Religion and hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion and hate

Religion is the second biggest cause of hatred, violance and conflict in the history of humanity. The only thing that has caused more conflict is the struggle for resources.

Look at the history of the middle east. The sands are washed red with the blood of the followers of a pleathora of dead gods. Why? Why kill and maim and put down and hate someone just because they talk to some other cloud than you do. Because they kneel instead of fold their hands, because they call their deity a goddess instead of a god. What is the point?

Speaking as an outsider to religion I find this sick disgusting and idiotic not to mention extremly foolish and wasteful. Religion was invented by humanity back in the way old ages because the superstituos people back then where ignorant of the way the world worked. Lightning coming from the sky was s sign of the anger of the gods, not just a build up of electrical charges. Someone got sick not from a virus or a bacteria but because they had a demon in them.

Why is it so difficult for the followers of what is supposed to be a god of peace to be able to live in peace with others who disagree with their beliefs? Starting the battle just because the person exists not because they themselves are under any sort of attack. Look at the Focus on the Family fascists. They call for boycotts, hate mail and action to be taken just because there is a homosexual character in a movie or tv show. Saying that it is an attack on christianity or moral people. As if anyone who is not a christian cannot have morals as well. What does it matter what consenting adults do with each other. You do not have the right just because you are a "christian" to be judgemental. Didnt you ever read the part of your bible judge not lest ye be judged? The quoran and book of morman also have relevant passages that say basically the same thing.

I personally can say that as a non-christian I have been the target of hateful attacks by christians. My car has been egged by christians. I have lost friends all because since I wouldnt bow down and kow tow to their beliefs and admit mine where wrong and theirs where the only right ones and change my life compleately and totally to live the way they said good people (read that as christian according to them as they are the only "good" people) should live.

I have found too many "christians" (and not just christians but I have dealt with more "christians" than any other *ism) who choose to be willfully bigoted intolerant closed minded people who think that their particular flavor of christianity is the only true one and all others are false and wrong and deserve to go to hell. That they have a divine right to tell others how to live their life and convert them by force if they will not listen to what they call reason. And then the fundies like that wonder why people wind up calling them our own version of the taliban.

I am not saying that all christians are like this. I am not saying that all religions are bad. They do serve a limited useful purpose as a social club for people who agree with each other to go and hang out. Just like any other social club that was invented by humanity. But to try and claim that there is a divine right to be superior to anyone else just because you belong to one particular club that calls itself *ism is just plain bogus. Unfortunately too many *ism followers havent realized this.

Just realize that because you follow one particular *ism does not mean that you are the only one allowed to have a belief. And even more importantly it does not mean that your belief is the ONLY correct one. Because how do you know that your belief is the only correct one? Do you have a personally signed and engraved plaque from the deity of your choice? No you dont. You have the word of your priest or your own interpretaion of the holy book of your *ism. Dont you think that they would be rather biased and single minded to defend the beliefs of that particular *ism and say that they are the only right one. I mean no one ever roots for the opposing team in a home game.

Sorry about the bit of ranting sound in the previous post. Been having some issues involving this attitude with people and needed to vent.

But seriously. People need to get it together over this,. I thought religions where supposed to be about doing unto others as done unto you and turn the other cheeck to use two from christianity? Instead protestants hate/disagree with catholics, the various denominations of protestant get bent and think their better than the other denoms, christians and muslims are oil and water for the most part, Jews have the whole market on guilt cornered (Though for a mainstream religion for the most part they are as a group pretty cool about things just it is a members only club),nobody understands the various "other" religions so the mainstream says their wierd cults and denigrates them or authorizes making fun of folks who follow them.

If someone is different or has a more open mind when it comes to sex or other thigns then the bible thumpers get their backs up about it and claim their god tells them to hate and insult and do worse to those heathens!

God has better things to do than listen and condone petty little BS like that folks.

Comment

As an agnostic (recovering catholic), I agree with pretty much all of what you said. The thing about this whole thing that gets me is that, according to a study at the University of Minnesota, atheists are the least trusted group in the U.S. With all of the things that people have done in the name of God, the people who don't believe in any higher power are viewed with scorn.

Comment

Yeah I've read that and encountered it a bit before. I find it very ironic and sad as well.

Comment

Hence, one of my favorite bumper stickers:

"Going to church makes you no more a good christian than going into my garage makes me a car!"

I've dealt with religious meanies from all religions - mostly at work. I've been damned by Christains, Jews, Muslims, and even other witches b/c they didn't like something about me. Even among other Witches there's the "my tradition is better than yours!" crap.

It's why I chose not to join a group ever. My spiritual path is for me and my Gods and no one else.
          "I never told my religion, nor scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed. I have judged others' religions by their lives, for it is from our lives and not our words that our religions must be read." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Luna stated:
            My spiritual path is for me and my Gods and no one else.
            You know that is one of the wisest and most intelligent thigns I have ever heard anyone say involving religion/spirituality ever. Now if only the rest of the world could be convinced of it.

Comment

Yeah, well my imaginary friend is better than yours! The summary of cross-religion debate.

Comment

Squall, I think you did a pretty good job of summing it up.

It seems like people lose all ability to think logically when it comes to religion. I too have lost friends over the issue. I have family members who would refuse to speak to me ever again if I came out of the "broom closet". I've received hate mail, nastygrams, and threats because of it. Hell, I've lost a job due to it (nothing could be "proven", but that's another tale for another time). It does seem that the highly conservative Christians are usually the ones most ready to get hateful over the religion debate; it always strikes me as ironic that these folks claim to be followers of an individual who advocated treating others as you would wish to be treated. Of course, I'm not saying that all Christians are like this. I think it's due to the fact that the narrow-minded ones are the most vocal. Many of the Christians I know are absolutely wonderful people; they choose not to discuss their faith unless asked directly about it, and they are respectful of other people's choices in the matter. It's just that, since they're not the ones doing things like holding up a "God Hates You" sign outside a soldier's funeral, they tend to remain sort of invisible.

People just seem to get stupid when faced with something they don't understand. Too bad we can't just smite them all with the Salmon of Wisdom.

Comment

Working...
                X