Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can someone recommend a rapefree nonkids fantasy book series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone recommend a rapefree nonkids fantasy book series.

I'm always looking for new stuff to read, and honestly it would nice to have my escapism be to a place that people don't get raped. You know what feel free to recommend tv shows and video games but I'm mainly interested in looking at books right now.

Off the top of my head here are the ones that I know of that qualify:
    maybe lotr? I don't remember it well enough, it is extremely boring for me to read whether it's there or not.

Here are some that don't qualify:
    wheel of time, sword of truth, dresden files, dragonlance, mistborn, game of thrones, incarnations,

I don't remember any rape in Wheel of Time, but you've disqualified that, so nevermind :P I don't know what to tell you. LotR obviously has no rape, and neither does The Hobbit. Harry Potter maybe?

Comment

Disc World (you didn't say what you had read just a list of don't say these)

Harry potter is safe unless you read the fan fiction, then again even the Mr Men aren't safe from slash.

Cant recall if the sex scenes not that there were many that I recall, but the Amtrak wars (4 or 6 books that I read in the 90s when it was already old), maybe clan of the cave bear a book series I never got into and my dad could only find the last however many books and not much of the first, but as he had already read them before he didn't mind not having them, but it did bar my entry to the series.

Oh I am up to book 7 in the Morganville vampire books by Rachel Cain, its probably between twilight and vampire diaries, more young adult/late teen audience and the vamps are out in the open, but not in the open globally, just this area of Texas.
      I could have finished book 12 by now, but I started reading 7 2 years ago, I marathoned the first 6 and took 7 to idle down time at a local festival, I just never picked it back up and would have to start back at the beginning of the book.
      Last edited by Ginger Tea; 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Wheel of Time Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Matt is raped by Tylin, she keeps him against his will, he has to plan his escape and in one scene she even keeps a knife to his throat while having sex with him.

end spoilers

Harry Potter is a kids book in my opinion.

I tried discworld and found it not really to be living up to the hype I didn't care for it much. I may try it again later.

Comment

I was thoroughly meh with the first 3 disc world books, didn't help that I was the 3rd in the house to read them after my father then brother, so they would talk about some funny bit and I would get to that and go "oh that would have been funny ..."

Have not read any of them in almost a decade, last I recall was 5th elephant, should rebuy the lot at some point and add it to my to do list after the Morganville books and my ever increasing but rarely viewed DVD collection.

Got the lone wolf and cub box set just looking at me, I've owned it for 2 or more years.

Comment

The Abhorsen Trilogy is pretty good. It does have teenagers in it but I never thought of the books at YA.

Abhorsen Trilogy

Comment

There is a difference, sometimes only slightly, between a story for the young and those that have young characters in them.

I have no intention of reading Harry Potter and the DVD box set is well under my to do list, but it's higher than the twilight trilogy (only cos it was dirt cheap and I didn't know 2 other movies were to come or I would not have bought it) and that one is left for when I feel at my absolute worst and I have seen all the movies (apart from Adam Sandler and similar).
              But my dad got the first 2 or 3 Potter books, I don't know if he read them or his thoughts as I never asked him at the time and can not now.

Oh the Magicians Guild trilogy (or whatever it was called) by Trudy Cavanagh (borked the spelling) read that years ago, my only real beef with that was her calling rats something spiders something else, so I had no idea what the character was on about till they said the thing had 8 legs.
              it was like reading a well written book but found they had translated it and didn't know what the English words were for all the animals so just left them in, kinda broke my immersion into the story.

Comment

Anything by Patricia C Wrede or Robin McKinley.

Wrede is more deconstructive and humorous, but spins a good yarn. McKlinley takes her worlds more seriously, but has a knack for retelling fairy tales. One of her novels is a non-rapey version of The Sheik, deliberately.
                I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

Just avoid Deerskin by McKinley, which rather centrally focuses around the main character's rape. Not surprising given the fairytale it's based on.
                  http://dragcave.net/user/radiocerk

Comment

I wasn't aware trying to find rape free fantasy series was a problem. Then I started to think about it for a minute. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      I wasn't aware trying to find rape free fantasy series was a problem. Then I started to think about it for a minute. >.>
                      Yeah, this was kind of my reaction too. Now I'm sitting here trying to think of some.

I would recomend giving Discworld another try, and don't try to read it in publishing order--the first books aren't nearly as good as the rest, and theres no overarching plot connecting every single book, so reading in order isn't necessary.

Guards Guards! Is a decent place to start. Monstrous Regiment is just damn awesome. The Truth is another good one, or Going Postal. Mort is damn fine too.

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest lacks any that I can think of off the top of my head.

Most anything by Garth Nix, especially his Keys to the Kingdom or Abhorsen series. Some might consider them YA, but I still quite enjoy them.

The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer lacks any, and is quite fun, though if you consider Harry Potter a kids book, it might not be for you.

Ready Player One is a damn fine story without any rape.

Comment

I don't think I've ever read any fantasy with rape in it.
                        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I'd ask if near misses or remembered rape counts...Cuz if it doesn't, you might try the Alara Codex.

Faith Hunter's books are good. I like her Rogue Mage series...wait, does incited sexual tension count? Hmm...

Seanan McGuire's books are good. And clean. Well no rape.

Orson Scott Card. Any of his books. Ender's Game is awesome.
                          I has a blog!

Comment

The Dragonriders of Pern series is rape free as far as I can recall.

Dennis L. McKiernan's Mithgar series is largely rape free. It's a similar world to Tolkien (heroic halflings, elves, orcs, etc) but his writing style isn't as ponderous to read through. You can start anywhere in the series...but I suggest "Voyage of the Fox Rider" as a good starting point

The first book in Mercedes Lacky's Bardic Voices series has a near rape (main character defends herself quite well with a well placed snap kick and a headbutt) in the very beginning of the book but the other two don't have it. "The Lark and the Wren" is the first book in the series.

David Eddings "Belgariad" and "Mallorian" series are rape free if memory serves and is a nice long series. Five books each in the two series as well as two prequel books. Start with "Pawn of Prophecy" and go from there.
                            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

The Xanth novels (at least that I can remember). Loads of puns, but no rape. I would suggest The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever, but I would have to say start in the second trilogy..the first would be disqualified.

The Phase/Photon books would be out also (though great) because the last book has rape (and of course who wants to read a series and not finish it?)

Man I've read hundreds of fantasy novels, maybe even past 1000 and drawing blanks. Bah.

Comment

Working...
                              X