"religious"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
    I don't really like to specifically say which religion I am part of online, just because I don't want people assuming I know everything about it. I do know some (of course) but I am not an encyclopedia, and I certainly can't speak for all members. I wouldn't expect that of anyone in any religion on my side of things.
    Now that's one thing about followers of organized religions that I will never understand. If X is a feature of religion A, and you identify as religion A, how can you not know everthing about X. To me that sounds like saying you believe in X through F without knowing what they are.
    I have a friend that is a devout christian, but sadly she knows jack squat about even the most basic aspects of christianity. I simply can't understand how she can call herself that branch of christianity.
    Of course I don't say that, but I still don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      Before I was done, even the atheists were busting on her for being an asshole bigot.
      Hey, hey. That "even" part is probably a bit more insulting than you meant.
      I can identify bigots with the best of them.

Comment

I understand what you mean, but no insult intended. On this board, busting on the Christian religion while not condoned, was not exactly frowned on by most to the members, either. Up until I made my point, there was a few snickers or nods of amusement from other people who hadn't thought the thing through, either.

A lot of the folks on that board WERE athiests who had been chased off from their Christian churches due to their church doing something stupid. I'm a Christian and even I know that that happens all too often.

All I meant was that people who normally would not be sympathetic to my point were when I laid it out like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
          Now that's one thing about followers of organized religions that I will never understand. If X is a feature of religion A, and you identify as religion A, how can you not know everthing about X. To me that sounds like saying you believe in X through F without knowing what they are.
          I have a friend that is a devout christian, but sadly she knows jack squat about even the most basic aspects of christianity. I simply can't understand how she can call herself that branch of christianity.
          How long has your friend been a Christian? All you have to do to be considered a Christian by most denominations is sincerely pray the sinner's prayer, at which point you become a baby Christian and are supposed to grow up by studying the Bible/attending church/other Christian things.

Comment

I think I get the wrong idea accross about me online, I will generally correct people when they use religious to mean christian, but the conversations actually don't come up that much. I will inform them that I am part of a fairly organized religion*, and no, I'm not christian or XYZ. If they wish to talk further, I'll tell them about what I believe.

*(I say fairly because we don't actually have temples or churches all over like Christians or other world religions do, but we do have a priesthood and a spiritual leader)

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
              How long has your friend been a Christian? All you have to do to be considered a Christian by most denominations is sincerely pray the sinner's prayer, at which point you become a baby Christian and are supposed to grow up by studying the Bible/attending church/other Christian things.
              Probably her entire life as something she just accepts without much thought.
              She was horribly ignorant about non-christians before she met me.
              She actually thought atheists couldn't be moral, roleplaying games were evil, and a whole host of other things that I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                Probably her entire life as something she just accepts without much thought.
                She was horribly ignorant about non-christians before she met me.
                She actually thought atheists couldn't be moral, roleplaying games were evil, and a whole host of other things that I can't remember.
                I can identify with this.

I actually know more about the Bible now than I did back when I was still a Christian. I'm not saying that I qualify for a Ph.D in Christian Theology, but I do know more about it now than I did back then.

Comment

Christianity is one religion that just asks its devotees to try to learn as much as they can, and do their best to follow the teachings of Christ. It doesn't demand you be an expert.

I don't think one needs to know absolutely everything about a religion to consider oneself a member.

Comment

Working...
                  X