Barbie to appear in Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
    there's a diffrence between engaging in a topic and starting one. i said that "you brought kids and body shape into it though... before that it was about the doll being in SI"
    Its not starting a new topic, it's IN the article from the op. I brought it up and said it would be easy to fix and has been fixed in other dolls, and you tried to defend it. First by dismissing them as just dolls and second by trying to argue there was major technical limitations. The latter of which is a moot point in the face of more realistic dolls that were made specifically because of Barbie's unrealistic image.

So, again, I don't understand why you are defending this nor moving the onus to the parents.

walmart.ca has the beach-set barbies starting at 5 bucks, and the mariposa style line at around 10 bucks. the career dolls at around 16 and it goes up from there. i also checked prices. i also said nothing about GI Joe's pricing, i said that "barbies are low-range for what you can buy in a store" the only stuff cheaper are the generics.
    Naked ass accessory less on clearance Barbie, yes, I see that. I can't really compare anything to that because there is no beach party Snake Eyes ( Although there should be ). >.>

You've been directly comparing action figures and fashion dolls as part of your argument, so yes that's going to lead to comparing the costs involved. Because again, your argument was that there are technical limitations involved. My argument is that the limitations are negligible and moot in the face of the severe problem.

i think it was an anniversary thing. and barbies from the 90's had worse bodies than now, so when you mentioned the pyramid on a stick back on page 2 i figured you were talking about the 90's barbie. which makes sense, that's the one you and i probably grew up with. if we wanna talk about 2000's and up barbies, they have changed her body quite a lot from the triangle on a stick.
    I was referring to 90s Barbie, yes. I also pointed out the 2000 and up Barbie's linked a picture of the more modern bodies. So way ahead of you there. -.-

"it's a big reason as to why decent action figures boast a zillion articulation points. you need them to compensate for the muscles of the figure"
    and as I pointed out, the only additional articulation points a modern quality GI Joe has over Fashionista Barbie are basically double knee joints and ball joint ankles for wider stances. Otherwise they're built on the same articulation points. In fact GI Joe has been borrowing a few pointers from Barbie in that regard by adding a ball jointed torso and wrists.

So thats is not a "zillion" and the only one you could argue is compensating for bulk is the double knee joint. However, you likewise pointed out double knee joints are an issue on thin dolls as well. So that's also kind of moot.

second post on the joint issue:
    "and i never said ball joints didn't make motion better.... i said that you need thin limbs for a decent range of motion, or add in extra joints."
    "when you get to torso joints, it gets even more tricky. if you don't have a slimmer middle piece than the waist and bust joint it can limit posing quite a bit"
    and as I pointed out, you don't have to add extra joints. Range of motion may suffer a bit, but that's realistic if you compare a bodybuilder to yoga teacher Barbie. Its also a really small price to pay to reduce Barbie's impact on a child's development.

"fashinonistas have a shoulder, elbow, wrist. and those are set up as post-and-ball. any extra motion of the post in the socket is what seems to give them a greater range, but it's flawed because they can't bend their elbow as much, the arm itself gets in the way. "
    Are you referring to the 90 degree angle on a ball joint? Is that what this is about? That's hard to overcome in general. Even with a vinyl/wire you're putting undo stress on the joints. Its certainly not a limitation a little girl is going to give a shit about on her Barbie doll though.

"GI Joes with the limited articulation you posted are also shitty as fuck posers and have the odd triangle-shape torso, like a barbie. you are validating what i'm saying. that the more joints the chunkier (and wonkier) things are made, the less joints the skinnier. "
    and as I said before, I did not post any GI Joes. >.>

i aso don't get this distinction you made between a ball and a hinge joint back on page 2.
    I apologize for not using the correct terminology then. I was referring to to a joint like the old GI Joe knee joints. Where its basically just two sticks connected by a nail for lack of a better visual. So it can only sit and spin, but not rotate in the socket. So to speak.

to your second post:
    I will refer you to Khelderson there so I don't just retread the same territory.

