats a harder one. Her back story is pretty ingrained.

In the end, the image recognition is there for Supes, Batman, WW, The Flash, and Green Lantern. Just reinvent the story as necessary to be fun and memorable. Everyone should have a moment, everyone should have a stake, and everyone should have something to gain.
              Thats the biggest problem a JLA movie faces though. DC doesn't know how to do that. Their biggest movie success has always been Batman, and in recent years, only due to the dark, gritty reboot tone. Which they tried to swing at Superman now too, but failed. Their attempts to make more Avengers like comic booky fair has failed miserably.

They nailed angst, but they can't figure out charm.

Originally posted by Andara
              First, DC has a lot more characters that could hold their own movies, but they have no direction as far as overseeing production, so they end up with weak showings. They've done Superman and Batman to death and I understand a second Green Lantern movie is supposed to be in the works, somewhere.
              But are those characters part of the JLA? DCs best character's are largely clustered in the Batman franchise and to a lesser extent, Superman. Once you get past those two, the household name recognition drops like a rock. Every knows Batman fights the Joker and Superman fights Lex Luthor. But past that if you're not already a devoted DC reader then this is going to be new territory. The average 10 year old can probably tell you everything about Batman, but I doubt he'd have any idea who Flash's archnemesis is.

Also, I *liked* Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern. In fact I just watched that movie two nights ago for the first time. ( They added it to Netflix >.> ). It illustrated exactly what I'm talking about. I really didn't know much about the Green Lantern before seeing the movie. I mean, I knew the whole ring thing and generally what his powers were. But that was about it.

Once the movie threw the whole story in my face though, it was corny. Which I think, ultimately, is the underlying problem DC faces. A lot of the origins, such as Wonder Woman, are deeply stuck in the era they were created in. They need a reboot onto themselves before they get near a mainstream audience. JLA is something that *needs* to use the Avengers approach and give everyone their own movie first. Everyone needs to be modernized and introduced to the main stream audience before they can hope to get a JLA movie together.

Plus, not everybody in Avengers had their own movie prior to the group.
              Yes, however, every member of the Avengers was still introduced in one movie prior to Avengers. So there was no need to retread their backgrounds come Avengers. Hawkeye was in Thor. Black Widow was in Iron Man 2. Plus, neither of them are super powered so they didn't require traditional full on superhero origin stories.

hat brings up yet another problem though. Black Widow vs Black Canary and Hawkeye vs Green Arrow. It doesn't even matter which were created first, only that Marvel beat the other two to the big screen.

Comment

I'll respectfully disagree with Superman but that's because I tend to enjoy the Donner interpretation of him. When he's restricted to fighting beings on his own level or obstacles that are ingeniously overwrought he's prone to failure as long as he has emotional stakes in the outcome. Lex is still a good foil. That's also the version that actually counterpoints Batman. Any version of angsty or pragmatic Supes essentially IS Batman with more powers. Supes can be angry, but trying to anchor him in a negative emotion just doesn't work very well.

Supes most compelling weakness always seems to depends on interpretation, but I find the one with the most emotional resonance does tend to be the Clark Kent persona whose emotions are vulnerable and wants to fit in and his tendency to view himself in a human context with an exceptionally grounded upbringing. This as also been done as a flat disguise, but I don't find that nearly as compelling. He's one note in the sense he's often written with ridiculous world ending stakes because that's the comic he's in and his human need for connection or sense of fear and compassion get left at the door. There are plenty of humans that have a somewhat inflexible morality and a well adjusted temperament. There's nothing wrong with that character unless you don't test it with your story, which frequently doesn't happen.

Essentially if you play with Clark's desire to fit in and bump it up against the reality of the responsibilities he has, humanly it can be very interesting. I don't particularly view him as invulnerable since frankly he's the one that started the whole, "kill your superhero for a year and say just kidding later" parade. I tend to look at weaknesses as a bit of a viewers construct or a modern reinterpretation. Humans were able to make Zeus a compelling character and immortal was built in to his character.

I just tend to view him as a specific style of hero, one that's not incredibly easy to write and depends a great deal on story. Batman can be written acceptably by a hack. A hack writing Superman looks like what he or she is.
                Last edited by D_Yeti_Esquire; 06-30-2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gravekeeper;140300],

DC isn't ballsy enough to give Wonder Woman her own movie and even if they do, there's no way they won't fuck it up and turn her into a pair of tits in a corset like they did with that TV series pilot a year or so ago. Instead of using her newer revised costume that's actually respectable.

