Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick or treaters side with the devil, according to church group

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0U29YpwPf

At first, I wondered if this was a joke, but apparently these nutjobs are serious. O.o
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Apparaently they don't want kids celebrating pagan festivals.....

(from what I know, I think Halloween had its roots as Samhain, the pagan/Wicca festival)

Comment

Not exactly. Christianity pulled its standard "We're going to put our festival on the same day as this other one, so it's easier for converting people" shtick. All Hallow's Eve and All Saint's Day (Nov. 1) have really nothing to do with Samhain.
      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

If God created everything, then God created the devil. If we are to celebrate God's creation, we must celebrate the devil as well. Despite all the evil he has done, he is still one of God's creations. "Love thy enemy," no?

Of course, assuming there is a God and devil and stuff...
        The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
        my brother's

Comment

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Plus I'm not turning down free candy.
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0U29YpwPf

At first, I wondered if this was a joke, but apparently these nutjobs are serious. O.o
            I love these people, because then you can go to town on Christmas on them, and they'll have no defense. Granted, it's more out of personal amusement in watching hypocrites twist in the wind.

a) Jesus was *not* born in December, because shepherds would not have their flocks out during the chill Palestinian winter nights.

b) Christmas was actually created out of Saturnalia, a Roman festival celebrated by massive orgies.
            "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
            A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

God bless the Romans and their orgies.
              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

The masks that are worn today are from the traditional masks that protected people from the dead that came back. If the dead recognized a person that person would be taken to the land of the dead.

It was probably a harvest festival back then too.

Of course, why doesn't this surprise me that people are so scared of a holiday that is not truly "christian" (term used loosely)
                "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Originally posted by tabbyblack13 View Post
                  Of course, why doesn't this surprise me that people are so scared of a holiday that is not truly "christian" (term used loosely)
                  Fear is a fundamental part of many religions. "If you don't do what we say our divinity wants, the results will be pretty bad."

Feel like offending against the Roman gods and goddesses? Their buddy Pluto would sort you out in the Underworld. Don't be nice? The reincarnationists will have you going through the pain of life again. Christian religions have hell and the like.

None of these punishments can be proven - it's fear of what may happen.

Rapscallion
                  Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                  Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                    None of these punishments can be proven - it's fear of what may happen.

Rapscallion
                    It's so hard to not let fear run your life even when atheist.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade Man D View Post
                      I love these people, because then you can go to town on Christmas on them, and they'll have no defense. Granted, it's more out of personal amusement in watching hypocrites twist in the wind.

a) Jesus was *not* born in December, because shepherds would not have their flocks out during the chill Palestinian winter nights.

b) Christmas was actually created out of Saturnalia, a Roman festival celebrated by massive orgies.
                      correct. as stated before. the christians made 'christmas' on the day it's on in order to convert others (winter solstice, dec 21 a hugely important day in many pagan religions).

and the whole 'jesus wasn't born on xmas' thing is totally true. the thign i don't get is religious people arguing against it because they've (i dont know who 'they' are i read an article few years back. god help me finding it now lol) basically looked at star patterns etc. etc. from way back then and found he was born sometime in june or july.

this SHOULD make christians happy as it shows that YES some dude named JESUS was most likely born. huzzah!

but no they argue 'bday, xmas. waaaaah ur all going to hell!' (ok not ALL argue i'm not trying to offend any cool christians here i'm talking about the small, yet vocal minority (is there any other kind?) that bitch about anything not 'right' in their eyes))

Comment

Originally posted by MergedLoki View Post
                        correct. as stated before. the christians made 'christmas' on the day it's on in order to convert others (winter solstice, dec 21 a hugely important day in many pagan religions).

and the whole 'jesus wasn't born on xmas' thing is totally true. the thign i don't get is religious people arguing against it because they've (i dont know who 'they' are i read an article few years back. god help me finding it now lol) basically looked at star patterns etc. etc. from way back then and found he was born sometime in june or july.

this SHOULD make christians happy as it shows that YES some dude named JESUS was most likely born. huzzah!

but no they argue 'bday, xmas. waaaaah ur all going to hell!' (ok not ALL argue i'm not trying to offend any cool christians here i'm talking about the small, yet vocal minority (is there any other kind?) that bitch about anything not 'right' in their eyes))
                        I've never heard any indisputable claims of Jesus every existing let alone when he was born. I've read wild claims about nightsky oddities that may have been mistranslated as a star. But no one agrees, exept to state that there wasn't any in year one when the calendar likes to state it.

Though surviving in a manger in the middle of a winter night would have been a whole other miricle.

Comment

I thought year one was about when he was thirty because he didn't start becoming heavily noticed till around then, why would they start the new calendar right as he's born when most people wouldn't know who he was.

Comment

Feh. We get these humorless nutjobs year after year.

Whatev. They bore me. They can think what they want.

As for me, I will quote my hero Hank Hill:

"Trick..... Or...... Treat."

Comment

I was raised by a very religious mother, and she taught me that the devil cannot get to you and neither can any of Satan's minions if you believe in the power and protection of Christ.

She's one of the most religious people I know, and she has never had an issue with Halloween or trick or treating....well, except that I had to stop when I reached about 12.

Comment

Working...
                              X