Youtube's new terms for artists and their music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube's new terms for artists and their music

...Well, the music/uploads are the artists as long as they comply, anyway. It seems Google/YT has been springing some (possibly) onerous new terms on content providers -- don't like the terms? "Oh, that's cool; we'll just keep the ad money we would have otherwise been paying you, and block your existing channel." Also, they've reportedly been demanding that journalists who report on the subject retract their headlines.
    "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
    "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

I'm notably skeptical of this, as non-negotiable contracts are actually illegal in many jurisdictions, of which California is notably one.

Also, to be valid at all, a contract must provide benefits to both parties.

Without a copy of the contract in question, and based on how little I can find regarding this that doesn't originate with Keating herself, I'm not sure how much is truth and how much is misunderstandings.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      I'm notably skeptical of this, as non-negotiable contracts are actually illegal in many jurisdictions, of which California is notably one.

Also, to be valid at all, a contract must provide benefits to both parties.

Without a copy of the contract in question, and based on how little I can find regarding this that doesn't originate with Keating herself, I'm not sure how much is truth and how much is misunderstandings.
      Well, thing is Youtube did the exact same thing last year when it tried to force independent record labels to sign on to this service ( or else have their content blocked ) and similarly found themselves embroiled in shit when it came to light.

So this is the same shit on an easier to bully target.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        a contract must provide benefits to both parties.
        To which, YT will probably give the same response (albeit slightly more valid) that cheapskates use on freelancers to try and get free stuff: "You'll get free publicity!"
        "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
        "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

reviewer JonTron got ads pulled from one of his youtube videos(birdemic review), he emailed them proof he had permission to do the review(from ALL the birdemic crew), they still said "nope valid copyright issue, dispute again and we'll block"
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

There's always Dailymotion... In fact, youtube could find people choosing to leave them rather than submit to their draconian policies which would be kicking themselves in the nuts, as it were, if they end up with less people wanting to be part of their thing.
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Does daily motion do the same ad revenue sharing thing?

Comment

Working...
              X