/QUOTE]

The show was bad for reasons other than the costume. Lack of direction, good acting, lack ofunderstanding of the character.
                  I think the new costume was a cock up. Adding pants didn't make the costume respectable, it took away from Wonder Woman. Even Gloria Steinem (I think her feminist cred is fairly solid) had something to say about it:http://pursepundit.blogspot.com/2010...der-woman.html
                  Besides, in mythology didn't amazons go into battle naked? Even her classic costume would be overdressed!
                  A Wonder Woman movie should have kind of a Xena vibe to it. Heck, just get Lucy Lawless. I don't think she's even aged since Xena went off the air.
                  Pants doesn't equal respectable and skirts/bathing suits/shorts/dresses doesn't equal not respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Avengers was so strong because each character had at least one movie of character development and origin prior to the ensemble movie. But JLA has all of two characters that are strong enough to hold down their own movie, and even then its historically been a 50/50 chance
                    There were four core characters who got their own movies prior to the Avengers movie: the Hulk (and they had to do two to get it right), Thor, Ironman, and Captain America. Hawkeye and the Black Widow were introduced in Thor and Ironman II respectively. It would be easy enough to follow that formula for the JLA, and quite frankly they need to. Trying to introduce that many heroes at once would be a nightmare; you wouldn't get a coherent story told. Marvel's formula for this was pure genius, but it helped that 1) special effects technolgy improved to support the genre, and 2) they got some of the best writers in the field to write for the characters. Previous attempts to bring Cap to the big screen were an embarrassment, to say the least.

I could see them introducing some of the JLA characters in combined movies; for example the Flash and Green Lantern since Barry Allen and Hal Jordon were best friends (and two of the most boring characters in the DC Universe, unfortunately). Martian Manhunter would work well in a future Superman movie; in fact in the cartoon series he was introduced in a special combining the Batman Animated series and Superman animated series versions. Flash and GL had appeared in other episodes of the Superman series, while WW was in that same special.

The Flash? Who cares.
                    Not that it matters, but I do. The Flash is my favorite DC characters (Wally West, not Barry Allen).

Supes is a very one note character, and he's so powerful that he becomes uninteresting. When you put him on a team of people that objectively speaking, he doesn't even need the help of, it kinda makes it even worse.
                    Superman is a smart fellow (he is an investigative journalist after all), but the key to a good Superman story is not his powers or his smarts. It's how he solves the moral problem. The key to a good Superman story is not how he solves the problem, but why it takes him so long to get there.

Flash is a smart ass that I've seen. He's just an awfully written smart ass.
                    I don't get the impression you actually read the comics, or at least not much, or at least not DC since you weren't sure which character was owned by which company.

With comic book characters, there is often a difference between how they are written in the books, and how they are written for television or the movies. Batman in the comic book is an unmitigated ass, totally unlikeable. But he's scary, and smartly written, and his supporting cast ARE likeable (my favorite is the Spoiler), which keeps readers coming back.

As for the Flash, it depends on which Flash you are talking about. The TV Flash is Wally West, who does have a flip sense of humor and is a bit self centered on TV (or at least he seems so; he shows a completely different side of himself in "Flash and Substance). He's less self centered in the comics; in fact he is much more in touch with people and very likable on his own merits, while Barry Allen is dull and pendantic. Wally had to deal with serious issues related to being both a superhero and a human being, which made him interesting. Barry has never really dealt with those issues, those recent stories have tried (unsuccessfully; I quit reading the book).

Even taking that away though, he's boring from a superhero premise. Wee, he's super fast......so....what? So is Superman. Then they stuck all sorts of ridiculous corny powers on him to try and make him cooler ( Super reading! Super protection for his clothes from friction! ). Nevermind that whole speedverse bullshit or whatever, ugh. The mystical dimension all speed heroes in DC get their power from.
                    The Speed Force. Yeah, the idea is problematic from a realism point of view. Superman's gifts are at least explained by the fact he is an alien. The Flashes are human. They took away a lot of Wally's powers after Crisis on Infinate Earths, then created the Speed Force as an excuse to bring them back. Granted, the Flash has a lot of baggage from the Silver Age when the laws of physics didn't matter to writers or readers, and current writers have been unable to come up with a way to explain what the Flash does or is.

I don't care. It's a good ride To each his own.

