Hell Not Allowed in Catholic School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell Not Allowed in Catholic School

Well apparently something happened in the CS thread and this had to be brought here.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070709/D8Q961I83.html

Here you go.

Oh man, that's a sucky last name. Maybe not as sucky as Wank, though.
    But still, is that school superstitious or something? It's just a last name, for crying out loud. I'm glad they're getting publicly lampooned for that little number.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
      But still, is that school superstitious or something?
      It's a Catholic School.

So yes.

And I'm unaware of the law in Australia... But here it would be completely allowed. A Catholic School is a private institution and is allowed to deny attendance to anyone they want. Is it silly? Yes. Is it Asinine? Yep...

But not like Religion is known for basing their decisions on logic or rationale.

In all honesty, I think that it's better for the boy not to get in. As bad as Public Schools are in most areas (again, I don't know about Australia), at least they teach truth according to science, and not to religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Will-Mun View Post
        In all honesty, I think that it's better for the boy not to get in. As bad as Public Schools are in most areas (again, I don't know about Australia), at least they teach truth according to science, and not to religion.
        As someone who attended a Catholic grade school, I agree. They spent so much time preaching, and not enough time teaching. There simply wasn't much effort made in even *trying* to teach science classes. What effort they made was laughable--20 year old computers, ancient textbooks, etc.

Comment

Since they are a private school. They have all the right i n the world to deny anybody. But it was stupid for them to deny him, when the parents decided to have him use his actual last name

Comment

Originally posted by powerboy View Post
            Since they are a private school. They have all the right i n the world to deny anybody. But it was stupid for them to deny him, when the parents decided to have him use his actual last name
            Here in Canada, our Catholic schools get public funding, same as our secular public schools. I'm not sure why, because no other religious denominations get their schools funded. Might have been one of Quebec's demands for joining the confederation. All of their schools were Catholic at the time.

But I digress....my point is that because our Catholic schools get public funding, they are not allowed to turn any students away. Someone could walk in and say, "I'm a Satanist, but for some odd reason I still want to go to school here" and they have to let him in. Or lose their funding.

Makes for some odd situations. For example, the Catholic Church considers homosexuality a sin, and yet when a gay Catholic school student in Toronto (I think) wanted to bring his same-sex date to the school prom, they had to let him.

I have to assume that US Catholic schools are indeed private and receive no government funding?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              I have to assume that US Catholic schools are indeed private and receive no government funding?
              According to our Constitution Catholic schools (or any private religious school) CANNOT receive government funding... As we have something called separation of Church and State. So yes, ALL religious schools are private, and receive no Gov'ment funding.

But this is in Australia this school, I can only assume private schools work the same.

Comment

Actually, here private schools do receive some government funding. It's some proportion of the funding public schools get per student, and is occasionally the subject of heated debate in educational circles.

The intent is to ensure that even the poorer private schools are able to provide equivalent education to the public schools.

Comment

Working...
                X