Comment

Kheldarson:

i'm not saying that images don't affect kids. i'm saying we can't blame JUST the images. a doll is JUST a doll, a drawing is JUST a drawing. any influence we take from it is how people REACT to those dolls and drawings. is it really that barbie is skinny, or is it that the doll is skinny, and mom hates not being skinny, and aunt celia says how she wants to look like this girl that looks like barbie on the TV and grandma teases me for chubby baby fat.... etcetc! it's not JUST the doll.

we cannot negate parental and personal responsibility to teach the difference between fantasy and reality, between ideal body images and those that are unrealistic. parent's jobs is to limit, explain and teach about things like body image. when we cry out against something in media we don't like and how it may fuck up kids, often parental influence is ignored. and it's freaking crap.

really. it feels like i'm bashing against a brick wall in both the other thread and this one, where ya'll keep saying "media bad" and i keep saying "you can't blame just media, parents are a more important part of the problem" and getting met with "media bad!"

gravekeeper: i give up. this back and forth has gotten pointless. i can reiterate over and over how needing to bulk up a doll while keeping it from essentially smacking itself would require better, and possibly ugly looking joints, and you won't see why that's an issue with a fashion doll, why you don't want fashion dolls looking like GI Joes. so i give up. you win, you're right. whatever. it's not worth the headache.
      the only thing i will respond to is the price thing again. next time you're in a store compare the joints on the cheapest GI Joe and the cheapest barbie you can find. you will see how many less the barbie has.
      Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 02-15-2014, 11:18 PM.
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Kheldarson:

i'm not saying that images don't affect kids. i'm saying we can't blame JUST the images. a doll is JUST a doll, a drawing is JUST a drawing. any influence we take from it is how people REACT to those dolls and drawings. is it really that barbie is skinny, or is it that the doll is skinny, and mom hates not being skinny, and aunt celia says how she wants to look like this girl that looks like barbie on the TV and grandma teases me for chubby baby fat.... etcetc! it's not JUST the doll.

we cannot negate parental and personal responsibility to teach the difference between fantasy and reality, between ideal body images and those that are unrealistic. parent's jobs is to limit, explain and teach about things like body image. when we cry out against something in media we don't like and how it may fuck up kids, often parental influence is ignored. and it's freaking crap.

really. it feels like i'm bashing against a brick wall in both the other thread and this one, where ya'll keep saying "media bad" and i keep saying "you can't blame just media, parents are a more important part of the problem" and getting met with "media bad!"
        And I didn't say the parents didn't have a responsibility. In fact, I even said that parents should control what media comes into the house! You're the one who keeps shoving it ALL on the parents and saying media isn't the issue.

Well both are. You keep presenting one extreme; let me present the other.

I wanted to be Barbie. Not because of my mom (who, yes, showed me weight issues through her own weight struggle but only addressed my weight with me once), but because Barbie had friends. She had loads of friends! And when you're a lonely middle/ high schooler, seeing the pretty girls have all the friends in school, and on TV, and even in your play, that sends a message. And that wasn't something my mom could fix or keep me from seeing and internalizing. Because even if she limited my TV time, you still see it in the stores, in the covers of magazines and books, in what your peers talk about.

So, yes, parenting is important. But it can only counterbalance so much. That's where the discussion of media comes in. And that's why, as ridiculous as Barbie being in SI is, it's also disconcerting. It's outright declaring her look a desired sexual look by placing her among other desired sexual looks. That sends a message.
        I has a blog!

Comment

i get where your coming from. and i'm not saying it's all on the parents. i'm saying parents have the ability to control their kids in their own home. if you limit the exposure to things to be only what they run into outside the home, instead of having them live in an enviroment saturated with the images, it does reduce the impact. if you don't buy the shit, the kids will be absorbing the images less.

and you said yourself, you didn't want to be barbie because of her appearance. you wanted to be barbie because of her having friends. that was the desire. granted, seeing that she is pretty and pretty girls make friends is there. she's also depicted as friendly, smart, and overwhelmingly kind. if barbie was a she-bitch that had harpy friends would you have still wanted to emulate her?

Comment

i get where your coming from. and i'm not saying it's all on the parents. i'm saying parents have the ability to control their kids in their own home. if you limit the exposure to things to be only what they run into outside the home, instead of having them live in an enviroment saturated with the images, it does reduce the impact. if you don't buy the shit, the kids will be absorbing the images less.
            Yes and no. They still have schools and friends and other relatives. My own home was fairly limited in media exposure and it still had an effect.

and you said yourself, you didn't want to be barbie because of her appearance. you wanted to be barbie because of her having friends. that was the desire. granted, seeing that she is pretty and pretty girls make friends is there. she's also depicted as friendly, smart, and overwhelmingly kind. if barbie was a she-bitch that had harpy friends would you have still wanted to emulate her?
            Your question at the end is mostly a red herring. She wouldn't sell being depicted as that. Ergo, she wouldn't be on market to be emulated.