Thats the biggest problem a JLA movie faces though. DC doesn't know how to do that. Their biggest movie success has always been Batman, and in recent years, only due to the dark, gritty reboot tone. Which they tried to swing at Superman now too, but failed. Their attempts to make more Avengers like comic booky fair has failed miserably.

They nailed angst, but they can't figure out charm.
                    We agree on this one. They never should have gone for gritty with Superman, but going back to the Christopher Reeve camp didn't work either. They should have stuck with the formula they hit on with Smallville. That DID work, and could have easily transferred to the big screen. They had a ready fan base, too. Tom Welling would have reprised the role if they'd done that.

They need charm to make the other characters work, especially the Flash, Wonder Woman, and GL. They can make Aquaman work with grit, and probably Martian Manhunter as well.

But are those characters part of the JLA? DCs best character's are largely clustered in the Batman franchise and to a lesser extent, Superman. Once you get past those two, the household name recognition drops like a rock. Every knows Batman fights the Joker and Superman fights Lex Luthor. But past that if you're not already a devoted DC reader then this is going to be new territory. The average 10 year old can probably tell you everything about Batman, but I doubt he'd have any idea who Flash's archnemesis is.
                    Tough one. I'd call it close on between Gorilla Grodd and the Rogues Gallery.

The Rogues Gallery: a collection of minor villains (criminals) who formed a loose team who worked together to give the Flash a hard time. Individually, they can't take him on; together they are formidable.

Back to your point; I don't agree that's an issue any more than it was for the Avengers franchise. A lot of people knew who the Hulk was from the TV show. Ironman, probably not so much. But it didn't matter: the combination of good special effects, good writing, and Robert Downy Jr was all the masses needed to make a hit. The average viewer didn't need to know who Ironman was, or who his villains are. In fact, it was a benefit that most people didn't know that Obidiah Stane was actually Ironman's adversary at the beginning of the movie. But the in jokes (Stane's comment to Tony, "We're ironmongers" was a direct reference to the Ironmonger suit that later appeared in the movie, and was a well known character in the comic books).

DC just needs to do the same and in fact did with their presentation of Lucius Fox in Batman Begins. They can do it again with other important but minor DC characters to flesh out the universe: it only takes solid writing and the right casting to make it work.

Also, I *liked* Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern.
                    I actually haven't seen it yet; missed it in theaters and been too busy watching other stuff. The biggest complaint I heard was the special effects with his costume were distracting.

A lot of the origins, such as Wonder Woman, are deeply stuck in the era they were created in. They need a reboot onto themselves before they get near a mainstream audience.
                    Oh, I agree. The problem is, the reboots are sometimes just as bad as the original. As evidenced by the first Hulk movie (horrible plot).

[QUOTE=violiav;140323][QUOTE=Gravekeeper;140300],

/QUOTE]

And that's a problem. A Wonder Woman movie is a necessity for a JLA movie, and can be done right if they can just get away from the TV series of the 70's, and her connection to the Greek Gods and focus on her work as both a warrior and a diplomat: the dichotomy makes for interesting story telling.

A Wonder Woman movie should have kind of a Xena vibe to it. Heck, just get Lucy Lawless. I don't think she's even aged since Xena went off the air.
                    Pants doesn't equal respectable and skirts/bathing suits/shorts/dresses doesn't equal not respectable.
                    Oh, god no. Please not Lucy Lawless. Don't get me wrong. I loved Xena, one of my favorite TV shows. But she's too old, and people would not be able to separate the two characters. They need someone new and fresh.
                    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                      Oh, god no. Please not Lucy Lawless. Don't get me wrong. I loved Xena, one of my favorite TV shows. But she's too old, and people would not be able to separate the two characters. They need someone new and fresh.
                      That wasn't a quote from me >.>. I would rather Wonder Woman be played by a serious, *athletic* actress. Not yet another waif with tits that looks like her arm will snap like a twig if she throws a punch.

Superman's problem has always been his power level and how to create a challenge that actually threatens that level short of just having him fight other gods all the time. Couple that with the boy scout attitude and you have a problem. The boy scout attitude works on Captain America because he's not all powerful and he does have problems his power can't overcome. Its much more difficult to write that for Supes without threatening to end the world every other week.

Batman on the other hand is a very strong character ( and yeah kind of batshit crazy in the comics sometimes >.> ) but also very much a loner. More analogous to Ironman to begin with. Albeit on the opposite end of the attitude spectrum. Both characters would need a lot of development indicating their shift towards joining a team. Ironman had 2 movies to do that. Batman hasn't. Also, there's no way you could put Nolan Batman on a team. You would need to reboot Batman yet again.

