Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sinead O'Connor's Open Letter to Miley Cyrus (NSFW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinead O'Connor's Open Letter to Miley Cyrus (NSFW)

Miley Cyrus compaired her "Wrecking Ball" video to Sinead O'Connor's video "Nothing Compairs 2 U" video. Various publications asked Sinead O'Connor to comment to Miley's comments.

She wrote an open letter to Miley Cyrus. Unfortunately, it's too long to quote here, but it is an interesting read. Sinead makes a lot of sense in her letter, basically saying,

Nothing but harm will come in the long run, from allowing yourself to be exploited, and it is absolutely NOT in ANY way an empowerment of yourself or any other young women, for you to send across the message that you are to be valued (even by you) more for your sexual appeal than your obvious talent.
    For some reason, this reminds me of the song "Shoot It Out" by 10 Years. (Warning: The video is a bit disgusting.)
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

I always find it depressing that there's no option for a woman to want to exploit her own sexuality at the same time as her talent without her judgement being questioned, but it's ok for women who don't have talent to do the same.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm of the opinion that the music should stand on it's own two feet and the song should be popular because it's good, not due to a T&A video, but we've had decades of this creeping ever prevalent visuals over music that I just don't give music much of a chance now a days.

The local Wetherspoons had a music video a few years back, no audio so I never knew if it was good or not, but the visuals was the same woman or just dozens cloned into hundreds all wearing green 'sexy' band camp outfits with numerous instruments, I'm sure it got high rotation on music channels (when any of them want to play music) at the time, not because it is a good track, but teenagers had something to whack off to.

With regards to Miley I wouldn't know one of her songs if it hit me with a wrecking ball, I actively choose not to check out her Vevo page on YouTube and I don't listen to the radio, just what MP3's I have ripped from my CD collection, so I cant say that the wrecking ball song or the one where she twerked through the VMA's with that tongue that would make my vagina shut up quicker than anything (if it weren't for the fact I don't have one) are any good or not.

But if the song by itself falls flat, then it's shit.

I don't care much for Gaga on or off stage, she can dress like Marilyn Manson circa Mechanical Animals or a French aristocrat to her hearts content, or do a full set in drag.
      At least I know from her radio play that even if I thought her outfits were questionable at time (99%) those songs when just the audio are rather good.

But too much emphasis is put on the visuals for my liking, the more I see the less great the song seems to be.

Comment

Update

Miley Cyrus mocked Sinead O'Connor about Sinead's fight with mental illness, comparing her to Amanda Bynes. Basically, Miley basically said that we shouldn't take Sinead O'Connor because "bitch be crazy."

Sinead responded by saying that Miley's comments were injurious to her, Amanda Bynes, and anyone who suffers from mental illness. As someone who is getting treatment for mental illness, I absolutely agree. Just because someone battles mental illness doesn't mean that what we have to say is invalid.

Sinead O'Connor's Facebook page.
        Miley Cyrus Responds to Sinead O'Connor, Compares Her to Amanda Bynes, Shares SNL 1992 Photo - US Weekly
        Last edited by catcul; 10-04-2013, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Oh, there's a damn difference between empowerment and being "woman, hear me roar!" and then just being a god damn train wrecked two dollar whore.

You can be sexy and still be a lady and demand respect, or you can look like something that will do anything or anyone for a dollar, but try to label it as showing that you're a big girl now and "only God can judge!"

Whatever. I'm so disgusted by that little girl, if I had a chance to see her in person I'd probably pull what little is left of her nasty hair and put some fucking clothes on her.

Comment

She's following the vector of nearly every other Disney child star that made it big. Most of them have so little time to actually be children when they're kids, that the moment they become adults and can make their own choices, they go completely off the rails.

It's like "helicopter parenting: the aftermath" played out on the public stage.

That said, her comments back at Sinead were especially tasteless.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              She's following the vector of nearly every other Disney child star that made it big. Most of them have so little time to actually be children when they're kids, that the moment they become adults and can make their own choices, they go completely off the rails.

It's like "helicopter parenting: the aftermath" played out on the public stage.
              Actually, you could say the same thing about the entire entertainment industry.

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
                Actually, you could say the same thing about the entire entertainment industry.
                For the most part, probably. It's just that working for Disney is like having a Tiger mom of a helicopter parent.