And while in the recent lines and movies they've been trying to emphasize those character traits, those aren't the traits I remember being portrayed growing up. It was her perfection being sold. And, to me at least, that's a dangerous fantasy to be selling in the long run. Especially paired with other media.
            I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
              And while in the recent lines and movies they've been trying to emphasize those character traits, those aren't the traits I remember being portrayed growing up. It was her perfection being sold. And, to me at least, that's a dangerous fantasy to be selling in the long run. Especially paired with other media.
              huh. well i'm not sure what age group you are in, i'm around the 30 mark. and i remember her being marketed as the gal that can do anything, and that had tons of friends she got along with because of it. i have a friend that, then and now, is an avid collector of barbie sets. and i remember rock band equipment, space suits, jungle adventures, and yeah the fashion shows too. then again, that's how we chose to play with the toys, as objects of storytelling. we also were older before being allowed to play with them.
              ( i only had a handful of generic ones myself. they usually ended up the shaved head, decapitated kind. legos were more fun lmfao)

Comment

I'm probably a bit younger then. And Barbie was used for storytelling too for me. And I would still give her to any daughters I may have (think Mom still has mine at her house). I just recall my response to her commercials always being 'this is what is supposed to be perfect is'.

What I really want, with this and the other thread, is to see a recognition from our media of the messages they send and a willingness to shape that message to something that is truly more empowering and accepting of women by celebrating all our shapes and walks of life.
                I has a blog!

Comment

gravekeeper: i give up. this back and forth has gotten pointless.
                  Heh, I was one or two more posts away from saying the same thing. We're just going in a circle. I don't think we were ever quite on the same page to successfully discuss this to begin with. We're both, unsuccessfully, attempting to describe the intricacies of objects neither of us can really show each other. We would have to be in the same room with a wide assortment of dolls in what would be a rather dubious sounding forum of debate.

I apologize for any frustration caused.

the only thing i will respond to is the price thing again. next time you're in a store compare the joints on the cheapest GI Joe and the cheapest barbie you can find. you will see how many less the barbie has.
                  Truth be told they're just as shitty or shittier if you look at same size figures at the bottom rung. I was a kind of surprised given the 90's figures and the modern smaller figures. Its never a good thing when the ability to stand up is listed as a feature on the box. >.>

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                  Barbie as a character is pretty recent, yeah. She's always been the ideal and even with her recent characterization she still has all of that. Note the use of the word "Dream" in everything. It's the Dreamhouse or the Fairy Princess Castle, etc. Even her bathroom is the Glam Shower apparently.

Even the dolls aimed at "inspiring" girls ( IE the ones with jobs ) Barbie is still depicted as being concerned about how she looks while doing said job than doing said actual job. Not even astronaut Barbie is safe anymore. Its bad when the 1965 version of a given Barbie looks more progressive than the current one. -.-

Thanks to checking the current Barbie product lines I am now aware that Mattel thinks "Fab-a-cadabra" is a word. Thank you magician Barbie.

I am also now aware of the human tragedy that is the Stacie doll. That thing should be crawling out of an open grave. >.>
                  Last edited by Gravekeeper; 02-16-2014, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Heh, I was one or two more posts away from saying the same thing. We're just going in a circle. I don't think we were ever quite on the same page to successfully discuss this to begin with. We're both, unsuccessfully, attempting to describe the intricacies of objects neither of us can really show each other. We would have to be in the same room with a wide assortment of dolls in what would be a rather dubious sounding forum of debate.

I apologize for any frustration caused.
                    no worries. though a room full of dolls and discussion on their traits is.. sadly.. most of my hobby nights online.
                    there's actually someone i talked to on a forum before that had a comprehensive, picture list of almost every doll out there. i just can't find the damn links anymore, it got so buried.

(though, sadly, if you ever did want that debate, give me a few more years and i'll probably have a bigger 1/6 collection... though be fucked if i ever try and drag that with me on a train. maybe i'll send them with my inlaws next time they head out to your coast to see the broinlaw. j/k :P)

and yeah.. oldschool everything used to be better. look at the lines of things like easybake over. they used to be in a mix of colours. now it's a pink and purple pukefest.
                    ikea shit it awesome though. my niece has a kitchen and toolbench, both in reds, blues and wood colours. nice to see them both in a generic colour pallet.
                    (also, omfg you have not seen a toddler move so fast as when she saw she had her own tools just like daddy.)
                    Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 02-16-2014, 03:07 AM.

