Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can someone recommend a rapefree nonkids fantasy book series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XCashier
    replied
    Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
    I was thoroughly meh with the first 3 disc world books, didn't help that I was the 3rd in the house to read them after my father then brother, so they would talk about some funny bit and I would get to that and go "oh that would have been funny ..."
    Discworld does get better as the series goes on. I think it took Terry Pratchett a little trial and error to figure out which direction to take some of his characters (Death, for instance, changes greatly from the first book to later in the series). My personal favorite so far is Wyrd Sisters, though I also liked Mort, Guards! Guards!, Witches Abroad, Interesting Times and Hogfather.

Leave a comment:

• crashhelmet
    replied
    The only experience I have with the Discworld series is the game for the PlayStation One

Leave a comment:

• Lyse
    replied
    I second the idea of retrying some if the Discworld series. I am a huge Pratchett fan and even I have to admit that the first handful of books published were not his best. I'll reread them, but not nearly as much as his later work.

Leave a comment:

• Pixilated
    replied
    I would definitely recommend giving the Discworld books a second try. I bought two or three at once, and tried to read The Fifth Elephant first -- it seemed to me to require a lot of knowledge of characters who'd been introduced in other books and I pretty much gave up. The other one I'd bought was The Truth -- and to somebody who was still in the newspaper business at the time, that book was priceless. A vampire news photographer (hint: photographers use flash a lot ...), a well-meaning young man whose chatty "newsletters" to the upper class slowly morph into Discworld's first newspaper, and ... OMG ... some guy who keeps wanting photos taken of his oddly shaped vegetables ... (anybody who's worked on a community newspaper has encountered that last guy!) That made me a permanent Pratchett fan.

gremcint, you mentioned fantasy, but are you willing to try science fiction? Because if so, I'd highly recommend some of the classics: Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein .... In the vast majority of these books, if there's any sex at all, it's offscreen.

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
    Oh, I quite agree. ( though the passage in the book isn't 100% clear Lessa was unwilling as such- my personal interpretation of the passage in question was that Lessa was basically lying back, not really participating, as opposed to being actually unwilling.)
    Grant you that. I suppose it's one of those times where you can interpret either way (I prefer a non-rape version, like you're pointing out, but I'll admit you can read it differently).

Although it is one of those areas of her books I want to write fanfic for. McCaffrey's not really specific on how F'lar goes about winning her favor; it just kind of happens eventually.

Leave a comment:

• s_stabeler
    replied
    Oh, I quite agree. ( though the passage in the book isn't 100% clear Lessa was unwilling as such- my personal interpretation of the passage in question was that Lessa was basically lying back, not really participating, as opposed to being actually unwilling.)

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    Sorry, got posts confused. Happens when I'm using the phone app

But whether it was legal or not at the time, the book itself obviously didn't think it was okay. So there's that.

Leave a comment:

• s_stabeler
    replied
    You missed my point completely. I said NOTHING about F'nor and Brekke- what I was trying to point out was that it's probably unfair to judge all the Pern books on that one scene ( Meaning F'lar and Lessa), especially when it was not rape at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
    actually, what F'lar did wasn't legally rape at the time the books were written. Lessa was already his Weyrmate, which is oftne compared to a marriage. in 1968, when Dragonflight was wirtten, marital rape was legal. It would be made illegal shortly after ( in at least one US state- itwas 1993 before it became illegal across the US, and is still legal in some countries. in the UK, it was made illegal in 1991.), but bear in mind that it wasn't illegal at the time.

and it wasn't anytime after- by The White Dragon, Lessa is definitely with F'lar of her own free will.
    We're going to go into the legalities of rape or not? Wish I could find the box with the books in them easily, I'm pretty sure F'lar himself compared sleeping with her in Dragonflight when dragons weren't involved as rape...or at least like sleeping with a statue.

Basically, Lessa was unwilling, but we're not going to count it because of legal laws of the time, but Brekke was willing but hesitant and you're going to call that one rape?

Leave a comment:

• s_stabeler
    replied
    Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
    Now, F'lar and Lessa's first time...and anytime after that that didn't have dragon's involved....
    actually, what F'lar did wasn't legally rape at the time the books were written. Lessa was already his Weyrmate, which is oftne compared to a marriage. in 1968, when Dragonflight was wirtten, marital rape was legal. It would be made illegal shortly after ( in at least one US state- itwas 1993 before it became illegal across the US, and is still legal in some countries. in the UK, it was made illegal in 1991.), but bear in mind that it wasn't illegal at the time.

and it wasn't anytime after- by The White Dragon, Lessa is definitely with F'lar of her own free will.

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
    It's not explicit, but it's certainly somewhat debatable about F'nor and Brekke's first time, before Wirenth's flight.

(Please don't spoil the next major event in case the OP picks Pern anyway...)
    F'nor and Brekke? She wanted to be with him but didn't want to end up sleeping with him and then end up sleeping with someone else when Wirenth flew. But F'nor and Canth both assured her that Canth could fly Wirenth since Canth was about the size of a bronze anyway.

Now, F'lar and Lessa's first time...and anytime after that that didn't have dragon's involved....

Leave a comment:

• Duelist925
    replied
    Originally posted by gremcint View Post
    *snip*

I consider it to be a series if it's at least 2 books, I do agree that the longer a series goes the less and less story options they have so it probably will happen but if discworld is actually rapefree how many books are in that series again?
    About 36~ish. Rape exists in the world, and is mentioned very occasionally, but it's never been a plot device.

Leave a comment:

• violiav
    replied
    I haven't read any rapes scenes in the Warhammer 40k books I've read. Now, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in that universe. I mean, there's flying cyborg dead babies and demon cults.
    I was about to say that I can't think of any in Star Trek, but I'm fairly certain that both Tasha Yar and Kira Nerys have both been raped. But thats background, not plot device.
    It's similar in Dragonlance. Background information, not part of the plot to drive the story. I just don't recall any of them actually getting raped by orcs.

Leave a comment:

• siead_lietrathua
    replied
    I'd throw a vote in for the Dune books as well, if you like political-ish scifi. although the dune series original 7 books have an occasional rape scene, it's not an overwhelming volume. the prequel "house" series (atredies, harkonnen, corino) however do have a fair bit more, because harkonnens are assholes :P
    i don't think the machine wars three do, been a while since i read those, and i havent read some of the newer books, i stopped after it hit 13 books or so.

the thing about rape scenes in any book though... they're obvious when they start. so it's easy enough to jump to the next chapter mark and pick it up from there. there are some good books that use rape as a tool of politics, power and control and don't try to make it seem "sexy", so i don't mind it in that context because it's being honest. it's the stupid books that tries to equate rape with love and "omg he just looves her that much" and excuses or glorifies the abuse that i can't stand.

Leave a comment:

• Fire_on_High
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
    The Dragonriders of Pern series is rape free as far as I can recall.
    It's not explicit, but it's certainly somewhat debatable about F'nor and Brekke's first time, before Wirenth's flight.

(Please don't spoil the next major event in case the OP picks Pern anyway...)
    Last edited by Fire_on_High; 07-09-2013, 10:30 AM. Reason: Adding

Leave a comment:

Working...
X