How to save money on the Steam Summer Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save money on the Steam Summer Sale

I've decided this year to only buy games where you get to the option to play as a female. This is based on the current e3 stuff and responses.

I really wish knee jerk reactions and stereotyping wasn't the norm for the gaming community and industry, I really do.

Comment

Dudes, if you check the comments on some of the blogger shared stuff, I am the one bitching the females out - every single mmorpg I play has females to play, mainly because the damned fanboi programmers cater to the guys playing who admit that they pick female toons so they have a nice ass to watch while they run - and the poor female characters end up with japanese lolita micromini skirts and bare midriffs ... I find it refreshing to find a company that doesn't cater to the damned fanbois with jigglejiggle tits and ass female toons.

Comment

Any mmorpg I play has female characters, and they usually have clothing/armour options that do not have them exposing mass amounts of skin. I am female and will usually pick a female toon every time. I don't really care one way or the other as the actual playability of a game is what matters to me - the game is shit to play but has awesome female characters I still won't play it. I've even played Leisure Suit Larry for the shits and giggles, starting with the original title back in the day...it was hilariously bad but still playable.

Comment

Originally posted by patiokitty View Post
          Any mmorpg I play has female characters, and they usually have clothing/armour options that do not have them exposing mass amounts of skin. I am female and will usually pick a female toon every time. I don't really care one way or the other as the actual playability of a game is what matters to me - the game is shit to play but has awesome female characters I still won't play it. I've even played Leisure Suit Larry for the shits and giggles, starting with the original title back in the day...it was hilariously bad but still playable.
          I actually have and original Liesure Suit Larry in the box, floppy disc =) Good brainless fun!

And I agree about playability - I have in the past been heavily involved in playtesting MMORPGs ever since I was CS for SOE in Everquest 1. I have done so much beta testing there are entire game companies I will not play because of the relative unplayability of their product. Well, I also dislike the really cutsey KAWAIIIIIII girlie cartoonish Japanese and Korean games. I was testing one for GPotato that was absolutely abysmal that has since been shut down [I understand they are coming out with something new.]

Comment

maybe it's just me, but i don't see the big deal in having females as playable characters.
            (and i'm a girl)

to me, it doesn't matter who the character i'm playing as looks like. what matters is the aesthetics, game play-ability, and the biggest thing: storytelling. if someone cares more about whose ass they're staring at then the game itself, then GTFO my hobby lol.
            and to me, that's a big part of it. you can harf me out for "no true scotsman"-ing if you like, but to me gamers GET it. they get that the game, the story, the action, is the point. that it's not about making sure you're playing something super-politically correct. they get that it doesn't matter that you're playing as a man, woman, child, monster, animal, or god. it's about playing something fun that lets you have a bit of escapism for a while.

(ranty part)
            to me, complaining that a game sticks to a male protaganist, when it fits the story, is silly.
            like, take assassin's creed. people bitch about male characters in that one. but if you pay attention to the story, when they start with a present-day male, you follow back in the paternal bloodline. when you have one male character present-day in ALL the games (till 4), it makes sense that all the internal playable characters are male. that's why the PSVita game has a female lead. it was a different present-day character and it was following the maternal bloodline.
            now people are complianing about unity not having female leads. but without knowing the story, having female leads may not make any dang sense. i mean, if all 4 players coming into the game are starting from a modern-day man, it makes sense they would all have male characters.
            plus, i stand by ubisofts explanation anyway. when adding female leads would double the costs and production time, in a time where their games are on a roll, it would put them behind too long. especially with other titles like watchdogs having launched. that's why the original plan to have female characters did get cut. it's not misogyny. they wanted to do it, but they have to cave to investors like any other corp.
            i think average people/ 'social justice warriors' just don't get what it takes to build such a sandbox game like AC. you have to voice every little potential dialogue, rebuild not only the characters but EVERY alt costume and appearance, reanimate all the cut-scenes, ugh it's a clusterfuck. and it's not something you can rush doing.
            they had more time when they were making brotherhood. that's why they have female characters in that one, as basic as they are. and maybe in the future they'll release an update, or a second game, with the females in it when they've had time to develop it.
            (/rant)

gotta run to work, so can't add more lol.
            All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

the thing is the multiplayer doesn't even have the option for female characters and there are certain very famous female assassins in that time period. Also it's more there is a concerted effort to exclude certain groups over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                the thing is the multiplayer doesn't even have the option for female characters and there are certain very famous female assassins in that time period. Also it's more there is a concerted effort to exclude certain groups over and over again.
                it was going to have a female option. it was in the original plans for the game. and it was cut due to time and budget constraints, not because of misogyny.
                as i said, other AC online-playable games do have female characters. but they had the time and the budget to do them.
                keep in mind that the original AC mutiplayers, you simply picked a character and went. in unity you're talking customizable characters, not just a one-shot template. it's a friggton more work, time and money to make.
                they're basically stuck trying to build an MMORPG style game on an RPG budget. stuff just has to give.

and sorry but AC is very far from excluding in it's character models. it may not always be the playable character, but it's very diverse in both genders and race as to the cast of characters that befit the varying time periods. NPC assassins are very varying in appearance, race and gender, not to mention non-assassin characters.
                heck even just the leads flip from middle eastern to italian to welsh, british then native american, all in one bloodline. first "spin-off' from desmond's line was a female african-american. liberation is a male african-american lead. if you venture into some of the other media (books, etc) they branch out into asia as well.
                frankly, kudos to them. they're one of the more diverse games i've ever played when it comes to the cast of characters.
                Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 06-16-2014, 03:15 AM. Reason: one particular typo annoying me

Comment

and some experts are stepping forward and saying it wouldn't cost as much as they make it out to, further it's assassin's creed, the amount spent on the game and all the different parts of it and you're tell me they couldn't afford to include a single female playable character?
                  http://briangefrich.tumblr.com/post/88481095140

You know I'll just let Jim Sterling speak for me. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ity-LIEversity

and honestly in general, maybe just maybe representing a few more demographics instead of having all the protagonists look the same, as some people I follow are starting to point out it's not even different white guys but the same white guys. voxlunch.tumblr.com/post/88628071753/steve

I got a lot of different games starring white guys I want some variety.

Call of duty figured it out:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/14/462...in-multiplayer

look it doesn't bother you, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with it not bothering you. It bothers me though and I'm curious to see what I can find when the summer sale rolls around.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                    and some experts are stepping forward and saying it wouldn't cost as much as they make it out to, further it's assassin's creed, the amount spent on the game and all the different parts of it and you're tell me they couldn't afford to include a single female playable character?
                    http://briangefrich.tumblr.com/post/88481095140.
                    again, it's not the adding one female character alone. then people would just be bitching at the "token female"
                    even if they don't have to mocap it. it's also having to redesign and animate all the alt-stuff. it's more than making a plug-in character.
                    and ya know what? i will take their word on it being production costs. because EVERY OTHER assassin's game with multiplayer has female characters.
                    http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki...CBH#Characters
                    http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki...ACR#Characters
                    http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki...III#Characters

and this one would have too. but they already spent 3 years building the game, and having to add in extra stuff would push the deadline back.
                    anyone that says it would take them a month or two to add them in, is full or shit. not with the quality they're striving for.

oh, and COD has a female in it (taking them, what, ten titles)? good to see that games that already HAD female multiplayer, like AC, helped set a trail.

edit: you're right, i have no problem playing "steve"s. so long as steve has a good story around him. i'd play a million steve games that were interesting VS one title that strove to include every minority but was a boring ass game
                    Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 06-16-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X