Comment

huh. well i'm not sure what age group you are in, i'm around the 30 mark. and i remember her being marketed as the gal that can do anything, and that had tons of friends she got along with because of it.
                      I remember her being marketed as essentially living the ideal dream. The tons of friends were there just because hey, its the ideal dream. The fashion aspects always got more air time than her career endeavours. Unless those endeavours could be cute and/or fabulous.

Such as the tragic saga of veterinarian Barbie. Who even now isn't allowed to be called veterinarian Barbie. If you recall "Pet Doctor Barbie". She's worked her way up to Kitty Care Vet Barbie but that seems to be as close as she's going to get. Also, Kitty Care Vet Barbie inexplicably has a slide that deposits new born kittens into a basket. Kitty Care Vet Barbie is being investigated by the SPCA. >.>

legos were more fun lmfao)
                      Here, we agree.

Comment

no worries. though a room full of dolls and discussion on their traits is.. sadly.. most of my hobby nights online.
                        there's actually someone i talked to on a forum before that had a comprehensive, picture list of almost every doll out there. i just can't find the damn links anymore, it got so buried.
                        Best one I found that I was using for images ( you found it a few posts later ) was the one that had the history of the body's evolution.

(though, sadly, if you ever did want that debate, give me a few more years and i'll probably have a bigger 1/6 collection... though be fucked if i ever try and drag that with me on a train. maybe i'll send them with my inlaws next time they head out to your coast to see the broinlaw. j/k :P)
                        I think I still have a bag of old GI Joes somewhere. I had a big figure/model phase in my early twenties. Now I would be content if I could just find a little Drossel figure for my desk without paying $200 for it to Amazon.

Comment

Such as the tragic saga of veterinarian Barbie. Who even now isn't allowed to be called veterinarian Barbie. If you recall "Pet Doctor Barbie". She's worked her way up to Kitty Care Vet Barbie but that seems to be as close as she's going to get. Also, Kitty Care Vet Barbie inexplicably has a slide that deposits new born kittens into a basket. Kitty Care Vet Barbie is being investigated by the SPCA. >.>
                          yeah. i think if the niece ever experiences an interest in barbie dolls i might fork out the extra cash to get her themed ones. at least then they are less.... pink.
                          besides, who doesn't want an adam west ken doll?!? http://www.barbiecollector.com/shop/...ken-doll-y0302
                          (couldn't resist, my barbie friend just posted this on FB)

I think I still have a bag of old GI Joes somewhere. I had a big figure/model phase in my early twenties. Now I would be content if I could just find a little Drossel figure for my desk without paying $200 for it to Amazon.
                          i admit i had to google that. but wow, adorable figure. it might be worth trying the japanese e-bay site. it can be a bit more reasonable than the canadian one sometimes, depending on what you're hunting for.
                          Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 02-16-2014, 03:24 AM.

Comment

besides, who doesn't want an adam west ken doll?!? http://www.barbiecollector.com/shop/...ken-doll-y0302
                            (couldn't resist, my barbie friend just posted this on FB)
                            Adam West Batman is surprisingly metrosexual.

i admit i had to google that. but wow, adorable figure. it might be worth trying the japanese e-bay site. it can be a bit more reasonable than the canadian one sometimes, depending on what you're hunting for.
                            Its from a Disney show that only airs in Japan called Fireball. They're just little 1-2 minute episodes, but they're rather amusing. They're all on Youtube. The show is sort of absurdly dark for Disney, given that its post apocalyptic after a 20,000 year war between humans and robots. ;p

Comment

I think I still have a bag of old GI Joes somewhere.
                              You couldn't have played with them very much. The elastics in them went brittle really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                                You couldn't have played with them very much. The elastics in them went brittle really fast.
                                Okay, so I have an old bag of survivors around here somewhere. >.>

I use to have a monstrous collection of GI Joes and vehicles. Broken elastics were a common battlefield injury. Typically resolved by a transplant from another GI Joe I didn't like as much. You could fudge them a bit if you could find small enough elastics to replace them. Though it was never quite as tight as the original ones.

By far the most common injury was broken thumbs though. Arm transplants could be done, provided there was a relatively matching donor. Really you could pretty much mix and match your own GI Joes if you had a screwdriver. But that fate was usually reserved for Cobra. Because screw them.

Comment

Working...
                                X