Hell Houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell Houses

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallo_he.htm for some info.

Opinions? Feelings? Anyone been to one? Discuss.
    Help a friend!

http://somethingpositive.net/sp10042006.shtml

going through until

http://somethingpositive.net/sp10192006.shtml

Actually sums up my feelings fairly well. Hell Houses = run by dumbasses.
    Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Well, everyone's got the right to be abysmally tacky and make jackasses of themselves in public.

I'm sure they keep their church memberships down to a manageable number, too.

I would just hope the horribly misguided idiots who put these things on are being honest about what they are upfront. Although I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

These "Hell Houses" sounds like an interesting way to evangelize... Although it would be best if they left their customers to think about it, perhaps with a brochure, rather than expect them to accept Jesus on the spot.
        The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
        my brother's

Comment

Curse you Broom! You beat me to it!

Comment

There is also an episode of King of the Hill with one.

Comment

Originally posted by joe hx View Post
              These "Hell Houses" sounds like an interesting way to evangelize....
              See, you are using the word "interesting" where I'd use the word "horribly screwed up and doomed to fail."

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid
                you are using the word "interesting"
                Yeah, I guess it would fail, and my proposed brochures would end up all over the ground. But it would show that someone can be Christian and not anti-Halloween.
                The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                my brother's

Comment

I would submit that people who do these sorts of things are actually anti Halloween. At least the way most people view Halloween.

Some churches do have "normal" Halloween celebrations. Mine has, I actually had a Halloween party for the kids one year (no, not a "fall celebration" a bona fide Halloween party.) The priest's wife came dressed as a witch. Complete with a green face and a wart on her nose.

We don't all have corn cobs stuck up our asses. Some of us recognize a chance for a little fun for what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post

Actually sums up my feelings fairly well. Hell Houses = run by dumbasses.
                    I particularly love the line about "I'm trying to show you assholes some Christly love here"

The last frame though, the author says something in the note that is similar to what I've told my mother.
                    "Christianity has been and always will be about hate. Hate the Muslims, hate the Jews, hate the Blacks, hate the Gays... whoever it is they hate, that is what they will always be about. That and cowardice. While that may not be what the majority of people believe, that is what the leadership believe and that is what will define the religion along with the majorities cowardice in not overthrowing the leadership that paints them all with the brush of hatred"

Back on the topic of the so called 'hell houses'. I'm not shocked in the least that they exist. More and more people are seeing Christians as a hateful group of people, so the traditional route of converting people with love isn't working so the fringe is turning to using fear.
                    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      I particularly love the line about "I'm trying to show you assholes some Christly love here"

The last frame though, the author says something in the note that is similar to what I've told my mother.
                      "Christianity has been and always will be about hate. Hate the Muslims, hate the Jews, hate the Blacks, hate the Gays... whoever it is they hate, that is what they will always be about. That and cowardice. While that may not be what the majority of people believe, that is what the leadership believe and that is what will define the religion along with the majorities cowardice in not overthrowing the leadership that paints them all with the brush of hatred"

Back on the topic of the so called 'hell houses'. I'm not shocked in the least that they exist. More and more people are seeing Christians as a hateful group of people, so the traditional route of converting people with love isn't working so the fringe is turning to using fear.
                      Actually, you misread the note if that's what you got out of it. That was basically saying that there's nothing wrong with Christianity itself, or many of its leaders, just the loud jackasses that trot their faith out every time they get a chance.
                      "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
                      A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        I would submit that people who do these sorts of things are actually anti Halloween. At least the way most people view Halloween.

Some churches do have "normal" Halloween celebrations. Mine has, I actually had a Halloween party for the kids one year (no, not a "fall celebration" a bona fide Halloween party.) The priest's wife came dressed as a witch. Complete with a green face and a wart on her nose.

We don't all have corn cobs stuck up our asses. Some of us recognize a chance for a little fun for what it is.
                        Then, you have churches that have a "trunk or treat" where kids go to cars in the parking lot to get candy. If it's on some other night of the week, especially if Halloween falls on Sunday, then they leave their porch lights off to non-members, and if they invite someone to that event, it's really a ploy to get them to attend church the following Sunday, and often includes having people ride bikes to knock on doors.

Comment

Adoyle, you obviously are very familiar with the Mormon church (one of the local columnists in the SL Trib has been slamming the church for using that practice as an underhanded way to both exclude non-members on Halloween and get converts by making it seem like that is the only way that the children will interact... Utah is famous for Mormons viewing their neighbors as nothing more than potential converts).
                          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            Adoyle, you obviously are very familiar with the Mormon church (one of the local columnists in the SL Trib has been slamming the church for using that practice as an underhanded way to both exclude non-members on Halloween and get converts by making it seem like that is the only way that the children will interact... Utah is famous for Mormons viewing their neighbors as nothing more than potential converts).
                            Just Utah, seems like a huge part of doctrine, I meanyeah they have that whoe live and let worship God how they feel in their articles of faith, but you know I don't think I've ever seen it practiced.

Comment

Working...
                            X