No announcement yet.

The "flood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course a flood happened - lots of them...

Given we're still in the warmer part of an ice-age, and such warmer times come and go (across tens of thousands of years), it would make sense that some flooding - even flash flooding - may occur.

Yes, there is the geological evidence across the planet for it (remember, at one stage, most of inland Australia was one massive lake!)

Is it the Flood as referred to in the Bible? Well, take a bit of history, add some religion, add some more religion, and you've got yourself a great tale to make yourself feel important, and to keep the followers in line (ie, Sodom and Gomorrah).

As for connecting it to other 'myths'... well, just because A is hogwash is no reason to automatically presume that B, C and D are as well! (IMHO, Jesus was a person who lived about a couple of thousand years ago,and had a message to preach.. not to differently to today... right time, right place - religion!)

(FTR, I'm what would be called a "9/11 Truther"... as per my thread on the topic...)
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

See, here's my take on the flood story: Did it happen? Who knows. It doesn't matter.

The message is what matters. Guy takes a leap of faith, against all odds, against ridicule, against what is humanly possible. He does it anyway. He holds his faith tight and leaps into the storm.

I don't think the point is that it happned. The point is in the lesson.

But then, I'm Episcopalean and probably going to The Bad Place anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        See, here's my take on the flood story: Did it happen? Who knows. It doesn't matter.

The message is what matters. Guy takes a leap of faith, against all odds, against ridicule, against what is humanly possible. He does it anyway. He holds his faith tight and leaps into the storm.

I don't think the point is that it happned. The point is in the lesson.

But then, I'm Episcopalean and probably going to The Bad Place anyways.
        Then that makes Aesop's fables equally important as biblical parables, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
          In terms of taking lessons for life from them, yes.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
            Depends on what context you personally place these stories in, but sure. Guess that depends on the person doing the reading.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Depends on what context you personally place these stories in, but sure. Guess that depends on the person doing the reading.
              Eh, context is too often used for moral relativism and justification for their books showing heroes doing evil.

Lot doing his daughters was ok, because they got him drunk first.
              Lot trying to give his daughters instead of the angels masquerading as human visitors to the mob outside his door
              All of Leviticus and its edicts that no one today follows... except that one about raping your male slaves like your female ones being bad meaning gay is wrong.

You have to put them "in context" to make any of that crap non-objectionable.

Comment

That's not really what I mean.

My point is that sometimes the point of the story is not in the details or even if it's true or not.

Comment

Working...
                X