Comment

Actually, Mara Wilson wrote about the problems child actors face growing up for Cracked.com.

Comment

Miley Cyrus Responds

Apparently, Miley Cyrus sent an open letter to Sinead O'Connor responding to Sinead's first open letter. Miley actually admits that she didn't read it past the first paragraph. Unfortunately, it's quite obvious that she didn't read it.

Miley's letter might be shorter, but it's incoherent and otherwise hard to read.

Comment

For a better counter-Open Letter, I suggest Amanda Palmer's.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/84774/am...ut-miley-cyrus
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Eh. I think people are taking it way too seriously.
                        The only reason people are calling her "slut" and "two bit whore"is because she's pop and well known AND had a drastic and intentional image change.

Lesser known groups like Die Form (NSFW) feature a large amount of nudity, sexual explicitness, and bizarreness. They don't (as far as I can tell) get lambasted for being sexist and whoreish. Nope, they're artists. But not very many people know who they are.

That's not even getting into the corseted and made up lady goth bands.
                        Heck, we don't even know for sure if she's really super sexually active. I've got a 20-something friend in the v-squad, and while she is sexual, she doesn't have sex.

Every damn time a woman is nude in a music video it's oh so scandalous.
                        Heck, I remember people calling Alanis Morsette a whore for her "Thank U" video. Her and every single other lead female vocalist that appears nude in a music video. However, if they're in the background they're clearly being used for objects.

My gender can't win for loosing. In pop we're either whores or clearly being used as sex objects. Sometimes we're whoreish sex objects.

So Miley's swinging around naked on a wrecking ball (I'm pretty sure there's some vulnerability metaphor in there) and Alanis is naked with random people hugging her in random places (also some metaphor), but that doesn't make them whores.

Neither, by the way, does Milieys bizarre burlesque-esque VMA thing.

Comment

Really this is NOTHING new.

Just remember back 20 or 25 years ago when Madonna did all her bumping and grinding clothes that were barely there on stage for the Blonde Ambition tour in 1991.

Anyone remember Madonna's Truth OR Dare backstage file from the same tour???? I remember her giving a Coke bottle a BJ during a real truth or dare game backstage. Also she warns her Father that the show get REALLY racy with a simulated sex scene of Madonna solo masterbating and having multiple flailing orgasms on bed at the end of the song Like a Virgin. I also remember the HUGE torpedo bra outfits she and her females dancers wore during the show.

Anyone remember Madonna's book called SEX (released sometime in the late 1990's. Photos of Madonna nude or almost nude in various PUBLIC locations.

Now I CAN remember the video of Justify My Love is of her getting it on FFM and/or masterbating in a hallway in some really skimpy outfit voyerurism and some other stuff. That video was banned from MTV at the time.

Anyone seen a live Cher show in the last 20 years or so??????? You could make a small sized handkerchief with the small amount of material she was wearing ( or not wearing).

THis is REALLY OLD stuff and yet it seems to still cause a ruckus.
                          Last edited by Racket_Man; 10-08-2013, 08:48 AM.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                            The local Wetherspoons had a music video a few years back, no audio so I never knew if it was good or not, but the visuals was the same woman or just dozens cloned into hundreds all wearing green 'sexy' band camp outfits with numerous instruments...
                            off topic, but that song is destination calabria. NSFW video.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFJJ77w2nA
                            it's not pop or anything. it's dance/ club music. kinda falls under it's own category, and is often hyper sexual (satisfaction, put your hands up for detroit, call on me, all fairly popular club songs that are highly sexual). it's not music or videos designed to be played beyond the clubs, but sometimes they cross to the pop scene, like LMFAO did.

edit:

i went back and read miley's reply and OMFG that was funny. seriously, the sarcasm was coming off that in waves. i get that it seems incoherant, but it really sounds like all the random sex and drug references were just mocking sinead's tone about miley ho-ing herself out by being nude.

i think people freak out about this because, in their minds, she's still 13-year-old hanna montana. but she's in her 20's, and no more wild than any former disney kid before her. frig, it's the same as when christina agulera hit her "dirty" phase.
                            Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM. Reason: sp.
                            All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                            X