Wonder Woman needs a deft writer and director at the reigns who can modernize her. She's a lot like Superman though in that her costume and powers are a relic from the golden age. Her personality is also a complete mystery to the average movie goer. Also, the article you linked, Gloria has no real problem with the costume. She was upset over changing the powers and mythos. When frankly, those are the two things holding WW back from a mainstream audience. There's no way WW can be as passive as she was in the golden age. WW was an air headed ditz half the time in the golden age. Her mythos also needs a modern update. There's no way you can go with the full on princess of the Amazons from the magic land of hot amazon women thing now.

The Flash is to JLA what Antman is to the Avengers. His powers are boring, so interest has to lean on the character himself. Like Antman, Flash will need a *good* writer. I was ready to toss Antman for being silly, but Mightiest Heroes changed my mind about him. Both by making him a character outside of Antman and giving him a great foil in Wasp. Flash would need similar treatment. He also definitely needs a movie first.

The reason the Avenger worked so well is because all of its characters were always intended to be in a movie together. The storylines of all of their movies were intertwined and they all had easter eggs, cameos and plot points that pointed to the other movies. DC hasn't done any of that and keeps alternating between rebooting their two biggies. Bats and Supes.

They can't just leap to a JLA movie, because no one will give much of a shit in the mainstream audience. By the time Avengers hit, everyone was invested in the characters already. Even the characters that were lesser known, like Ironman, were give proper treatment. I didn't know much about Ironman before the movies, and they made sure to give Ironman two movies before Avengers to really flesh him out.

JLA needs at least four movies: Supes, Bats, WW and Flash. Past that the rest of the possible team members fall off the radar of the mainstream. Or worse yet, are long running pop culture punchlines like Aquaman. Who will never, ever be taken seriously.

DC's current movie tone won't work though. Nobody wants to watch the dark, gritty hopeless reboot JLA movie. >.>

Avengers works so well because each of the core Avengers stood on their own in their own movie, but also worked perfectly off of one another when together. DC needs that level of writing but I don't think they know where to find it without just trying to rehire everyone Marvel did for Avengers.
                      Last edited by Gravekeeper; 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I have to admit my knowledge of Tony Stark was scant when I saw the first movie, hell most of it stemmed from the Ultimate line and as that isn't continuity per say, the origin could have been vastly different to the original instead of a modern retelling.

Spiderman was a better movie than the 70's ones, but then again they were the 70's ones.
                        FF I was meh about.
                        Never saw the hulk movies, but got the 'cannon' one with the avengers box set.
                        Capt I saw the late 80's early 90's one but not gotten round to the new one, just seen Iron man 1+2 and Avengers from the set so far.
                        Thor I know of as a character outside of Norse mythos, but my first introduction to him and this was a long gap till I read about him via a cross over, was a scene in Adventures in Babysitting (I think the alternate title was A night on the town) where the Mechanic had long hair and the sister was convinced he was thor in disguise and offered him her plastic helmet.

I'm old enough to have seen some of the Hulk TV shows, but none of the back door pilots for DD and Thor, just the TGWTG crossovers.

I knew a few names of the Xmen by the time the movies first aired, but I had not read any or seen the cartoons

The DD movie was rather forgettable.

With DC, I grew up with the Reeves Superman and Reruns of the Adam West TV Batman saw the first 2 Batman movies but I don't recall seeing the third and avoided all others (or were there just 4?) till the reboot.
                        Saw Returns and wondered why it was a continuation and not a reboot as the Reeves era went south in the 3rd movie and there was a long gap.
                        Unless it was a continuation of Lois and Clarke with different actors.
                        But as with that and Smallville Sups has had a lot of non comic exposure for all sorts of comic and original foils to appear, with varying degrees of reception.

I never watched WW but saw clips, all I really remember was the outfit and the spinning around to change the golden lasso but not it's powers the bullet deflecting bracelets and the invisible plane.

Saw Green Lantern, was OK I guess, but I have no idea how well he was portrayed.

I know very little of DC's other characters especially those in the JLA, I might be able to name a few and their powers, but if they did an Averngers without establishing them somehow, I might as a non DCU follower, be turned off by too many too much too little.

