Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One "true" church?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6289014.stm

This kind of thing always cracks me up. I've grown up under the other point of view, which is that of the crazy evangelicals, who think that the Catholics engage in "idol worship" and thus aren't Christian.
    Yeah, seriously, people think this way. And of course, they can't be bothered to GO to a Catholic mass to find out for themselves, or talk to a Catholic, but just take it on the word of others.

They both worship the same freaking God, for crying out loud. The Catholics just happen to do it with more flair.
    But for the Pope to come out with this sort of thing, and then to say that he's still "committed to talking with protestant leaders" is just ridiculous. They may still talk to you, but it won't be open, and it will only be cordially, at best.

I don't see the problem. Every religion I've come across (barring Buddhists) think of their particular faith as the only one to follow - everyone else is wrong. This is fairly typical of the way religion works.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Of course, but the Pope went out of his way to say that Protestant churches are "wounded" for not being Catholic. Protestants go out of their way to say that Catholics are idol worshipers, yet both camps go under the name "Christian" and both worship the same deity.

It just cracks me up that both think they are superior to the other, even though they really aren't all that different.

Comment

yeah that sort of egotistical elitism is one of the plethora of reasons I turned away from organized religion. Every "christian" church I've dealt with seems to think they are the one true faith and all the others are at best misguided and at worst false heathen pagens (especialy the one swho ARE Pagens )

Wonderful Public Relations department this pope has. Do him and Dubya share writers?

Comment

It's not just the christian denominations. It just happens that we're more exposed to them than others.

Rapscallion
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Very true. The Shia/Sunni schism is probably the second best known one.

Ah well. This pope is already old and crusty, I don't think he'll make as much of a mark as John Paul II, nor will he ever be as popular.

Comment

Oh, I don't know. He really ticked off the hardliner islamics, when they took something he said out of context. That amused me, especially the way he really didn't care until his cardinals got cold feet.

Seems to be a robust chap who is quite willing not to take crap. I'm rather looking forward to him showing other people that they can be offended and still live.

Rapscallion
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Yeah there is issues with many other religions. I guess christian popped out first as around here thats the ones I encounter the most. Also I have had the most personal trouble with them too.

As for the Pope. Well just becuase he is old doesnt mean he isnt able to still handle the job. And while he no doubt wont be as popular he will be a rock that the church will need to try and get themselves sorted out. How they come out on the other side of this is going to be interesting to see. But yeah he definately doesnt seem to be too bothered if he isnt popular but does what he thinks is right by the church.

Comment

Working...
                X