does it never end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does it never end

I think most of you know by now that I am most definitely not a fan of the LDS church (I like many LDS people, I've found most to be responsible and well meaning individuals, and I respect them, my beef is purely with church leadership).
    While reading the Tribune today (the only paper in the entire state that isn't a mouthpiece of prophet Thomas S Monson and his legislature) and found this article. I knew about the proxy baptisms... I knew the controversy... except I was stupid enough to believe the church leaders when they said the practice of doing proxy baptisms on behalf of famous people with no relation to the church was finished. How stupid was I to take them at their word... of course the practice continued, they are arrogant enough to believe they are doing the right thing so they'll continue doing the same damned thing just try to keep it secret... and guess what, secrets out now.
    It's no wonder so few religions are willing to assist the LDS church anymore. It used to be if you wanted accurate and complete genealogical research done you went to the LDS church for help... and if you gave them all the names you knew, they could help you with finding the ones you didn't... now I'd be afraid of giving names to them out of fear that it's research on grandpa today and tomorrow someone gets dunked on his behalf.

Why must a church with so many good people who are members be led by such vile men, that they would allow this practice (as well as all the other vile deeds they have done like guilting people into believing they weren't good mormons unless they supported prop 8)?
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

when first found out mormans baptized the dead, i thought that was disgusting, then i realized it was by "proxy"

i don't see the issue here (well, i can understand it somewhat). what's wrong with baptizing people who don't want it... it's like praying for people, right??

the more i type the more i understand you position, but it's not something i would campaign against. it's not like they're kidnapping people and throwing them in a river.

oh, and to your last paragraph
    Originally posted by smileyeagle1021
    Why must a church with so many good people who are members be led by such vile men, that they would allow this practice (as well as all the other vile deeds they have done like guilting people into believing they weren't good mormons unless they supported prop 8)?
    absolute power corrupts absolutely
    The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
    my brother's

Comment

While I really do see where Joe HX is coming from, I can really see where problems may arise! I suspect you don't see it as much (the same way that I don't) because of the nature of our beliefs, and that of the concept of souls.

Consider... a Jewish person's soul (in theory) will go to some Jewish form of heaven... until some egocentric Mormon official does a baptism 'in proxy'... and that soul is now considered Mormon - no longer Jewish... goodbye, enjoy the flames!! (or something like that)

Personally, I don't get it, but that's how certain 'believers' of certain religions will see it.
      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

I view this the same way I do when somebody tells me they're praying for me. Being an atheist, I don't really care if somebody prays for me or baptises me by proxy, as long as they don't announce it.

But I can understand if people who follow various religions get upset that somebody of a different religion is baptising people of their religion. Even without the "getting into heaven" part, it's an imposition of someone else's religion on someone who doesn't share their religion. It's one person or group infinging on the other person's religious freedom.
        "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
          But I can understand if people who follow various religions get upset that somebody of a different religion is baptising people of their religion. Even without the "getting into heaven" part, it's an imposition of someone else's religion on someone who doesn't share their religion. It's one person or group infinging on the other person's religious freedom.
          exactly... there's also a mentality, that I can understand fairly well, "grandpa didn't want to be a mormon when he had the chance when he was alive... why the hell would he want you to convert him now that he's dead"
          it's one thing when a family member is making that decision, but for a complete stranger to make that decision is rather presumptuous and arrogant.
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
          X