No announcement yet.

Youtube requiring google plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure whether this is better added here or as a new thread, but Huffington Post has pulled a mean trick. It's not just that you now have to use your Facebook name to comment there; you're presented with the option of never commenting again *or* having BOTH your Facebook name and your old username appear on every post you've ever made. Tying them together publicly. Putting the real (or at least FB-real) name on *new* posts, or even *replacing* the old name with the new on older ones, is one thing, but deliberately, visibly, and obviously tying the names together for all the world to see is just wrong.

Fortunately, I'm registered there with my hyhybt address and not with the one tied to my FB account, so I can just log out and sign up fresh, but still.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

^

It doesn't surprise me they'd pull something like that. They called the critics of youtubes latest changes "melodramatic". I just don't get why they do things like this. It's so unnecessary, so contrary to what the customers want, and yet they still act like they're listening to people when they make these changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
        Ever since google took control of youtube, they have been messing with the site. Remember when they were pushing for you to use your real name? You'd get a random popup that wouldn't go away until you gave a reason for not wanting to use your real name..
        Eh, I use one of my gaming MMORPG toon names, has a first name and a common surname. Passed their requirements with what sounds like a bog standard American name. It matches an email for gaming, works for me. Goes along with a google+ account in that same name.

Comment

^

That could explain why I see people like "Barack Obama" commenting on youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
            ^

It doesn't surprise me they'd pull something like that. They called the critics of youtubes latest changes "melodramatic". I just don't get why they do things like this. It's so unnecessary, so contrary to what the customers want, and yet they still act like they're listening to people when they make these changes.
            It's an attempt to get something most of their readers probably do want: more civil conversation. They're choosing the easy way out, because moderation is expensive and it's a lot cheaper and faster to scare people with the possibility of people they know from elsewhere reading their posts, even if that often includes posters who are already well-behaved but don't necessarily want everyone knowing their views on certain topics, or how much time they spend on comment boards, or any number of other things.

Come to think of it, it's entirely consistent with the more technical changes they've made to their commenting system lately, where legitimate but minor complaints about the old system have been "fixed" in obnoxious ways.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
            X