Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holocaust movie gets PG-rated because of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holocaust movie gets PG-rated because of...

Violence? Gore? Explicit language? NOPE!

Let House, MD introduce:

https://twitter.com/hughlaurie/statu...716096/photo/1

Words fail me.

Smoking oh noez!!

Though I don't know what kind of sexual elements there could be in a movie about the holocaust. Do I want to know?

Comment

I have a feeling if it weren't for the other elements ("thematic elements" whatever that means, and "sexuality") they'd probably let it go with a PG rating. I do find it funny that, ever since the Joe Camel controversy, how much smoking has been taboo in films, especially considering Mr. Potato Head having had a pipe, Disney characters used to be portrayed as smoking (often by a villain, but in the case of The Great Mouse Detective, by the hero). Remember those old "cigarette candy" things that were basically sticks of sugar, but packed in boxes that greatly resembled cigarette brands?

Things have changed a lot in the last 20 years for smoking in general. Most have been good, IMO, but if a historical film that portrays one of the most violent events in modern civilization is getting censored due to portrayals of smoking, something's a little... off.

Originally posted by Rageaholic
      Though I don't know what kind of sexual elements there could be in a movie about the holocaust. Do I want to know?
      Don't you know? Every movie and show needs to have a sexual element to it nowadays. Otherwise, the audience will just lose interest.

Comment

I've been to Auschwitz and Birkenau. Part of the museum mentions that some female prisoners were kept as concubines and survived longer that way.

Legitimately, it could be worked in.

Rapscallion
        Last edited by Rapscallion; 04-10-2014, 07:42 AM.
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
          Don't you know? Every movie and show needs to have a sexual element to it nowadays. Otherwise, the audience will just lose interest.
          Either sex or violence. And there should be plenty of the latter in this film considering the subject matter...

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
          I've been to Auschwitz and Birkenau. Part of the museum mentions that some female prisoners were kept as concubines and survived longer that way.

Legitimately, it could be worked in.

Rapscallion
          Surprisingly not as bad as I thought (thinking of certain nazi exploitation films. Though even R might be too generous for those films).

Comment

What next? Will film adaptations of Sherlock Holmes automatically be barred from a "G" rating due to his pipe? How about Popeye The Sailor cartoons?

Comment

I recall some Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons that have been edited. Some of the cartoon violence was toned down and I think some racial stuff was also edited out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                I recall some Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons that have been edited. Some of the cartoon violence was toned down and I think some racial stuff was also edited out.
                Same goes for Tom & Jerry cartoons. Some of them have been butchered to smithereens.

Comment

I've got the original soundtrack release for Aladdin, before they changed the words to be more PC. It's always interesting to see how things are changed.

Comment

Working...
                  X