Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Exorcism?

Small Connecticut church places video of "gay exorcism" on YouTube

The elders of the church say the boy, who is at least 16-years-of-age, came to them for help, citing that he was dressing in women's clothing and didn't want to, the boy even collapsed in the church during a sermon.

Church says they've done nothing wrong.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

This is scary. I can understand if a person is confused about their sexuality but doing and exorcism or "casting the evil spirit out" is too much.
    "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

so, all I have to do to be straight is have a bunch of people bigger than me beat the crap out of me... oh if only I had known this a few years back... oh wait... it didn't work in 6th grade when my classmates did it... I wonder if it will work when a bully preacher does it */sarcasm
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

*sigh*

That's all I have to say.

I don't care if you're a jock, a priest, or whatever. If you're beating the crap out of a little kid to *fix* him for being gay... you should learn exactly what happens when a .45 finds your skull.

It's self defense, damn it.

Aside: Am I the only one who believes in pre-emptive self defense?
        All units: IRENE
        HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
          Aside: Am I the only one who believes in pre-emptive self defense?
          That view has gotten quite a few abused spouses off of murder charges, so I'll say definitely not the only one.

Personally I wonder how easy it is for gay teens to legally run away and divorce their parents because of such fears.

Comment

"We believe a man should be with a woman and a woman should be with a man," the Rev. Patricia McKinney told The Associated Press. "We have nothing against homosexuals. I just don't agree with their lifestyle."

Oh please...... I hate that line.

and I was proud of being from CT.....then shit like this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat View Post
              and I was proud of being from CT.....then shit like this happens.
              Sadly, when ever you get a group of ten or more randomly selected people chances are you will get at least two sickos.
              No place is safe, as even pacifistic group of budhists have devolved into fistfights.

Comment

Wait.. what the..???

Where are you people reading your stuff from??

Cos I can't see anything that says he copped a beating...

Now, I'm not a great fan of a lot of things that go on on this planet, and in the normal course of things, I'd say this is just silly... well, ok, I will... this is just silly!

But... if that's what the boy thinks, and that's what his 'mentors' (for want of a better word) think, then what's the problem with what they did? (other than, they've obviously got no idea what they're doing, and they're idiots, but that's par for the course when it comes to religions...)

(btw, I think I'll just add, much to the annoyance of some, that yes, I do actually believe such things can occur - so, who knows??)
                ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

If the kid asked for it, and the parents ok'd it, then no, the church did nothing wrong, they were simply complying with the wishes of the teen.
                  Slyt's right, no where did they say he copped a beating, the closest they saidto anything is that they had the kid in aa full nelson.
                  I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                  Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

That is true. Religion itself is not legally abuse no matter how street rat crazy.

Comment

It is possible to consent to be assaulted and beaten, so long as you're alive at the end of the day. Someone goes in and says "please beat the evil out of me," you're legally clear to do so. Morally, that's a bit different. I'd say that putting someone in a full-nelson headlock counts as assault. I mean, did they even try a different method? Counsellings? I mean, the article says they've done this to him THREE TIMES. Obviously it's not working. If he really wants to change, being able to talk it out would be better than ritual and assaults.
                      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Well, yes, that is true BJ. But, I can certainly envisage situations where a Full Nelson (or even half, quarter, thirds, 7/16ths even) may be appropriate...

Now, let's just pretend for a minute that there was a 'demon' possessing the kid (which, as I've indicated, I believe is at least possible - granted, very f***ing unlikely, but still... the sun just might explode tomorrow!)... trying to get the demon out is going to make it want to fight to stay in, so yes, it would make sense to lock the kid so he can't do damage.

'Assault' - yes. 'Beating' - no.

That's all.

But, the thing about religion is - people do what they really and truly believe is the 'right' thing for them to do.... (until someone points out the error of their ways, in such a way that makes sense to them).
                        ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
                          It is possible to consent to be assaulted and beaten, so long as you're alive at the end of the day. Someone goes in and says "please beat the evil out of me," you're legally clear to do so. Morally, that's a bit different.

Only in America.

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
                            Only in America.
                            Or any country that allows, say, a boxing match.
                            "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
                            A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

So, even if a person dies during an exorcism, it's still alright?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4107524.stm

Just wondering. Also, I don't have a link but one of my true crime books has a story about a woman who was ritually beaten and tortured over the course of several years to get out various "demons".
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X