The Garth Brooks Fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Garth Brooks Fiasco

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 11:56 AM.

Well, it *does* have an immediate and obvious effect on the lives of hundreds of thousands of people, unlike, horrible as it was, the discovery of a stash of dead babies.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I think Ireland needs to be far far more ashamed of the fact it actually has 400,000 Garth Brooks fans.

Comment

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Let's see if I understand it. Venue was renovated, with the plans being subject to the condition that they'd only get automatic permission for one concert per year. They got an agreement with the local residents to allow 3 concerts per year. One year, they tried for a 4th, and it resulted in massive protests. This year, after holding their 3 concerts, they try for 5 more, and wonder why the locals are upset?

Time for the authorities to tell them "You've had your 3 for this year, the artist gave a 'my way or the highway' ultimatum in which he said zero was acceptable for him, we'll give him his zero concerts". Also time for the locals to tear up the agreement with the venue that allowed for 2 "bonus" concerts. After all, the venue has already broken it twice by trying to bring in more than the agreement allowed. Venue, enjoy your ONE concert per year in future.

Comment

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

so wait... this guy is being an entitled bastard, wanting 5 concerts even though it would mean a week of hell for the residents, and they didn't want it? And people are calling for the decision, reached after ( presumably) consulting with people around to be overturned?

Comment

I don't know the details who approached who originally about the concerts or who settled on the number 5 but this is his job and 3 concerts may not be worth arranging to have his entire production go to another continent. If they approached him and promised him 5 shows and 400000 people and then suddenly it became 3 and 240000 that means a lot less money that he'd get than originally agreed.

I don't know if I blame him for putting his foot down actually.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                    I don't know the details who approached who originally about the concerts or who settled on the number 5 but this is his job and 3 concerts may not be worth arranging to have his entire production go to another continent. If they approached him and promised him 5 shows and 400000 people and then suddenly it became 3 and 240000 that means a lot less money that he'd get than originally agreed.

I don't know if I blame him for putting his foot down actually.
                    Thing is, from the sounds of it in the OP; it was originally just going to be ONE concert to begin with. But it sold out so quickly, the promoter (probably talking to GB's folks to OK it), decided to add more and more and more concerts until tix sales slowed down. They may have also approached the city to unofficially OK it and got it at the time (assumably a city sub group just saw Euro signs and figured there would be no problems and cleared it); but when it came time to cross the T's and dot the I's, the crap hit the oscillator.

Comment

Comment

Comment

And I'll bet Ticketmaster still keeps all the fees!

Comment

I do feel for the people who live around Croke Park. No way in hell would I want to listen to 5 days of Garth Brooks.

Why didn't they just put on a few concerts out in Punchestown? That's where AC/DC played in 2009 (where I was lucky enough to be a few metres from the stage. ).

It is big enough for all the fans. He can do 2 or 3 shows and still sale the same amount of tickets. And it means the people that live around Croke Park don't have to hear him or put up with all the other rubbish that comes with the concerts.

And yes I know it is a bit of a hike, but they had the buses worked out pretty well when the AC/DC concert ended. And there were a million and one taxis waiting around O'Connell street to take everyone the rest of the way home.

Garth get his money, concert promoters get their money, fans get to cough up their money to see him. And if it rains, like it normally does in Ireland, they get a proper country experience with lots of mud.

Comment

Working...
                            X