anime question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anime question

Do kids regularly live on their own in Japan?
    How do so many people in anime have money without having jobs?

Krillin: "Holy crap! This city is huge!"
    Gohan: "…and this island is so tiny! What do these people do here?"
    Krillin: "Apparently prostitution is legal."
    All: "Ohhh…"
    Piccolo: "…so the prostitutes."
    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

I'm guessing the same reason so many characters in other countries' fiction also have either money with no jobs, or way more money than their jobs would reasonably provide.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
        Do kids regularly live on their own in Japan?
        How do so many people in anime have money without having jobs?
        A) Parents are inconvenient and difficult to write when you're writing high school schlock.
        B) How do so many people in American tv shows with "regular" jobs afford 1200 square foot condos on the 50th floor in downtown Manhattan/LA? -.-

Comment

look there's a difference between unrealistic rent/salary and outright not having a job. Like I'm watching Stein's Gate right now and the two main male leads don't have jobs nor ever mention parents.

Comment

look there's a difference between unrealistic rent/salary and outright not having a job. Like I'm watching Stein's Gate right now and the two main male leads don't have jobs nor ever mention parents.
            Wait, you're watching Stein's Gate and *that's* the part that's bothering you as unrealistic? -.-

Comment

This argument was made with King of Queens ...they ended up saying there's no way the couple could afford to live in Queens on their salaries.

Comment

I have a friend on his way to Japan as we speak, or I'd ask him.

That said, remember that, if I recall, Stein's Gate is a sequel. So it's possible something is explained in the sequel.

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                Wait, you're watching Stein's Gate and *that's* the part that's bothering you as unrealistic? -.-
                The rule for a sci-fi/fantasy thing is "Everything's real unless told otherwise." Imagine if, in Buffy, for instance, Willow, Buffy, and Xander all lived on their own, despite being somehow able to go to highschool and living generally middle-upper-middle class lives. At no point did any of them mention having a family. Since Sunnydale is SUPPOSED to be in a world otherwise like our own, that would strike us as extremely unrealistic. But with the monsters, well, we were told upfront that was a part of it, so that doesn't seem unrealistic. It also seems more unrealistic to me that DNA could be transferred by electricity, than that there's a shapeshifting thousand year old psychic alien that looks human, and is fighting a bunch of extremely mutated jellyfish space-nazis in power armor. Because it's unrealistic to our reality, not to theirs. We're not given a reason to think that COULD happen beforehand.
                Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I know that in some of the shows I've watched, the parents rent a small place for the kid/s, and in others, they've had the characters discuss working or an allowance.

Unless the financial situation of the kids in question is part of the plot, it's generally just sort of handwaved away.

One of the shows we're watching right now, My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, has what appears to be the protagonist and his sister living on their own, but an offhand comment by the sister in the second season indicated that they live with their family, but their family is just never at the home and the kids mostly take care of themselves.

I get the impression that Japan has a lot of 'latch key' type situations.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

ok Naruto, parents are dead and unknown. who took care of him until he was old enough to live on his own and why does he no longer stay with them?

Comment

ok Naruto, parents are dead and unknown. who took care of him until he was old enough to live on his own and why does he no longer stay with them?
                      Naruto's parents are just plain bot hdead, actually. But anyway, he lived in the orphanage, got kicked out (people thought he was the Kyuubi) and after that, he was about as old as some active-duty shinobi have been, ( Itachi was something lie 7 when he reached jonin rank...) so it can be assumed Naruto was old enouhg to live by himself- especially since he recieved a stipend from the village due to being an orphan.

seriously though, fiction very rarely deals with parents.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post

Naruto's parents are just plain bot hdead, actually. But anyway, he lived in the orphanage, got kicked out (people thought he was the Kyuubi) and after that, he was about as old as some active-duty shinobi have been, ( Itachi was something lie 7 when he reached jonin rank...) so it can be assumed Naruto was old enouhg to live by himself- especially since he recieved a stipend from the village due to being an orphan.

seriously though, fiction very rarely deals with parents.
                        Almost. Lived in the orphanage and kicked out because he hosts the Kyuubi which is, to the villagers, as bad as being one. And given a stipend and basically supported by the Hokage/village until he began working as a ninja. Which was about age 13.
                        I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
                        X