You were not thrown into the deep end with the Watchmen even though they were all exclusive to the 12 issues and nothing else (till the before watchmen titles) but we did have enough back story given (via flashbacks) and even though bits were changed or dropped, enough was given to make them feel complete characters on screen without having read the original.
                        Do this with a modern team and you would spend too much of the movie establishing characters with little action (or just solo set pieces) that by the time the team is assembled and ready for action, it's a final 20 minute set piece. That or you just throw the viewer into an already established team and expect them to just deal with it.
                        TV shows have the ability to draw out the origins over a few episodes, that's great but a movie doesn't normally have 24 45 minute episodes to back it up.

I had never seen Firefly by the time I watched Serenity, but it was written free of backstory baggage, it was for the fans as closure, but also it was open enough for someone like me who had heard of the show but never seen it to enjoy it.

Then again, you could cast a TV show with the hopes of generating a movie or 3 later on (worked for ST:TNG long after the last episode even if some were a bit off), but rarely do you get a TV show from a movie without a heavy recast, if I wanted the A Team back, I would not have cast any big name (although Hanibal is the only one I can recall being big) as it would look out of place afterwards.

Comment

Wonder Woman needs a deft writer and director at the reigns who can modernize her. She's a lot like Superman though in that her costume and powers are a relic from the golden age. Her personality is also a complete mystery to the average movie goer. Also, the article you linked, Gloria has no real problem with the costume. She was upset over changing the powers and mythos. When frankly, those are the two things holding WW back from a mainstream audience.
                          Gloria has two issues, the background being the bigger of the two.

Steinem says I don't have a big issue with jeans versus skirt -- though jeans give us the idea that only pants can be powerful -- tell that to Greek warriors and sumo wrestlers -- and though in fact, they're so tight that they've just painted her legs blue; hardly a cover-up. I have an issue with changing her clothes and destroying home and family on what seems to be the brainstorming of a very limited group pf brains.
                          There's no way WW can be as passive as she was in the golden age. WW was an air headed ditz half the time in the golden age.
                          Nobody is talking about doing Golden Age WW, especially when the average persons point of reference is the DCAU JLA. My 10 year old daughter loves WW, but I'm certain she's never read a Golden Age comic in her life. Her point of reference is the DCAU WW. I daresay, that version was no push over.

Her mythos also needs a modern update. There's no way you can go with the full on princess of the Amazons from the magic land of hot amazon women thing now.
                          Like what? There's a finite number of hero archetypes and origins. Batman and Supes have the "orphan" angle all wrapped up. WW is a sometime exile and is a "stranger in a strange land." This world would be odd to her. She's like freaking Thor! People can totally buy into that, but Amazons with powers is a bit of a stretch?
                          How about "Magic land of various types of different looking amazon women"? These women supposedly spend several hours a day training, why wouldn't they be somewhat attractive looking and fit("attractive" being a generality, since everyone has different tastes)?
                          Throw in some battle weary Amazons-missing limbs, eyes, scars, right breasts missing.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=77948

Comment

My thing with WW and this just comes from consuming lots of stories via IO9, The Mary Sue, etc. is that she's just a minefield. She comes with so much expectation and baggage that I'm not sure there is a "Universally Likable" version of her. That's not her fault, rather she just comes loaded with a lot of things people want from her portrayal. There are already so many interpretations out there.

Gloria sort of encapsulates the problem for me. It's like if Trekkies had the ability to use equality or a cause greater than Star Trek to argue about why you can't change Star Trek. And technically Trekkies do, but science, space exploration, and equality in that universe didn't really seem to inspire much of anything in terms of preventing retconning the universe in the effort to make Star Trek more universally appealing.

So WW can either try to keep with Steinem's vision, hardcore comic readers vision, or some writer we're even talking about yet that tries to blend the best of all worlds in order to make a relatable woman that works in a 2013 context and doesn't actively alienate any one particular audience. But from canon, there's just a lot of knives to juggle.

The Thor movie for example spent half its time on Asgard just to set itself up AND it used two other lead level characters. It sold out screen time to be about Asgardian succession. Earth is just where some things happened. I'm not sure WW can try that. Yet it's going to have to juggle Greek Gods if it tries to go for her origin story.

How is going to handle her beauty which is stated to be somewhat central usually with the phrase of "beauty of Aphrodite"? How do you do that without getting male gazey? Do you just fit it all in with one Steve Rogers or Thoresque fanservice shot and contain it? Do you Judge Dredd her and not focus and have people talk about it?

