Anybody else sick of Stan Lee cameos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else sick of Stan Lee cameos?

I know he's influential, I know he created a lot of stuff and it's great he gets the recognition but every freaking movie really? and I'm trying ultimate spider man and not even half through the first episode and there he is. It kills the immersion for me and it's a dumb joke. It's basically let's pause the story, here's stan lee front and center. I know hitchcock did the same thing but he did subtly.

I thought that scene was awesome. So did most of the rest of the people in the theater I was in.

Plus, it's in keeping with the tone of Spider-Man as a comic, which tends to be a bit less serious than other titles in the shared universe. The previous trilogy was a good super-hero trilogy, but not a great Spider-Man trilogy.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

His 3rd Iron Man cameo was very low key, I think it was 2 where he shook Tony's hand as a 'mover and shaker' somewhere cant recall the first (unless that was the first movies cameo).

The fact that he's never the same character twice is the only 4th wall breaker for me, but it doesn't harm the flow, don't recall his FF or Rami cameos, but 3 films 3 different parts didn't harm Bruce Cambell and he got lines in all 3 Spiderman films.

Or does he get a free pass for being Bruce Groovy Cambell?

Comment

You're comparing Bruce campbell showing up three times to Stan lee showing up almost 20. http://www.listal.com/list/stan-lees...l-movie-cameos

it's just not a joke I really find that funny and end up rolling my eyes when ever I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
          His 3rd Iron Man cameo was very low key, I think it was 2 where he shook Tony's hand as a 'mover and shaker' somewhere cant recall the first (unless that was the first movies cameo).
          The second one he actually played Larry King. You wouldn't know it was him without looking closely, and the shot was so short, it's easy to miss. When I saw it the first time, I could tell it couldn't have been the real Larry King but someone had to point out to me it was Stan Lee dressed as him.

Comment

Out of all the classic superhero creators (not withstanding his dubious past with his co creators), hes probably the only one still alive that people have heard of.
            Bob Cane (or was it Kane) has been dead a while now, the two guys who did superman, hell I don't even know their names, probably both dead.

Radom DCU characters, erm pass.

so when the seemingly sole survivor of the comic book early years (even if he was late to the party compared to DC's trio of "Super Bat Woman" and gets listed as executive producer on most of the films (without checking), if he wants to slap a few grand on an already well funded budget to get a cameo, good for him.

I also brought up Cambell as any Rami production seems to have him in it at some point, except for Grudge.
            Hell he even got a needless cameo as the stinger for the remake of the Evil dead, but hey fan service and executive producing gets you these things.

I don't think Stan should stop doing these cameos as long as he is alive to film them, then again they could do a Tupac and just use archive footage on a TV somewhere.
            To some he IS marvel, just as bill gates is Microsoft, even though neither have been at the helm for quite some time.

Comment

I also brought up Cambell as any Rami production seems to have him in it at some point, except for Grudge.
              Hell he even got a needless cameo as the stinger for the remake of the Evil dead, but hey fan service and executive producing gets you these things.
              Actually I've heard Raimi wants to connect the two series together and have it all tie together.

Comment

So evil dead II was a remake more than a sequel and the reboot is in the same universe, and no one burned down that cabin why?

Comment

So evil dead II was a remake more than a sequel and the reboot is in the same universe, and no one burned down that cabin why?
                  well the only survivor was sucked back in time.

Comment

not just bruce campbell, ted raimi has also been in damn close to every film+ tv show sam has put out.

mini nerd rant: the new evil dead is an sequel to the original evil dead movie, bypassing evil dead 2 since evil dead 2 was really a reboot of evil dead. so of evil dead 1985 + 2013 are a set, and evil dead 2 + army of darkness are a set.. that's why the car, book, etc are still at the house in the 2013 film where in evil dead 2 they were taken through the portal with ash. however i think officially the new film is to be considered a totally separate series and neither a sequel or remake..... errrr i'ma go back to my geeky corner of shame now /nerdrant

on topic: i like the stan lee cameos. he's been some fun background characters, from guy-moving-lawn to random-tv-interviewee. sure it's silly but who cares, it's a movie!
                    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post

on topic: i like the stan lee cameos. he's been some fun background characters, from guy-moving-lawn to random-tv-interviewee. sure it's silly but who cares, it's a movie!
                      And stan Lee's cameo's are a problem, but Stephen king's aren't? he's had almost as many.
                      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                        And stan Lee's cameo's are a problem, but Stephen king's aren't? he's had almost as many.
                        never said that anyone's cameos was bad. they are all fun IMHO.

Comment

I thought I made this point earlier, but I guess I never posted it.

The Stan Lee cameo is subtle commentary on the nature of superhero brawls - far too often, the heroes and villains do massive damage to the city without seeming to notice. In this case, though, it's not the hero who is the oblivious one!

Comment

It doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Most of the cameos are set out of the way of the real action. In "The Avengers" it was pretty much as everything was winding down and out of the way. In "Thor" it was before the action really got a start.

It could be a lot worse.
                            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

i actually found a list! heck i didnt even notice half of these lol.
                              http://www.listal.com/list/stan-lees...l-movie-cameos

Comment

Working...
                              X