Fundamentalism/Literalism, why I think it's wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an absolute load of hogwash!!!

God wrote the Bible, (and the Quran.. and Torah), and every word that has ever been brought down to us from that day has been with his Divine Spirit in every instance of every copy.

God can do and say what He likes and it shall be true - and all things are possible to God, then there can be, by definition, no such thing as a contradiction. Because we are in the image of God, then we, too, are capable of living in apparent contradiction, but have faith that God understands those apparent contradictions. Satan is fooling all of you who may think otherwise to be drawn to his evil plans....

Well... someone had to disagree, didn't they?? (and I'm sure a couple of you expected it to be me ). I mean, this is Fratching... no good having a debate if no-one takes the other side...

How was my logic on the 'contradictions' bit??

Also, as was said, you get brought up with those beliefs, you believe them. Humans compare with what they are first brought into contact with... there is no pre-existing guide to say what they are first taught is true or not, and only comparison with anything after that may have an effect. How much of an effect is going to depend on just how much the person experiences those apparent contradictions (life v holy book/religion) for themselves.

The whole idea of fundamentalism is to believe in the face of apparent overwhelming evidence against... and that's called 'faith'. Yes, Satan is real, and Satan does try to fool people and lead them away from the true path... literally! So, anything that contradicts what your holy book is saying is, therefore, untrue. It does, actually, make a lot of sense. It only doesn't if you come at it from the other direction (ie, not brought up in it).
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
      Also, as was said, you get brought up with those beliefs, you believe them. Humans compare with what they are first brought into contact with... there is no pre-existing guide to say what they are first taught is true or not, and only comparison with anything after that may have an effect. How much of an effect is going to depend on just how much the person experiences those apparent contradictions (life v holy book/religion) for themselves.
      Then I am your counter-example.
      I was initially raised christian even going to sunday school... I just assumed they all liked telling stories. It was at that moment at five years of age that it struck me that most of the adults I had ever known were nuts. It never once occured to me that they were right and that all those impossible things they said were true. They obviously weren't.

My brain was wired atheist from birth.
      I had many discussions with my father, but even he eventually realised that I don't do religion.

Comment

Working...
      X