Do you respect Steinem's wish for how WW resolves issues and keep WW as an antidote for the "sadism and gore" of men's comic book characters and make WW about compassion and conversion rather than victory or martial prowess?

I don't have answers to these, I think my problem is people have invested so much hope in what WW SHOULD be, that by the time it gets answered a large number will be disappointed. Better to be Storm or the Black Widow where existence is sufficient philosophically and writing a fun compelling character is sufficient story wise.

Comment

Originally posted by violiav View Post
                              Nobody is talking about doing Golden Age WW, especially when the average persons point of reference is the DCAU JLA. My 10 year old daughter loves WW, but I'm certain she's never read a Golden Age comic in her life. Her point of reference is the DCAU WW. I daresay, that version was no push over.
                              WW's introduction in DCAU JLA was awful. To paraphase:

"Who are you?"
                              "Oh hai, I r princess Amazon."
                              Flash: "Oh god, that is so hawt".

DCAU JLA did an awful job of introducing pretty much everyone. Everybody shows up in episode one with a one line blurb for the most part. When you compare it to Avengers EMH, each character was given an entire episode to themselves before the Avengers were even mentioned.

DCAU vs EMH clearly demonstrates the problem I'm talking about to be honest. Marvel has been careful to develop its characters on the big screen before throwing a party. DCseems to just jump in and assume everyone knows everything.

Like what? There's a finite number of hero archetypes and origins. Batman and Supes have the "orphan" angle all wrapped up. WW is a sometime exile and is a "stranger in a strange land." This world would be odd to her. She's like freaking Thor! People can totally buy into that, but Amazons with powers is a bit of a stretch?
                              Its not the powers part, its that land of the Amazons is kinda cheesy at this point in time. A more Thor like stranger in a strange land approach would actually work fairly well. She has a similar problem to Captain America; her concept has become somewhat old fashion and Marvel knew it.

So what did Marvel do? It toned down the cheesy factor of Captain America and stopped reminding the audience he was Captain America. His time skip back story gave the perfect excuse for why his concept was old fashion, and most the time everyone just calls him Cap' instead of Captain America. They made his outfit more realistic, and made his original costume kind of an inside joke by making it a stage costume.

They did the same thing with Hawkeye and before all this, with the X-Men. They knew that it wouldn't translate well into a live film. The costumes and what not would look ridiculous. WW has the same problem, that outfit doesn't translate well. Neither does Superman's frankly, they had to mute it down and ditch the red spandex undies. The Flash faces a similar problem, if you recall how ridiculous he looked in the 90s TV series.

If you stop and think about the Avengers, Cap is the only one really wearing what you could call a superhero costume, and that's the brilliant illusion of it all that makes them work on the big screen. Cap also has an excuse to wear said costume because he's from a lost golden age. You don't question Thor or Ironman because they're wearing battle armour. Hulk is his own costume and Hawkeye and Black Widow are simply SHIELD agents.

JLA needs to pull off a similar trick. Especially given how ridiculous flashy the costumes involved are. There's no way they can trot out the stars and stripes swimsuit on Wonder Woman and have it taken at face value. It'll be campy as all get out.

How about "Magic land of various types of different looking amazon women"? These women supposedly spend several hours a day training, why wouldn't they be somewhat attractive looking and fit("attractive" being a generality, since everyone has different tastes)?
                              They would be attractive, but not attractive in the Hollywood sense. Thats the problem. Superpowered Waif Syndrome. A stick with a pretty face that inexplicably is suppose to beat the shit out of 10 dudes at once. Amazons would be more like an Olympic athlete.

That aside, Amazons could work if they were Amazons. If you gave them a martial monk sort of bend it could work. Although Amazons were actually agents of chaos in Greek mythology.

Amazons were mythical Greek warriors though. They did not actually fight naked or anything like that. They wore armour and helmets like any other warrior in that time period. Its Hollywood that has sexed up the idea of amazons into chain mail bikinis and thats kind of the problem. WW's outfit was based on the invented idea of an amazon, not the mythological idea. Which is weird seeing as all the other amazons in DC comics are actually clothed/armoured properly and not in a one piece with thigh boots. Even WW herself tends to be in more appropriate Greek clothing when shown in flashbacks. Well, except DCUA which put her in a Greek miniskirt because God forbid we not see her thighs.

Also the whole breast cut off thing is a myth on top of a myth. They did no such thing in the original Greek myths.
                              Last edited by Gravekeeper; 07-01-2013, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X