Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shut Up and Play Music (Not safe for meal time.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shut Up and Play Music (Not safe for meal time.)

I wrote the following about 3 years ago. I decided to put it here after my latest trip to DC. I just added the smileys just now.

I hate radio morning programs. I'm listening to a music radio station, I want to hear MUSIC, not a bunch of morons getting into a shouting match about "Batman."

I once heard this one moron tell the female DJ that her perfume was like cat urine. She was moody and irritable all day. Of course her problem is obvious, she suffered from PIMS (Putting up with Idiot in the Morning Syndrome).

Wait, it gets worse. A cheesy announcer guy once said, "Does your dog eat his own 'dog log?'"

No, but I was eating breakfast. I WAS eating breakfast before you said that, but now I've lost my appetite. Thanks, Idiot in the Morning!

Aren't you glad I waited until AFTER lunch to send this?
    That rant didn't include the story of a guy using a garden hose for an enema.

That's only the stuff I've personally heard on the radio.

----------

I have heard about morning radio DJ's doing worse things over the airwaves.

A radio DJ made a racist joke about a man being dragged to his death behind a pickup truck.
    After a caller complained about his daughter being a lesbian, another DJ suggested calling one of his friends to commit a "corrective rape" on her.
    Who could forget "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest? I'm sure the family of the woman who died from water intoxication won't forget.

These music radio stations should stop this madness immediately and play music. These radio DJ's should just stick to news, weather, sports, and traffic.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Then again, I did hear the following exchange on morning radio.

DJ: "What kind of beer do you like to drink?"
    Caller: "Bud Light. I may be a gay man, but I'm just your average Joe Blow. Uh, I mean ..."
    DJ's:

Comment

Yeah, I don't care for morning shows at all either.The ones I've caught generally tend to be pretty gross, the type of stuff usually found late on Comedy Central.

ETA: That's why I stick with NPR.

Comment

I used to listen to one station until their female morning host commented on the Olympics being recorded to be shown in the country they were being held in. Then she went on to complain that the popular events weren't being shown live...

It was then I realized how dumb she sounded at times.

Comment

you mean there are still "Morning Zoo" type programs out there?????
          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
            A radio DJ made a racist joke about a man being dragged to his death behind a pickup truck.
            After a caller complained about his daughter being a lesbian, another DJ suggested calling one of his friends to commit a "corrective rape" on her.
            And I thought Kyle Sandilands was bad.... (yes, he's known for being a dick, but I can't see him making the above comments any time soon.)
            Funnily enough, despite Kyle being a dick, he's actually managed to use that to his advantage-he currently judges Australia's Got Talent and in the past also judged Australian Idol, The X Factor, hosted Big Brother (before it got yanked) and had a nightly radio show. He's STILL hosting the nightly radio show, but not with his female coworker.

Originally posted by catcul View Post
            Then again, I did hear the following exchange on morning radio.

DJ: "What kind of beer do you like to drink?"
            Caller: "Bud Light. I may be a gay man, but I'm just your average Joe Blow. Uh, I mean ..."
            DJ's:

Now THAT'S funny.

I tend to be mixed about the morning radio shows. The station I currently listen to seems to handle the music/chatter balance quite nicely. Nearly all the popular stations in my state (Triple M, Mix, SAFM and Nova) do traffic/weather every 15 minutes and news reads every 30 minutes. It gets doubly annoying during footy season (and is why I no longer listen to Triple M) though.

Comment

When Mark & Brian were still around, I didn't mind listening to morning radio. And the old Pirate Radio (KQLZ) station from the late '80s morning show has Scott Shannon of the Z Morning Zoo fame, who was actually quite entertaining.

Most top 40 morning chatter is utterly inane and intelligence-insulting.
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                When Mark & Brian were still around, I didn't mind listening to morning radio. And the old Pirate Radio (KQLZ) station from the late '80s morning show has Scott Shannon of the Z Morning Zoo fame, who was actually quite entertaining.

Most top 40 morning chatter is utterly inane and intelligence-insulting.
                Sadly, Mark & Brian were replaced by Heidi and Frank - a lesbian and a gay man.

I wouldn't normally identify people that way, except that they talk about it ALL. THE. TIME. There isn't a day that goes by that they don't talk about sex in some fashion, and Heidi's muff-diving is a popular topic of discussion; Frank's own sexual escapades get mentioned less often, but do get mentioned.

Mark & Brian could be crude, they could be crass, but they were always striving for the funny. Heidi & Frank seem to think that the crude & crass IS the funny.

Comment

We used to have Chapin and McBean on WCSX and they were pretty funny. They kind of got taken off the air unexpectedly and I'm still not sure what happened but I suspect they crossed some line.

There was also Drew and Mike, I listened to them for a long time and then one morning they were harassing this old lady about stuff and making fun of her because she had no clue. I stopped listening to them after that.

Now it's mostly Sirius for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                    you mean there are still "Morning Zoo" type programs out there?????
                    Thankfully, the local station I listen to only has one DJ in the morning, and he's not obnoxious at all. Unfortunately, I travel to places that still use irritating morning programs.

Comment

On the flip side, whenever I want to listen to talk radio, I get like 2 minutes of talking and 8 minutes of commercials or something to that effect. I tend to listen to CDs more than anything else nowadays
                      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Oh, one other thing about Heidi and Frank that pissed me off, perhaps unfairly. They use "zany soundboard sounds." I don't hate those, but they're only OK when they're used in moderation... which doesn't describe how they do ANYTHING.

Comment

I dunno, I enjoy the well timed sound drop but it's an artform and relies on the comic timing of someone that was ostensibly hired as a technician. Michael Gruber of The Ticket was a master of it although that wasn't a morning show. It basically relies on being able to add something new to the show. If it's just accent sound effects and non-sequitors it's rarely funny. It's sort of the radio version of Harpo Marx: they're not in the dialogue, they're just adding gags that add to the presentation. If you're not laughing, they're personally not doing a good job.

As for morning radio, I give it a pass. But I also give vapid water cooler talk a pass at work.

Comment

I'm not a fan of morning shows, either. We have one here on the 'today's hits' kind of station called "To Catch A Cheater." Look, the only reason I'm even up at this hour is because my boss saw fit to schedule me this way and I do need to make a living. I need something upbeat to get me going. The last thing I want is a couple of immature DJs airing people's dirty laundry on live radio, with each of the offending parties on a phone line arguing with each other like on the Maury show. I don't care who found another woman's thong in the toilet tank or that some lunatic thought a guy should be willing to 'step up' and take care of her unborn child, that he found out she was carrying on their first date.

This is why Pandora is so popular.
                            A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

One of the worst things about morning radio can be summed up in just three words.

Bob and Tom

Those guys are idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X