Hogwarts is a terrible school.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
    Then again, an implication I got from Harry Potter was that some people might be gifted with future-seeing, and stuff like Astrology/Tea Leaves might be just a way to focus that sight.
    I also think that a grasp at basic Astronomy (aka the same stuff that Muggles would study) would give you some important skills in Potion-making - knowing that a specific herb is more powerful when collected as two (or more) stars/planets align, or a potion is successfully brewed under one or several Moon phases would be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      The same question with other subjects: care of magical creatures and herbology are about animals and plants that are themselves magical...
      Because the school is for getting your Wizarding degree, and if you're not a wizard, you'd be attending some less-magical school. Actually, since most wizards end up with wizard children, and Squibs are not only rare but often treated poorly and thus they tend to get sent to regular Muggle schools.

Sure, you don't need to be a wizard to care for magical creatures and plants, but to be able to actually do anything with that knowledge, it would be a requirement.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I will also add, regarding muggle books, music etc; purebloods aren't as common as halfbloods and muggleborns, so it's logical that there are students who listen to muggle music and read muggle books. A good example is Dean, who supports West Ham football team and continues to do so all thru school. It's likely that a lot of the halfblood students and muggleborns share these things with their friends; it's only in Slytherin where purity of blood is valued that shunning of muggle music etc would happen.
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          I was always disturbed by part in the first book where the kids have to go into the forest as punishment. Because a forest that has 10 times more things that can kill you than a muggle forest is the perfect place for kids! :rollseye:
          It only takes one taipan to kill you.

Comment

I saw this video and thought of this video and thought of this thread.

Homeschooler at Hogwarts

Comment

Working...
            X